Welcome to Gaia! ::

...so do you? Or do you find it distracting? :]

Timid Gawker

Mhmm, I never listen to music with words though. I usually pick a soothing, instrumental lullaby. Listening to someone sing chases away forming thoughts I plan to write or type out. That or I end up writing the lyrics.
iKilledzYerNoodlez
Mhmm, I never listen to music with words though. I usually pick a soothing, instrumental lullaby. Listening to someone sing chases away forming thoughts I plan to write or type out. That or I end up writing the lyrics.

I totally agree with you, but in different circtumstances. I'm afraid that it will mess up the mood of the scene that I am writing. For instance, if my ipod shuffles to a classical song, and i'm writing a violent scene, it usually makes me change the mood of my writing. sweatdrop
Certain songs have certain effects on me. Some make me want to dance or sing, others make me feel creative. I like listening to DJ Okwari and Nujabes while I write.
If I do, which lately is rare, I listen to classical, The Black Mages, Celtic Woman, that sort of thing. Instrumental soundtracks. You get the idea.
Eurythmics, final fantasy with lyrics, Van Canto stuff, and some book of Mormon. I'm trying to get my Brony music to work on my player.

5,550 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
If I do, it has to be instrumental because I tend to sing along to every song with lyrics.. Which is something I find quite impossible to do while trying to write at the same time.
I used to listen to music a lot while I wrote but nowadays it seems to slow my writing process a bit. If I turn it low enough, it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Naw, it distracts me.
Yes! I hate it when I can't listen to music while writing. Music makes the words flow faster and helps me focus. I'm the opposite though. I need music with lyrics or else it's distracting.
I used to listen to music (with lyrics) when I was younger. However, now I just need some sort of background noise. It can be a TV, someone talking, music, a movie, anything really unless it's obnoxiously loud. Other times I don't need anything to write. I'm not a big music fan so I don't need it.

Shy Pup

13,775 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Yes, sometimes I do. But then, I usually listen to music all the time.

7,950 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
If I have a song that corresponds with a certain scene or character, I'll listen to it before I write or while I take a break to get to that place, but I don't listen while I'm writing.

Half because it distracts me, and half because I have to steal writing time when I can, and that might mean ten minutes while the kids are distracted by a toy or book or show, and any sound coming from my computer is going to break that reverie of theirs and they'll be on top of me in five seconds: Can I see, Mommy? What's that? Can I listen too?

Heart Consumer

ALWAYS! Hardly am I ever without it. :3

Fashionable Prophet

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I always have music playing, usually I'm listening to ambient (Brain Eno, The Album Leaf, Explosions in the Sky) when I write. I find it's good driving music and good writing music.

I also listen to music in a playlist that I created that starts mellow and then works up to get really exciting and then calms down again.

I find I can't have movies or television on when I write because I start to copy what's happening in them. When I'm on a big project, I don't read or watch anything at all until I'm done so that I can't be influenced.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff