Welcome to Gaia! ::

How far do people like description?

I was reading the thread about what writers do that annoy people the most and I noticed a lot of people said decription. Sure, they liked it but at some points it was getting ridiculous.

I, personally, strive to be descriptive in my writing (and often find it hard) but now I'm not to sure. How far do people like their descriptive writing to be? I mean, as a reader?

Wheezing Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
Leesa-Chan
How far do people like description?

I was reading the thread about what writers do that annoy people the most and I noticed a lot of people said decription. Sure, they liked it but at some points it was getting ridiculous.

I, personally, strive to be descriptive in my writing (and often find it hard) but now I'm not to sure. How far do people like their descriptive writing to be? I mean, as a reader?

there is no limit to the descriptive pleasures a true author may conjur up for the sheer joy and splendid entertainment of his audience. it's all mind candy, and if you can't sit down and chew through it all, you need to pace yourself, and not have so many sweets. whee
Some people like things to be vibrantly descripted with tons of great adjectives and phrases, and some... Simply don't. I myself thrive off active and realistic dialogue and characters.
It all depends on your prefered reading or writing styles. If you like being descriptive, go for it. Don't change your style just because some people don't like to read long paragraphs. No matter what your style is, there's bound to be an audience out there for it. Unless it's just plain bad. Then you might wanna try something else.
Nuele
Some people like things to be vibrantly descripted with tons of great adjectives and phrases, and some... Simply don't.

To quote Steven King, "The road to hell is paved with adjectives."

Some people really do hate all the flowery adjectives and descriptive words, but other love them. I think it's all up to your own preference as to how you write. But a book with too little discription might as well be written as a script with boring stage notes in it. *Shrug*
mages_shade
Nuele
Some people like things to be vibrantly descripted with tons of great adjectives and phrases, and some... Simply don't.

Some people really do hate all the flowery adjectives and descriptive words, but other love them. I think it's all up to your own preference as to how you write. But a book with too little discription might as well be written as a script with boring stage notes in it. *Shrug*

Actually, the quote is "The road to hell is paved with adverbs". whee

Anyway, your point is still valid. I find that oftentimes, only one adjective is enough. Instead of saying "Her black and shining hair", I'd say "black hair" or "shining hair".

But that's just me. I don't mind either way when I read it.
I like description. But after something is being described for more that 10 sentences, it begins to drag on.
Harry Mile
mages_shade
Nuele

Actually, the quote is "The road to hell is paved with adverbs". whee

Anyway, your point is still valid. I find that oftentimes, only one adjective is enough. Instead of saying "Her black and shining hair", I'd say "black hair" or "shining hair".

But that's just me. I don't mind either way when I read it.

whee stressed The moral of this story: Don't quote people when you're half awake and multi-tasking.
In my experience, load the story with descriptions, but don't frontload. Basically, frontloading (for those who don't know) is packing all the detail at the beginning of a scene or story and leaving it dry pickings at the end. To space out what is happenning, what's going on, etc.. it makes it a smoother story, imo. You get a blend.
It also depends on the length of your work. You wouldn't use loads and loads of description in a novel, but you might for a two page story and even more, I'd guess, in a poem. In my opinion, it's all about making it smooth, like JCD said.
Description is wonderful. Unless a certain author introduces a minor character, states in so many words that he shall have no further bearing on the sotry....and then goes on for sixty pages about this charcter. Now, I love Victor Hugo, but...God.

Tipsy Bloodsucker

6,325 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Generous 100
Descriptive writing that doesn't drag on for too long is nice to read, because you can visualize the setting, people, etc. My writing is quite descriptive...
I love writers who are good at imagery.
When I think about it, in asking about the amount of description one should use, somewhere along the line you target audience should be taken into consideration. Who do you expect to read your work? Most times when a younger person, (as in gradeschool) looks through a book and sees long paragraphs and what-not, they usually return it to the shelf without a second thought. However, if you plan to write for an older audience, description is usually well appreciated. People like help in forming images in thier minds about what they are reading. In my opinion, you should try not to over-do it, but definatly not under-do it. I actually have a severe problem in determining the amount of description I should use in my work, so I'm probably not much help. I just wanted to post what I thought might be of some assistence, since the topic had not been brought up yet. (and am secretly praying to the gaian gods that I don't get flamed, as I am new to the advice-giving!) Have fun with your work! blaugh
A good description is poetic, precise, a little vague and covers the most important parts of whatever is being described, but without drowning the reader in adjectives.
I love description, provided the author is describing the right things in the right way. The writing shouldn't be overly flowery, especially if you're describing, say, a block of cheese, but it shouldn't be really short and weak either, especially if you're describing, say, the most beautiful castle in the entire kingdom and it's the setting for the entire book.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff