Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Gekko

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It sounds like a good read to me. smile Besides, from what you've said, it sounds like you already addressed the issue in your planning, so I say go for it!

Friendly Informer

3,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Informer 100
PKMN Breeder Aello
What are you looking for when you say you're interested in a "strong" female MC? Just for curiosity's sake. 3nodding Do you mean a female who can actually physically defend herself? Or is a female who might need someone to come beat up all the monsters but is strong intellectually or in spirit enough? If the female was the one pulling the strings the whole time, as in she had deliberately put herself in the paladin's path knowing that he would choose to help her so that she could further her own plans to bring down the main antagonist, would that make it any different?

I don't know that I'll be changing anything in my story, I'm just really interested in what people actually look for in a strong FMC. Anyone else can feel free to throw their two cents in as well. 3nodding

I think it's a bit of both, to be honest. I love a heroine that can kick butt but it's also nice to read about one that may need a bit of assistance. Take Makedde Vanderwall from Tara Moss' series of the same name, for example. She has this strong, independent quality about her but there's times where she's completely helpless and needs the assistance of Andy Flynn and the rest of the police force. Anyone that isn't totally "woe is me" and just takes the back seat, really - if that makes sense.

I think the "pulling strings" scenario you mentioned is actually really clever. It's devious and I don't think that would change my thoughts on her that much. I might find myself annoyed by her unwillingness to actually contribute, but it would all be part of her master plan. I like how cunning it would be.

I hope my response makes sense, I have trouble explaining myself most of the time.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
LovexoSteph
PKMN Breeder Aello
What are you looking for when you say you're interested in a "strong" female MC? Just for curiosity's sake. 3nodding Do you mean a female who can actually physically defend herself? Or is a female who might need someone to come beat up all the monsters but is strong intellectually or in spirit enough? If the female was the one pulling the strings the whole time, as in she had deliberately put herself in the paladin's path knowing that he would choose to help her so that she could further her own plans to bring down the main antagonist, would that make it any different?

I don't know that I'll be changing anything in my story, I'm just really interested in what people actually look for in a strong FMC. Anyone else can feel free to throw their two cents in as well. 3nodding

I think it's a bit of both, to be honest. I love a heroine that can kick butt but it's also nice to read about one that may need a bit of assistance. Take Makedde Vanderwall from Tara Moss' series of the same name, for example. She has this strong, independent quality about her but there's times where she's completely helpless and needs the assistance of Andy Flynn and the rest of the police force. Anyone that isn't totally "woe is me" and just takes the back seat, really - if that makes sense.

I think the "pulling strings" scenario you mentioned is actually really clever. It's devious and I don't think that would change my thoughts on her that much. I might find myself annoyed by her unwillingness to actually contribute, but it would all be part of her master plan. I like how cunning it would be.

I hope my response makes sense, I have trouble explaining myself most of the time.

What if the strings were all she had at her disposal?

Friendly Informer

3,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Informer 100
I_Write_Ivre

Good question. Hmm... honestly, I'm not too sure. I think I might not like that character that much if that was all she could do to influence the situation. Reminds me of the MC that used to tick me off, to be honest. But it'd probably all depend on how the character is written. If she's portrayed well, then I don't think I would mind as much as I would if she was just another Bella Swan.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
LovexoSteph
I_Write_Ivre

Good question. Hmm... honestly, I'm not too sure. I think I might not like that character that much if that was all she could do to influence the situation. Reminds me of the MC that used to tick me off, to be honest. But it'd probably all depend on how the character is written. If she's portrayed well, then I don't think I would mind as much as I would if she was just another Bella Swan.

That's valid.

I'm trying to see what I can do with an MC of mine in a Stargate fanfic. She's the owner of a business and is the head of an intergalactic peace federation. She's meant to be physically small in contrast to the women from some sort of army. I wanted to find a way to have a female whose strength came from intelligence, integrity, and morals.

Any suggestions?
LovexoSteph
PKMN Breeder Aello

It makes perfect sense, thanks! I'm glad I_Write_Ivre asked that question because at this point in the story, pulling strings is really all the priestess does have to influence the situation.

It would help if I would tell you guys the actual scenario and why she can't do anything, but I guess it might suffice to say that its a reversible medical condition. I don't really tell anyone the crux of any of my plots. I feel like it jinxes it somehow. Only my boyfriend knows. o.o

She's no Bella Swan, though. She prefers her autonomy. She's just not going to try to take down a squad of guards on her own knowing perfectly well she's going to be bound and dragged away again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff