Welcome to Gaia! ::

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Shuglite Paris

Listen here kiddo, if you don't have anything such as actual pointers, writing tips or writing advice to add to my thread, DON'T POST AT ALL! Under no circumstances do I tolerate profanity and I will have NONE of it in my thread here! stressed talk2hand

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Princess Zelda21
I_Write_Ivre
Why does he care to take the throne? What will he rule? Does wherever he will rule have enemies or trading partners? What about defensive pacts?

What kind of woman is he seeking? Should she be good at politics, love him, be fertile, a good fighter, or just dump the baby with him and never get involved?

Why does he even want a woman? Isn't he the only one who can claim the throne? How will marriage/sex/a kid secure it for him?

Hmm... Would you mind giving me a few examples please? It would really help me out a lot! I don't think I'll be including much of the political stuff though.

Of which?

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
I_Write_Ivre
Princess Zelda21
I_Write_Ivre
Why does he care to take the throne? What will he rule? Does wherever he will rule have enemies or trading partners? What about defensive pacts?

What kind of woman is he seeking? Should she be good at politics, love him, be fertile, a good fighter, or just dump the baby with him and never get involved?

Why does he even want a woman? Isn't he the only one who can claim the throne? How will marriage/sex/a kid secure it for him?

Hmm... Would you mind giving me a few examples please? It would really help me out a lot! I don't think I'll be including much of the political stuff though.

Of which?

Um, examples of the 2nd and 3rd group of questions will do for now.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Princess Zelda21
I_Write_Ivre
Princess Zelda21
I_Write_Ivre

Of which?

Um, examples of the 2nd and 3rd group of questions will do for now.

A king wanting a queen good at politics means she can take over while he's busy, sick, dead, or just lazy. It also means she's going to damn well hold onto that throne, heir or not.

Love is pretty straightforward, though it tends not to be all that great in a monarchy in the long-run.

Wanting a good fighter means the queen will be a great leader in battle and likely to fend off foes and potential rapists or murderers, but it'd also mean she's athletic and carries healthy genes.

As a king, if all he wants is an heir, even a legitimate one, he doesn't need her for long. At most,t he baby needs the mother until its weaned, though even today there are wetnurses and alternatives.

Then again, if he's the sole heir, he has no competitors (other than people intending to kill him and usurp the throne by force). If his parents die, he get the throne anyway. If he's married, he probably has to share it (and if he doesn't, she's just a babymaker).

I know those aren't exactly examples, but they're explanation that should help.
I know you stated earlier in this thread that you only wanted to focus on the villain, but I really recommend that you research Hyrule's setting since it's an very built up world and picking which Hyrule and time line for your story can greatly affect your characters. I suggest looking up the Hyrule Historia somewhere, since that will not only give you a run down of each of the games but also a little bit of info on the back stories and how they all connect. (It's subject to change depending on future Zelda games, but for now it'd be a really great place to start when developing plot and characters.)

For instance, there are multiple wars and certain times where demons attacked Hyrule (both in and outside of the games) and I'm afraid it'd be really hard to avoid politics if your main character is traveling.

Is this during a war time? If so, would your villain use that to his advantage somehow? If Ganon or Vaati was around, would the character try to work with them or compete against them? If they are sealed in the master/four sword, would he find out or do anything about it if he did? Does this take place during one of the games or between them? Is there a Link (usually his reincarnation doesn't appear unless Hyrule will be in great danger. There is a timeline without his reincarnations, but that's the one where Hyrule sinks under the sea)? Is there a Zelda (most girls in the royal family are called Zelda as tradition, so if you have a different princess they'll need to be a younger sister or another good reason why she isn't named Zelda)? Does this Zelda have power and would this be something your demon prince would be interested in? Is there a King?

Developing your main character more can also help develop your prince. What qualities in her would he admire and why (remember to keep consistent - he can't admire her bravery but think someone else's bravery is stupid or misplaced)? What qualities would he dislike? Does his opinion of her change over time? How and why? What do they have in common (hobbies, likes, aspirations, etc.)? What are their differences? Does she notice him or ignore him for the most part at first? How would this make him feel? What qualities does your OC admire and which ones would be present in him?

Again, I really recommend you read through the Hyrule Historia (there are youtube videos that review it if you have trouble finding an online pdf or something) at least once and consider each timeline/setting carefully. Hyrule isn't a place where you can ignore what's going on in the kingdom (hence why most of the games start out with Link just minding his own business when the main conflict happens that drags him into it), ESPECIALLY if your characters will be traveling since political relations will definitely have an affect on how other races in the kingdom perceive your character. (Ex: In Twilight Princess, the gorons made a big effort to keep other races away due to internal problems caused when one of their kind encountered a fused shadow. However, they were much more welcoming to other races during peace times and other games.) Technology and what races are around also differ immensely from game to game.

(I'm currently reading Sailor Moon so don't know much about it but I'm a HUGE Zelda fan so if you ever want to talk about aspects of your story pertaining to that series, feel free to PM me. ^.^ I'd be happy to give info or bounce ideas around. )

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Kairi Nightingale
I know you stated earlier in this thread that you only wanted to focus on the villain, but I really recommend that you research Hyrule's setting since it's an very built up world and picking which Hyrule and time line for your story can greatly affect your characters. I suggest looking up the Hyrule Historia somewhere, since that will not only give you a run down of each of the games but also a little bit of info on the back stories and how they all connect. (It's subject to change depending on future Zelda games, but for now it'd be a really great place to start when developing plot and characters.)

For instance, there are multiple wars and certain times where demons attacked Hyrule (both in and outside of the games) and I'm afraid it'd be really hard to avoid politics if your main character is traveling.

Is this during a war time? If so, would your villain use that to his advantage somehow? If Ganon or Vaati was around, would the character try to work with them or compete against them? If they are sealed in the master/four sword, would he find out or do anything about it if he did? Does this take place during one of the games or between them? Is there a Link (usually his reincarnation doesn't appear unless Hyrule will be in great danger. There is a timeline without his reincarnations, but that's the one where Hyrule sinks under the sea)? Is there a Zelda (most girls in the royal family are called Zelda as tradition, so if you have a different princess they'll need to be a younger sister or another good reason why she isn't named Zelda)? Does this Zelda have power and would this be something your demon prince would be interested in? Is there a King?

Developing your main character more can also help develop your prince. What qualities in her would he admire and why (remember to keep consistent - he can't admire her bravery but think someone else's bravery is stupid or misplaced)? What qualities would he dislike? Does his opinion of her change over time? How and why? What do they have in common (hobbies, likes, aspirations, etc.)? What are their differences? Does she notice him or ignore him for the most part at first? How would this make him feel? What qualities does your OC admire and which ones would be present in him?

Again, I really recommend you read through the Hyrule Historia (there are youtube videos that review it if you have trouble finding an online pdf or something) at least once and consider each timeline/setting carefully. Hyrule isn't a place where you can ignore what's going on in the kingdom (hence why most of the games start out with Link just minding his own business when the main conflict happens that drags him into it), ESPECIALLY if your characters will be traveling since political relations will definitely have an affect on how other races in the kingdom perceive your character. (Ex: In Twilight Princess, the gorons made a big effort to keep other races away due to internal problems caused when one of their kind encountered a fused shadow. However, they were much more welcoming to other races during peace times and other games.) Technology and what races are around also differ immensely from game to game.

(I'm currently reading Sailor Moon so don't know much about it but I'm a HUGE Zelda fan so if you ever want to talk about aspects of your story pertaining to that series, feel free to PM me. ^.^ I'd be happy to give info or bounce ideas around. )

I'm sorry for not replying sooner! You're right Kairi, there's a lot of things I still need to think about and try to include in my crossover story. Thank you very much for your assistance here with the Legend of Zelda part in my thread. I seem to be enjoying discussing this and the Sailor Moon series with you and the others who have also posted here by far. Hmm, let's see, Link, Zelda, Impa and the king will be in it by far. For the general landscape, I'll be using the map from the Gamecube version of "Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess." The setting in general takes place after the Twilight Wars, so it will be a time of peace in Hyrule. I'm still currently trying to figure out how each of the Sailor Senshi make their appearance in Hyrule, since my original character will encounter them along her journey, along with one other original character who happens to also be a Sailor Senshi as an angel. Each of the Sailor Senshi will make an appearance in a different location within Hyrule. (Yes, I did get permission to use the original angel Sailor Senshi character from the original owner for my Legend of Zelda/Sailor Moon crossover story.) As for other villains, I haven't decided yet. I still don't have a name for the demon prince though. I do have a question. Could you give me a few examples of some qualities the demon prince might admire about the girl and why, some he might dislike and possibly some that could be present in him? I'm a bit stuck at the moment to be honest. ^_^*
Princess Zelda21

I'm sorry for not replying sooner! You're right Kairi, there's a lot of things I still need to think about and try to include in my crossover story. Thank you very much for your assistance here with the Legend of Zelda part in my thread. I seem to be enjoying discussing this and the Sailor Moon series with you and the others who have also posted here by far.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me and glad to hear you're still working on it. ^.^ I'm happy my last post was useful to you.

Quote:
Hmm, let's see, Link, Zelda, Impa and the king will be in it by far. For the general landscape, I'll be using the map from the Gamecube version of "Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess." The setting in general takes place after the Twilight Wars, so it will be a time of peace in Hyrule.

It might be worth noting that Impa or any mention of the Sheikah race (that I can remember) doesn't appear in Twilight Princess or Four Swords Adventure. This might imply that they died out during this timeline, though it doesn't directly say that in the Historia. Just thought I mention it. You could still use an Impa - I wouldn't have a problem with it since a long line of Impas had worked in the family before that and so the name could still be commonly used. I don't know if you could make her a Sheikah though, unless you decide to come with a reason as to why they were missing from Twilight Princess, which could be interesting.

On the other hand, you could also use the opportunity to fill in the position of Nursemaid/personal caretaker and protector/royal guard captain with an original character, perhaps from the Sailor Moon verse. In fact, you might even consider that position for your main character, since I think you mentioned that she lived/worked in the castle or something. An order from Princess Zelda herself could result in her traveling Hyrule on an adventure. Just a thought.

(If you already had and idea for her position and you went over this in the thread, I apologize. It's been a while since I looked at this topic and while I scanned over it as a quick review, I could easily be missing details. sweatdrop )

How long after Twilight Princess is this story going to be set? If it's right after the game, using the same Link and Zelda, then I don't think there would be King since it sort of implies that Zelda was the sole royal family member during the game. If it's a couple generations, then a King could be had but you'll have to consider whether your Link is related to TP Link since this might affect what job he currently has and whether he still has a relationship with the royal family. You'll also have to consider whether Link is going to play any role in the story or if he's just going to be a simple bystander this time around, holding little more than a cameo appearance. Either could work.

Quote:
I'm still currently trying to figure out how each of the Sailor Senshi make their appearance in Hyrule, since my original character will encounter them along her journey, along with one other original character who happens to also be a Sailor Senshi as an angel. Each of the Sailor Senshi will make an appearance in a different location within Hyrule. (Yes, I did get permission to use the original angel Sailor Senshi character from the original owner for my Legend of Zelda/Sailor Moon crossover story.)

In Four Swords Adventure, the game after Twilight Princess in the timeline, there are six sacred/magical maidens throughout the kingdom that you must save. I know that there are more than six Sailor Scouts but I think it'd be cool if you tried to link the Sailor Scouts' appearances after the Twilight Wars to those six girls in the future. I don't have any specific ideas for that at the moment, but it's at least something to consider. (Just as a note, several hundred years span the time between Twilight Princess and Four Swords Adventures, so the link between the six maidens and the Sailor Scouts may turn out to be extremely minor at best depending on how soon after the Twilight Wars this happens.)

It really depends on how the Sailor Scouts got there - or if they were there already - and why. What purpose were you hoping that the Sailor Scouts would serve for your female MC in the story? Were they going to unlock her powers as a Sailor Scout or serve as guides of some sort? Or is it her mission to find these Sailor Scouts in order to recruit their help to defeat the enemy/problem she's trying to fix? Or does she meet one in the beginning of the story and is working to help her reunite with her friends and return home, in turn serving as a guide for them rather than the other way around? (Again, if you answered this in the thread, sorry! I wanted to respond to you quickly so I skimmed.)

Quote:
As for other villains, I haven't decided yet. I still don't have a name for the demon prince though. I do have a question. Could you give me a few examples of some qualities the demon prince might admire about the girl and why, some he might dislike and possibly some that could be present in him? I'm a bit stuck at the moment to be honest. ^_^*

Well, Ganon is officially killed by Link in Twilight Princess (although he's reborn again in Four Swords Adventure, but again that's hundreds of years later). But Vaati and the Four Sword should still be around somewhere, if you want to you use them. Or you could borrow a villain from the Sailor Scout universe, your demon boy's universe, or completely make up your own Hyrule villain based on preexisting ones. If you're just looking for conflicts along the journey, then simple monsters or using a series of antagonists rather than villains should do (although monsters usually only appear in Hyrule when there's a great evil haunting the land or a leak to an alternate dimension such as the demon world, twilight realm, corrupted sacred realm, dark world, etc.).

It'd be a lot easier making conflicts if you expanded on what your characters will actually be doing during the story. What's the actual plot - the big conflict - the goal that your girl is out to achieve? If I know that, I'd be able to give better ideas on what kind of villains, conflicts, and obstacles would be well suited for the story (including ideas for your demon prince). If you don't know yet, that's alright.

I don't have any ideas off the top of my head for the demon prince's name. Are you basing his background or culture off a real-world culture? Try looking up name lists for a particular culture or language. There are some name sites that even allow you to search for names by meaning, which would work perfectly fine in the crossover considering a lot of the Sailor Scouts and Hyrule characters were named simply after their role in the story or characterization. Ex: Hyrule: Navi = Navigator, Link = link between player and game, Midna = sounds a little like Midnight, and then there's the guy literally known as the Happy Mask Salesman. Ex: Sailor Moon: Usagi means bunny and was thus named due to her hair and rabbits being associated with the moon. Many of the villains also carry names signifying the current arc's theme, such as the guys named after the stones Jadeite, Nephrite, Zoisite, and Kunzite.

As for examples of qualities... well in your previous posts you described him as rebellious, stubborn, and overprotective. Stubborn people have a hard time getting along with other stubborn people since they aren't inclined to give up or give in. If your girl is stubborn as well, that could be one thing they both find frustrating about each other. However, since he himself is rebellious towards authority, he might find those that easily submit to be weak. So even though he may get frustrated about not getting his way, he might also admire the fact that she's willing to stand up for herself. There's honestly a million and one ways you could come up with for the two to get along/not get along but hopefully that gives you an idea of how their personalities could fit into it.

There's also habits, customs, traditions, social norms, and hobbies that each have which could affect how they interact, react, or think of each other. He's a demon, but what does being a demon entail? I'm sure your girl would find it disgusting and unacceptable if he were to drink blood or eat raw meat for example. What about the other way around - what would humans eat that he might find unacceptable as sustenance? Pumpkins, fish, and milk seem like food staples throughout the Zelda series, but what if he refuses to eat any of that because it's commoner food or if he literally can't digest such products? What would your girl think of his pickiness?

An even better example: cuccos. What would happen if the demon prince looked at a cucco and thought 'oh, food!' while the girl at the same time thought 'oh, an animal we better respect lest we be damned to an eternal hell of feathery punishment'? Boom, conflict of interest. They're hungry, the girl knows better being from Hyrule but the boy dismisses her concerns as foolish because he's stubborn and rebellious so attacks the seemingly defenseless animal and promptly gets his butt handed to him by a flock of angry, godlike chickens. This might humble him slightly and perhaps listen to the girl more in the future since she was right. Bonus points if the girl finds a way to save him before the punishment gets too severe. (If you want to save your prince from physical harm and simultaneously follow Twilight Princess's mechanics closer, you can have the demon prince temporarily turn into a cucco instead. Wouldn't that be fun? lol I'm sure he'd learn a little more respect then.)

Hope this helped to at least get your creative flow going again. I'd love to help more, if you still want/need it. But if you don't mind, could you PM me or make a master post on here explaining everything that you have the for the story and characters so far so I can get a better idea of what you're going for here? It's okay if you feel uncomfortable giving out that much information about your project, but it'd really help if I had a better idea of what you have come up with and already have in mind for the plot/characters.

Timid Consumer

Don't forget the villain should fit the overall theme and tone of the story, as in it should make sense why they are there.

For an extreme example, if you were writing a slice of life story taking place out in the countryside "Little House On The Prairie" style, you're probably not gonna have a grim dark minigun toting CHAOS LORD KILLGORE THE EATER OF WORLDS as the main antagonist (unless you're writing a spoof, lol). Something like grumpy neighbor or stuck up rich rival would make better sense there.

Likewise the baddie's motivations, likes, dislikes, justifications, should be believable. As in the reader should be to walk a mile in their character's shoes and be able to get why this person thinks the way they do (with the exception to total monsters or alien beings that are meant to be scary. The less we understand about a monster, the scarier they are).

Sympathetic antagonists need to be understood as people, even if we don't agree with them or their leaps in logic frighten us. Monsters are allowed to be more ambiguous.
Kairi Nightingale
It might be worth noting that Impa or any mention of the Sheikah race (that I can remember) doesn't appear in Twilight Princess or Four Swords Adventure. This might imply that they died out during this timeline, though it doesn't directly say that in the Historia. Just thought I mention it.

Ehhh... there's a character named Impaz who appears in Twilight Princess. She's not confirmed to be a Sheikah but her eyes kind of give her away.
Maltese_Falcon91
Kairi Nightingale
It might be worth noting that Impa or any mention of the Sheikah race (that I can remember) doesn't appear in Twilight Princess or Four Swords Adventure. This might imply that they died out during this timeline, though it doesn't directly say that in the Historia. Just thought I mention it.

Ehhh... there's a character named Impaz who appears in Twilight Princess. She's not confirmed to be a Sheikah but her eyes kind of give her away.

Oh, yeah... She's the one in the Hidden Village, right? I completely forgot about that part. Never mind then! sweatdrop

(Thanks for correcting me.)
Kairi Nightingale
Oh, yeah... She's the one in the Hidden Village, right? I completely forgot about that part. Never mind then! sweatdrop

I looked it up on the Wiki and it claims that Impaz says she's the last of her tribe on the Sheikah page, but on her page it gives a quote from her talking about how she's the last inhabitant of the village:
Quote:
"My name is Impaz. I'm the last resident of this poor village. My name comes from the great one who built this village so long ago... This village was once the secret home of a proud tribe who served the royal family... But it fell into decline, and became infested with dangerous beasts. It's become an awful place..."

I've never been able to work up the willpower to finish Twilight Princess and I've never personally reached her, so I don't know if she says anything more that confirms she's the last of her kind, or if the person who wrote that page just didn't accurately remember the quote and thought she claimed to be the last Sheikah, when she really just said she was the last person living in Old Kakariko.

I also remember reading a theory that the Sheikah were the original Dark Interlopers. I have no idea if that holds any water or not, but considering all of the horrific things they were doing Underneath the Well, and in the Shadow Temple, I'd have a harder time believing that they weren't somehow responsible for the fused shadow.

Also their symbol appears on Zant's throne.
Maltese_Falcon91
Kairi Nightingale

I looked it up on the Wiki and it claims that Impaz says she's the last of her tribe on the Sheikah page, but on her page it gives a quote from her talking about how she's the last inhabitant of the village:
Quote:
"My name is Impaz. I'm the last resident of this poor village. My name comes from the great one who built this village so long ago... This village was once the secret home of a proud tribe who served the royal family... But it fell into decline, and became infested with dangerous beasts. It's become an awful place..."

I've never been able to work up the willpower to finish Twilight Princess and I've never personally reached her, so I don't know if she says anything more that confirms she's the last of her kind, or if the person who wrote that page just didn't accurately remember the quote and thought she claimed to be the last Sheikah, when she really just said she was the last person living in Old Kakariko.

I also remember reading a theory that the Sheikah were the original Dark Interlopers. I have no idea if that holds any water or not, but considering all of the horrific things they were doing Underneath the Well, and in the Shadow Temple, I'd have a harder time believing that they weren't somehow responsible for the fused shadow.

Also their symbol appears on Zant's throne.

I don't know about the Dark Interlopers. Vaati sports an eye symbol too and he had nothing to do with the Sheikah. That symbol reminds me a little more of his, actually, since the Sheikah symbol often has a tear underneath. Since Vaati is still sealed during Twilight Princess, I think it's just as viable that he developed a cult or something that later became the Interlopers.

As for Impaz, the more I think about it, the more I feel she was supposed to be Sheikah. The Hidden Village is not far from the present Kakariko Village. In Ocarina of Time, Impa was the leader of Kakariko Village which was strictly a Sheikah Village until Impa decided to open it up to the public. She even turned her house into a public archive of sorts. Ocarina of Time also establishes all Sheikah to be loyal to the royal family - I remember one of the villagers even saying that those born in the villager had a purpose serving the family when you're young Link. I find it weird, though, that the Historia decided to skip any mention of this.
Kairi Nightingale
I don't know about the Dark Interlopers. Vaati sports an eye symbol too and he had nothing to do with the Sheikah. That symbol reminds me a little more of his, actually, since the Sheikah symbol often has a tear underneath. Since Vaati is still sealed during Twilight Princess, I think it's just as viable that he developed a cult or something that later became the Interlopers.

Hmm, that's actually a good point about the eye symbol, and I really can't come up with a convincing counter-argument. I'll have to concede the point about the eye.

Though considering the Dark Interlopers and the Sheikah both made heavy use of shadow magic, and were... ethically challenged, I do still think there's probably a connection between the two.
Kairi Nightingale
As for Impaz, the more I think about it, the more I feel she was supposed to be Sheikah. The Hidden Village is not far from the present Kakariko Village. In Ocarina of Time, Impa was the leader of Kakariko Village which was strictly a Sheikah Village until Impa decided to open it up to the public. She even turned her house into a public archive of sorts.

It's probably safe to assume she was.
Kairi Nightingale
Ocarina of Time also establishes all Sheikah to be loyal to the royal family - I remember one of the villagers even saying that those born in the villager had a purpose serving the family when you're young Link. I find it weird, though, that the Historia decided to skip any mention of this.

Well, circa Ocarina of Time, all Sheikah really just means Impa. We also don't know when that agreement was formed, either. Those bodies in the Shadow Temple didn't torture themselves to death, so it's not too far fetched to assume that maybe the Sheikah and the Hylians weren't always so chummy.

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Bump... Anyone else wish to add some useful pointers or writing advice? confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff