Aged Prophet

6,925 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
I have a serial fanfic I'm writing and posting at AO3. I've noticed an interesting trend. Someone will find my fanfic when I'm in a later chapter and they will comment on it chapter by chapter as they read it over the course of the day.

I usually don't mind and say "Thank you for reading." But sometimes they try and direct the plot of my fic... Which is strange when they are responding to Chapter 3 and I'm on Chapter 11. Chapter 3 was posted several months ago.

What am I supposed to do about that? I get "Oh! You CAN'T do this!" But if I didn't do that then there would be no point to action in later chapters. sweatdrop

When I'm reading a serial story I wait until I catch up to the most recent chapter before I give my opinion on the plot... Mainly because I want to be sure what I see isn't addressed in LATER chapters.

I guess I want to know is... Is this a normal? It just seem strange to comment on plot chapter by chapter while in the process of reading multiple chapters in one sitting. Usually the questions you have are answered in later chapters... Right?

What do you say when you get a flood of "You can't do this!" "Why did this happen?" "You can't do this!" "You should make this happen..." over the course of a couple of hours?

I usually write one-shots. Is this typical response to writing serials? I can understand if they respond as each chapter is posted... And I'm fine with that. It just seems weird to respond to every single chapter as you read 11 chapters in a single sitting.