Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lord Zy's Wife

Greedy Bloodsucker

I am doing NaNoWriMo for the 3rd year in a row. I am at 28,928 words. But the story I was working on turned out to be a short one. I have no clue what to write now. I have tried to just write and see if anything comes but that is not working. Anyone got any ideas on how to deal will NaNo block?
Well, that story seems done. Move on. Hit up a plot generator and see what comes up. Go for a walk and see if anything jumps into your mind. Read the paper. You'll find an idea. Develop it and see where it goes.

Not a writer's block. Just a "I don't know what to write" which is easily fixed.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Clean cup New Project, move down!

Lord Zy's Wife

Greedy Bloodsucker

I have been trying to write a new story but haven't gotten anywhere. When ever I do NaNo all my stories end up short. The rest of the year I work on long ones. I am not sure why NaNo stories end up short for me. Maybe it's because of the lack of thinking long tearm and I just write to see where things go for NaNo.
You're probably not developing them as much, rushing through them due to the Nano deadline, or any number of other factors.

All that matters is that you're writing and enjoying it.

Next year, develop an idea just for Nano. Outline it. Make sure it's something complex enough to write in a month, but not so complex that a month really not enough based off how many words you plan to write a day. It's a tricky balance.

Could also come packing several other ideas, so if you finish early and want to press on with the daily goal still, you still have stuff to work without having to develop them much.
Kendra4313
I have been trying to write a new story but haven't gotten anywhere. When ever I do NaNo all my stories end up short. The rest of the year I work on long ones. I am not sure why NaNo stories end up short for me. Maybe it's because of the lack of thinking long tearm and I just write to see where things go for NaNo.

Don't get too caught up in the 50k words part of Nano. Imo, if you finished a story, then you got what you needed from it and won. 3nodding

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
PKMN Breeder Aello
Kendra4313

Don't get too caught up in the 50k words part of Nano. Imo, if you finished a story, then you got what you needed from it and won. 3nodding

Hell, editing might severely change the word count in the end. My 70k story turned into a 39k story after I cut the fluff and filler from it.
Blocks are the worst. I knew what I wanted to write the other day, but couldn't actually find a way to set it down on paper.

Trying listening to some different music to get you out of a creative rut (I swapped from Metallica to Florence and the Machine the other day and it seems to be working), and try writing by hand for a page or two. I find that when I come to type up anything handwritten not only do I add extra things as I go, but I also find it easier to carry on typing from there.

Or just do what I did which was procrastinate for two hours and then eventually force my fingers to start typing, which led to 1700 words of total and utter drivel XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff