Welcome to Gaia! ::

.Farfarello
Vega McLeod
.Farfarello
Plot and characters usually. I try to stay away from adding any meaning to my writings because then I get too preachy and preachy is a bad thing. I also try to avoid purple prose so I do not make much of a character outline if I can help it. Besides, if anyone decides to try to analyze my writing, they will probably put in a meaning to if even if I never intended to have one in the first place.

Preachy's not a bad thing. I like to think of writing as a chance to stand up on your soapbox and yell out what you think... but mayhaps that's just me.

I like stories to be stories and essays to be essays. But that is me. whee

Touché mon ami.

9,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Vega McLeod
.Farfarello
Vega McLeod
.Farfarello
Plot and characters usually. I try to stay away from adding any meaning to my writings because then I get too preachy and preachy is a bad thing. I also try to avoid purple prose so I do not make much of a character outline if I can help it. Besides, if anyone decides to try to analyze my writing, they will probably put in a meaning to if even if I never intended to have one in the first place.

Preachy's not a bad thing. I like to think of writing as a chance to stand up on your soapbox and yell out what you think... but mayhaps that's just me.

Touché mon ami.

Though I can read some stories that have great themes to them that aren't preachy at all. It's just upsetting to open a book about someone like Merlin and have about twenty pages of the author's veiwpoints on magic before they even get to the main character, who then rephrases everything that the author said before.
.Farfarello
Vega McLeod
.Farfarello
Vega McLeod
.Farfarello

Touché mon ami.

Though I can read some stories that have great themes to them that aren't preachy at all. It's just upsetting to open a book about someone like Merlin and have about twenty pages of the author's veiwpoints on magic before they even get to the main character, who then rephrases everything that the author said before.

Well yeah lol. One of the John Grisham books I have is like that. He goes on and on about the Vietnam war, which has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the story but it makes for filler I suppose....
I've done all three--characters, plot and meaning--as well as mixing and matching them. Overall, though, I tend to lean more toward plot-centerd tales. And even in character-centric things, it just feels shallow unless it has that external element, where the characters are involved with events beyond themselves...
claymade
I've done all three--characters, plot and meaning--as well as mixing and matching them. Overall, though, I tend to lean more toward plot-centerd tales. And even in character-centric things, it just feels shallow unless it has that external element, where the characters are involved with events beyond themselves...

I'm trying to figure out if my story meets that...
I always start with a character, but the story ends up being some wierd hybrid of all three. I do seem to stay focused on the character for the most part, though.

Wheezing Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
rolleyes my stories are centered around the plot idea.
I usually focus on characters, their interactions, and the interesting positions their personalities get them into. Most of the time, the plot is a way for me to move my characters from one period of character development to another. I'm not sure if this is terribly good, but it serves me...
truthfully, there's no such thing as 'good charachters' if there's not a good plot. Good charachters are based on what they do in a book.
I don't try to focus on anything...at first. I usually start out with an idea for a character, and evolve a story around them, adding characters and a plot as I go along. After getting an original idea. it takes months for the entire thing to unfold in my mind, and even longer to write out. Descriptions are important, and symbolism, and there would be no plot without characters. For me, focusing on one thing is bad because then I tend to forget about everything else sweatdrop

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
a**-Kickery
truthfully, there's no such thing as 'good charachters' if there's not a good plot. Good charachters are based on what they do in a book.

Oh, I think it's just the opposite. You have to develop your characters, and then the plot will revolve largely on how the characters react to what happens to them.
Has anyone seen the movie Alex and Emma? Well I'm alot like Alex the writer. I dont focus on anything in my stories. I just write and my characters lead me into things I probably would have never thought of if I planned the story from the beginning. So I guess that means I focus on characters.
I think I tend to focus on the characters, but not to the point where I'm writing bios and pages and pages about each one.
I tend to focus on characters a lot, but not so much the people themselves. I like lots of character interaction. When it comes to writing pages and pages about something, the plot always gets center spotlight. My plots are terribly complicated. =__=;;;;;
.Farfarello
Vega McLeod
.Farfarello

But many, many stories are also social critiques in some way. Look at Animal Farm, or Crime and Punishment, or even Harry Potter for that matter. Many "pleasure" novels are also heavy with themes and ideas the author wants to convey. Who says you can't have both at once? blaugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff