Welcome to Gaia! ::

lunataire's Husband

Noble Shounen

12,600 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I'm writing a book about a girl who loves to play the violin, but her father forced her to learn to play the clarinet because her mother died going to a violin concert. The girl is named Chelsea, and her dad hates the violin because he thinks it killed her mother.

Anyway, Chelsea goes to a high school for the privileged, where she is part of the band. In this school, there is a band and an orchestra. They absolutely despise each other. It's like social groups, each one hates to talk to the other. The best musicians in each group are considered the 'populars.'

I'm having immense trouble figuring out a reason that the two groups could hate each other though. It's not like I could have a job opportunity or something, the characters are rich.

Please help!
Artists are notoriously fickle. Making them hate each other even just because of their differing pronunciations of tomato is perfectly valid.
If the teachers of each of the groups don't get along, and the students each love their own teacher, the rivalry between the teachers could leak down to the students. You could even have the teachers encourage the competition since the students work harder to be better than the other group.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Agree with the above -- any reason will do. Doesn't have to be a good one. Might make more sense if it's something stupid because they don't have anything more serious to focus on.

If you want it to be a compelling reason, make it personal.

Former friends who had a disagreement, one band is an offshoot of the other built around someone who was kicked out of the group, mutual love interest or former romance between members that went sour, or even siblings/parents who dislike someone in the other group and have encouraged their family to do the same.

Melodious Celebrator

We're talking academic music, artsy types here, right? Orchestra type (the band instruments are orchestral too?). As opposed to any form of popular music from the past several decades (though jazz is an exception). Just checking, because what I'm going to say applies to that, and not to rock, pop, metal, country, or any of those popular music types. I'm gonna label it "academic music" (because "classical music" doesn't quite fit).

I went to an arts magnet school for high school. Students auditioned to get into one of five arts. I was in music. In one of my elective courses, which was sociology and psychology, my teacher shared with us something that a previous student had put together. It was a generalized observation of how each type of student dressed at the school - the visual artists looked like works of art themselves (very colourful), the drama students wore loose clothing (and not a lot of it) as if ready to change wardrobe on a moment's notice, etc. As for the musicians, we were described as "wearing armour, very conservative clothing, a form of protection from the world (as if the instruments themselves are a form of armour)". And I think that was a very accurate description.

It wasn't just about the clothing, but I feel like these observations really described how we interacted with people as well. Academic musicians are generally more reserved, or at least, even if they are a more extroverted/outspoken type of person, there is still something there that they hold back a bit, for protection. They keep a little distance between themselves and others.

Now, as for what would have two groups of musicians up against one another, right off the top of my head some form of rivalry would be appropriate. I mean, they could be competing for the practice room (or stage) time, or to be the "headline act" at concerts that their school puts together (each art at my high school had some form of evening event twice a year, and for music, it was a concert with each class - band, orchestra, choir, string ensemble - and each extracurricular music group too). There could be an outside competition as well (like, we had a city-wide music competition that we competed in each year... and yeah, while we were in different categories - like SATB choir, female choir, trios, duets, etc - we still got feedback from the judges... so even if your two music groups both win their category in a competition like this, they could go based on judge comments, or even scores, if you introduce scores into it, to see which group did better each year).

So in this case, it doesn't matter if they're rich or not - you can have the competition be something where wealth doesn't matter, only talent and performance do. Ah, and as for being rich, rich people think in a different way than middle class and poor people do. They view money and time in a different way, they value it differently, and the energy they put around it is different too. It's actually a lot more positive than you might expect.

And that could work in with the rivalry - time is more valuable than money, it's not something you can get more of (unlike money), and once your time is done, it's gone and you can't get it back... so, if their rivalry involves the time they get to spend in the practice room(s), their attitude toward that precious and valuable time can certainly play a part. If one group reserves the prime time slot for practice and the other has to settle with a more inconvenient time slot, that could certainly create tension. Especially if one group often gets the jump on the other for the best practice times each week (if reservations are made on a weekly basis). Or, if one group has that time assigned to them (for the year), and the other complains about it and tries to work it out with administration to get them in there (and perhaps they do get in there on a trade-off basis, each week alternating or something, this can also cause tension between the groups, especially the group that feels their time was "stolen" from them). Etc.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff