Welcome to Gaia! ::

DanieIle's Husbando

Sparkly Fatcat

19,100 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
I was wondering if it is possible to start a story with a Deus Ex Machina

Like people die and suddenly the "impossible thing" happens and a spirit intervenes and it's basically a Reset button that starts the whole story and stuff.

I'm not worried if its cliche or not, I'm toying with an idea I had.

I was just wondering if I can actually start a story like that, or if that would even be categorized a Deus Ex Machina.

(sorry if I am unclear)

Timid Sweetheart

11,200 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
That sounds interesting actually. I've never read anything like that before. I say go for it, even if it does seem cliche. If it does, then just make it a bit personalized, you know? Something only you could come up with.

DanieIle's Husbando

Sparkly Fatcat

19,100 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
VampyRocker13
That sounds interesting actually. I've never read anything like that before. I say go for it, even if it does seem cliche. If it does, then just make it a bit personalized, you know? Something only you could come up with.
Actually, the whole idea was to use the most cliche possible, then suddenly turn the whole thing around. So I'm pitching all the tropes like the Evil twin, the time travel, the Mary Sues, etc.

Timid Sweetheart

11,200 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
Then go for it. Make it cliche and switch it up. I understood it the other way around >w<
That's not a DEM to me. It's the catalyst for the story. I'm bet part of the story is figuring out why this spirit intervened, correct? This all plays into the conflict. Sort of like how in Yu Yu Hakusho Yusuke dies fairly early in the first episode, but it's the catalyst for the entire series.

DanieIle's Husbando

Sparkly Fatcat

19,100 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
Sir Icehawk
That's not a DEM to me. It's the catalyst for the story. I'm bet part of the story is figuring out why this spirit intervened, correct? This all plays into the conflict. Sort of like how in Yu Yu Hakusho Yusuke dies fairly early in the first episode, but it's the catalyst for the entire series.
No, the spirit actually have nothing much to do in story.
The 'goal' is for the main character to change the past. However the past is different this time around. Like the main character gain a twin that wasn't here in the first timeline.
The spirit is just a 'convenient' plot device.

But yes, that's exactly what I want to know.
If I can change it to fit this troupe, or if tree is a better troupe for this.
Why is this spirit mentioned at all then? That's be confusing for me to be blunt. I'd be asking myself "Why did the spirit do this" and similar questions. Ones you're telling me wouldn't be answered. Seems a bit random and is forcing this into the DEM arena. It may not fix this situation exactly, but it seems this spirit comes out of left field and exits promptly.

If everything is different, why is his goal to change the past? How does he know the past is different? I'm using he just to make this post shorter, but you get hte general idea of the questions I have.

I admit. I'm getting confused here.
You can start a story however the hell you want. Cliche or otherwise. (I'm actually having a problem with mine again. *sighs* Well it's more the build-up than anything else.)

DanieIle's Husbando

Sparkly Fatcat

19,100 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
Sir Icehawk
Why is this spirit mentioned at all then? That's be confusing for me to be blunt. I'd be asking myself "Why did the spirit do this" and similar questions. Ones you're telling me wouldn't be answered. Seems a bit random and is forcing this into the DEM arena. It may not fix this situation exactly, but it seems this spirit comes out of left field and exits promptly.

If everything is different, why is his goal to change the past? How does he know the past is different? I'm using he just to make this post shorter, but you get hte general idea of the questions I have.

I admit. I'm getting confused here.
Okok, I see. Aha. This is a fanfic. Thus people in the fandom would know certain information on the characters' background.

The main characters are the 10th gen of the biggest mafia family.
The spirit is the founder of the family.
The spirit did it to grant the wish (its a running thing in the fandom) However asking "why" the spirit did that is also part of the plot.

Here's the prologue. It is intentionally vague as to not reveal much. What happens really would be revealed only halfway through the story here you go.

"I..."

They looked at her with those eyes, those disappointed, those scared eyes. 

"I..." 

She saw it all: how Gokudera's eyes were wide of horror, how Yamamoto reverted his gaze, how Lambo's face was marked with confusion, how Ryohei's posture lost his vigor, how Mukuro's was clouded with pain and distrust as if he was reminded of unpleasant memories, how Hibari closed his eyes and disappeared in the night. 

"I..."

She reached out a hand toward the nearest person, but Gokudera flinched, just a little. She stopped. 

A hand that she didn't recognize appeared in her vision. She jumped back, eyes wide, looked at the hand. It was red. 

It was her hand. 

"I..."

And she looked at the last person, the one who probably would understand her the most. 

Reborn's gaze was filled with regret.  

"I..."

Her shoulders tensed. And she looked at her hands again. Red. Red. RED. 

RED RED RED RED.

And she laughed. And they watched her laugh. And they heard her voice crack as she laughed. Again and again and again. 

They just stood there, watched, and she laughed. Rejecting her, unwilling to lend their hand. They didn't want to. She didn't deserve it! 

She laughed and they watched until she could not laugh no more. 

Then she ran. 

And they watched her disappear into the darkness of the night. 

At that moment, one whisper, one word rang in the air, but was unheard by the one it was intended to.

"Sorry..."

The night sky was dark. There were no moon in sight. The night sky was grim, and so were the people that bathed in it. 

That night, neither she nor the people standing there watching knew of what would happen afterward. 

Afterall, no one predicts Death. 

The grim reaper came too fast, and all he left on his passage was regret. Too much, too much regret.

Because of regret, a wish was made. 

"Primo! Are you sure you want to grant that wish? That's crazy! Even if you favor the tenth generation the most, this is useless! Because no matter–" 

"Yes."

G looked at his best friend in concern. 

"Yes. I know," Giotto repeated, but did not once look back to meet G's gaze gaze. 

"Even if there is no happy ending."

So the reason why I ask if it is a deus ex machina is that I want to use it as the title of the first chapter.
The main character here is gender bent for the sake of the plot as well.

Liberal Lunatic

11,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
  • Elocutionist 200
...Is that female Tsuna I see? Ah, KHR fanfic, I see. I say go for it.

While I'm not sure if your story is classified as a deus ex machina, you're allowed artistic license and can title it whatever you want. If it fits, it fits. If not, your story has a cool title. It's all good. eue b

DanieIle's Husbando

Sparkly Fatcat

19,100 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
kitkit11183
...Is that female Tsuna I see? Ah, KHR fanfic, I see. I say go for it.

While I'm not sure if your story is classified as a deus ex machina, you're allowed artistic license and can title it whatever you want. If it fits, it fits. If not, your story has a cool title. It's all good. eue b
AHAHAHA YES.

Well, fem for plot's sake. I hate seeing Fem Tsunas but in this case, it's necessary. OwO
See the fact this is fanfiction is kind of important. Something you might want to edit into the first post and state the what the source material is.

Knowing that this sort of thing is established in the cannon, it's obviously not a DEM. You're fine, so get on writing. smile

DanieIle's Husbando

Sparkly Fatcat

19,100 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
Sir Icehawk
See the fact this is fanfiction is kind of important. Something you might want to edit into the first post and state the what the source material is.

Knowing that this sort of thing is established in the cannon, it's obviously not a DEM. You're fine, so get on writing. smile
Woa, I didn't think it being a fanfic would be so different. Lol, then again, it does make sense. >o>

It's not exactly what is established in canon. But it's that based on canon and fanon, it's really easy to guess as to why and how (or at least, they have a vague idea)

Eh, not a DEM.

I was planing on naming all my chapters after a Trope. OTL
Then what can I call it?

Dangerous Lunatic

5,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Dressed Up 200
That sounds like a cliche ending, not beginning
Why not?

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Quick Reply