Welcome to Gaia! ::

I can't decide if this is a Mary Sue or not.. Any comments, suggestions, constructive criticism would be nice. And very much appreciated. The character is modeled after my avatar, sad, but it must be done!

I listed them in an organized way just to get my head straight, a rough draft before I incorporate her into a story/artwork. (downwards) I need specific help on her last name, and the wording for her appearance. I would like to add more too it, but I'm in a writers block gonk

Name: Marcel -last name unspecified-
Appearance : Marcel's ashened hair, if you could call it that, fell down above her lips with a slight jut outwards. It twisted and tangled into massive tangles that would hide most of her jet blue eyes. Her hair stayed un-frizzled for the most part, which was useful because most of the time she would stick pencil or pieces of charcoal between her ear.
She wore a grey pinstripe vest with a strapless bra under it, and some black, baggy, crafty pants hung below her waist reveal white and blue poke a doted boxers. Her pants were pretty scratched up, with a fake lumpy tail in the back that went to her knees. Handmade by hers truly. Although that wasn't something she liked to brag about. She also wore old beat up black converse.
Personality: Her adolescent appearance fooled many to think she was some punk, out to do no good kind of kid. Even though she would often dress the "part" many had subjected her too, she was a pretty well of youngster.
Marcel, she was an artist. She acted, wrote stories, was starting up another time dwelling activity, singing. She wants to learn how to draw, but can not get the hang of it. Her eyes see the picture, but her hands draw another thing. It frustrates her, and usually ruins her day. Skills in poetry have never been all that great, and because of her struggle to perform all these activities she can loose management of her life. Marcel has never attempted to play any musical instruments, claiming that all the chords and everything would confuse her to a point of no return. Studies are going ok, not as much as her father would like, but she's making good grades on tests, and LIT projects. She's eager to learn, and co-operate though. But, at times can be stubborn, and not budge for the life of her.
Eextra: She weighs 110 lbs, and stands at a 5?6
Background History: Her parents are separated, leaving a gap in Marcel's life. While she does not see what is such a big deal about it, other people will often blame her faults on how she is not raised in a "proper" house hold. Around Holidays though it does seem a little strange, hearing her friends say how they're going to some place with their parents, two parents. All Marcel has to look forward too is the Christmas in her mom's independent run cafe, or in the radio station where her father works.
5'6" and 103 lbs is pretty freaking skinny... and I definitely don't get the whole thing about mall rats.

The fact that she's good at ALL kinds of art is pretty Mary-Sueish. And she doesn't seem to have any negative characteristics at all. She sounds cool and cute and funny and interesting all at once, which in character development isn't always good.
Talamai
5'6" and 103 lbs is pretty freaking skinny... and I definitely don't get the whole thing about mall rats.

The fact that she's good at ALL kinds of art is pretty Mary-Sueish. And she doesn't seem to have any negative characteristics at all. She sounds cool and cute and funny and interesting all at once, which in character development isn't always good.

So add bad qualities.. Ok, like she can't...Ermm.. I don't know gonk
Oh, she chokes whenever she has to go in front of people?

Mall rats, you know, "Goths" who hangout side the mall, play DDR, walk around?

5'6 103, maybe 108? I don't know, she's supposed to be really light.

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
She's standing on the knife edge. Cut out some of the arts; make her horrible at at least one. Don't gratuitously describe her "ashen hair" and "jet blue" eyes. I always thought it was "jet black"? And the thing about her hair falling down above her lip...it just sounds funny.
One cannot tell a Mary-Sue simply from a little character description like that. Actions and context define a Mary-Sue as well.
PinkWord
I can't decide if this is a Mary Sue or not.. Any comments, suggestions, constructive criticism would be nice. And very much appreciated. The character is modeled after my avatar, sad, but it must be done!

I listed them in an organized way just to get my head straight, a rough draft before I incorporate her into a story/artwork. (downwards) I need specific help on her last name, and the wording for her appearance. I would like to add more too it, but I'm in a writers block gonk

Appearance : Marcel's ashened hair, if you could call it that, fell down above her lip. It twisted and tangled into a massive tangle that would hide most of her jet blue eyes. Her hair stayed un-frizzled for the most part, which was useful because most of the time she would stick pencil or pieces of charcoal between her ear.
She wore a grey pinstripe vest with a sports bra under it, and some black, baggy, crafty pants hung below her waist reveal white and blue poke a doted boxers. Her pants were pretty scratched up, with a fake lumpy tail in the back that went to her knees. She also wore old beat up black converse.
Personality: Her adolescent appearance fooled many to think she was some mall rat. Even though she loved to go to the mall she had yet gone up to a mall rat to ask for anything. Yet she dreamed she would one day. Marcel, she was an artist. She acted, sung, wrote stories, and was starting to get the hang of drawing. She's eager to learn, and co-operate, but at times can be stubborn, and not budge for the life of her.
Extra: She weighs 103 lbs, and stands at a 5"6

Wow, for some reason that sounds a lot like me. O_o Well, except for the being-great-at-practiacally-all-forms-of-art thing... I can write and doodle, that's about all. (And 103-108 lbs isn't that light- I'm about 110 lbs, and not quite a twig. wink ) ANYWAY, I think that sounds pretty good so far. As mentioned before, replacing a few of her uber-skills with faults would be good; maybe all of her art and writing and what-not takes up most of her spare time, and she therefore does really crappy in school? Maybe she's an okay writer but a horrible poet? That kind of thing. Good luck! 3nodding
Raincrow
She's standing on the knife edge. Cut out some of the arts; make her horrible at at least one. Don't gratuitously describe her "ashen hair" and "jet blue" eyes. I always thought it was "jet black"? And the thing about her hair falling down above her lip...it just sounds funny.

redface Typo with the lips

Yeah, she should be not so good at..hmm..

How about she can't get the hang out things in drawing, like no matter how hard she tries she just cant get it right... surprised Like me!

Mary sue, but, very well disguised. Also, ash, the colour.. It's a really light black, almost grey. Shiney. I don't like the term jet black, that sounds to...angsty some how.

Icy blue eyes?
Mary-Sue Litmus TestLook at all of it, and don't cheat. Remember, you WANT to know if she's a Mary-Sue, and if she is, trash her and start over. Also, don't lie to yourslef, or talk yourself out of adding points by explaining why, or loopholes. In this test, she does(is) or doesn't(isn't). Yeah....I've had to use this sooooo much!
Awai Megami
Mary-Sue Litmus TestLook at all of it, and don't cheat. Remember, you WANT to know if she's a Mary-Sue, and if she is, trash her and start over. Also, don't lie to yourslef, or talk yourself out of adding points by explaining why, or loopholes. In this test, she does(is) or doesn't(isn't). Yeah....I've had to use this sooooo much!

Aswome, well, I'll revise what I've thought out, and then take the test biggrin
PinkWord
Awai Megami

Yep! It's really helpful, actually. I've thrown away, or edited characters because of this test. And they needed it.
Yeah that's pretty mary sue, who gives a crap what she's wearing?
Awai Megami
PinkWord
Awai Megami

Yep! It's really helpful, actually. I've thrown away, or edited characters because of this test. And they needed it.

Though I wouldn't take the test as gospel truth, since real life people have taken litmus tests as themselves and been borderline or Mary Sue. xd
Tristitia
Awai Megami
PinkWord
Awai Megami

Though I wouldn't take the test as gospel truth, since real life people have taken litmus tests as themselves and been borderline or Mary Sue. xd
True, probably because some questions ask about you and yourself....O.o.......and yet, funny!
Jibby-bi
Yeah that's pretty mary sue, who gives a crap what she's wearing?

It's usually pretty important when drawing the character rolleyes

I got a 34, but one of the questions added 4 or 3 points because I draw her, but that was one of the whole points to her. Subtract or not?
Efiel
PinkWord

Appearance : Marcel's ashened hair, if you could call it that, fell down above her lip. It twisted and tangled into a massive tangle that would hide most of her jet blue eyes. Her hair stayed un-frizzled for the most part, which was useful because most of the time she would stick pencil or pieces of charcoal between her ear.
She wore a grey pinstripe vest with a sports bra under it, and some black, baggy, crafty pants hung below her waist reveal white and blue poke a doted boxers. Her pants were pretty scratched up, with a fake lumpy tail in the back that went to her knees. She also wore old beat up black converse.
Personality: Her adolescent appearance fooled many to think she was some mall rat. Even though she loved to go to the mall she had yet gone up to a mall rat to ask for anything. Yet she dreamed she would one day. Marcel, she was an artist. She acted, sung, wrote stories, and was starting to get the hang of drawing. She's eager to learn, and co-operate, but at times can be stubborn, and not budge for the life of her.
Extra: She weighs 103 lbs, and stands at a 5"6

Wow, for some reason that sounds a lot like me. O_o Well, except for the being-great-at-practiacally-all-forms-of-art thing... I can write and doodle, that's about all. (And 103-108 lbs isn't that light- I'm about 110 lbs, and not quite a twig. wink ) ANYWAY, I think that sounds pretty good so far. As mentioned before, replacing a few of her uber-skills with faults would be good; maybe all of her art and writing and what-not takes up most of her spare time, and she therefore does really crappy in school? Maybe she's an okay writer but a horrible poet? That kind of thing. Good luck! 3nodding

Was thinking of that while taking the test...Hmm...Maybe she should be an ok singer, like as a hobby, a horrible poet, cause she never really was one anyway, and something else... It can't take up ALL her school time, but like she has spurts where she ignores people, forgets assigments..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff