Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Too many story ideas and plots, and WAY too much love for each of them to decide which one to really devote ample time to?

Over the past...gads, three or four years...I've built up a moderately overwhelming store of story ideas, plot bunnies, scene scribblings, and characters, and I like each and every one so much it's difficult to choose. I've found that working on multiple stories at once just creates monotony and makes them all seem boring to me, not to mention their plots go down the tubes.

And the bunnies never stop! More plot ideas, more plot ideas. Some of them legitimately enjoyable, some of them festering bile. I have yet to finish a single one (aside from my 2010 NaNo, but that's still in rough draft form. )

Does anybody else have this problem? And does anybody have any tips on it?
I have the exact same problem you described although I don't think for quite as long. I wish I had a better answer, but all I can say is what worked for me. You just have to make more time for writing if possible, if not try to chose the ones that have the greatest chance of success. I know its just so hard to chose just one. If you can't chose then set a kind of schedule. You work on this idea at this time on this day or something like that. I understand that all writers work diffently and this may not work for you, but that's the way I write and try to keep myself sane at the same time smile I hope it helped.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
pyroroxie
I have the exact same problem you described although I don't think for quite as long. I wish I had a better answer, but all I can say is what worked for me. You just have to make more time for writing if possible, if not try to chose the ones that have the greatest chance of success. I know its just so hard to chose just one. If you can't chose then set a kind of schedule. You work on this idea at this time on this day or something like that. I understand that all writers work diffently and this may not work for you, but that's the way I write and try to keep myself sane at the same time smile I hope it helped.

It's a little complicated for me because of my schedule, but thank you for the tip smile
any time, and thank you as well

Romantic Hunter

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Oh dear do I ever. I have over 100 ideas with characters and plots and crud. And I still have problems with focusing on a story, but it's ok. When I am stuck on one I do another, and if I get stuck on that I can go back to the first often getting a better perspective. If not I go onto story C and so on and so forth.

The reason why I love NaNoWriMo so much is because it makes you focus on one and get stuff done, but for the rest of the year I get to be my ADD self and story hop. I am almost finished with a story because of this process and am halfway through the others so I think this is a great way to write...

until you actually get published and the publishers expect crud on time

then focus focus focus.

Toothsome Phantom

That's how it's always been for me. Try to decide on one that you think could really go somewhere and go with it. If you get an idea for a new character with a new story try to add it into the one you're working on, If it fits. If not, try to save it for a rainy day. Write down as much info on them as possible and you'll find their purpose soon.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
DayhawK68
Oh dear do I ever. I have over 100 ideas with characters and plots and crud. And I still have problems with focusing on a story, but it's ok. When I am stuck on one I do another, and if I get stuck on that I can go back to the first often getting a better perspective. If not I go onto story C and so on and so forth.

The reason why I love NaNoWriMo so much is because it makes you focus on one and get stuff done, but for the rest of the year I get to be my ADD self and story hop. I am almost finished with a story because of this process and am halfway through the others so I think this is a great way to write...

then focus focus focus.

Oh yes. It was a great experience, I hope to do it again this year. I've been trying to just slowly build up each story, because you know, eventually I'll make full circle. xD

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
burgawinosourus
That's how it's always been for me. Try to decide on one that you think could really go somewhere and go with it. If you get an idea for a new character with a new story try to add it into the one you're working on, If it fits. If not, try to save it for a rainy day. Write down as much info on them as possible and you'll find their purpose soon.

I have so many random add-in characters. But it's so much fun. Thank you for the tip. xD

Toothsome Phantom

American_Flyleaf_Girl
burgawinosourus

I have so many random add-in characters. But it's so much fun. Thank you for the tip. xD
You're welcome~! It's just ended up being the only thing that seems to work for me. biggrin

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
burgawinosourus
American_Flyleaf_Girl
burgawinosourus

You're welcome~! It's just ended up being the only thing that seems to work for me. biggrin

Well it's good that you at least found SOMETHING that works. :3

Romantic Hunter

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
American_Flyleaf_Girl
DayhawK68

then focus focus focus.

Oh yes. It was a great experience, I hope to do it again this year. I've been trying to just slowly build up each story, because you know, eventually I'll make full circle. xD

Indeed! but hey since there isn't anything pressing you to go faster, slow and steady isn't a bad thing. wink

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
DayhawK68
American_Flyleaf_Girl
DayhawK68

then focus focus focus.

Indeed! but hey since there isn't anything pressing you to go faster, slow and steady isn't a bad thing. wink

Definitely nice. Especially with schoolwork. x|
[which I am currently shirking. xD ]

Romantic Hunter

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
American_Flyleaf_Girl
DayhawK68
American_Flyleaf_Girl
DayhawK68

then focus focus focus.

Hee hee shirk away!

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
DayhawK68
American_Flyleaf_Girl
DayhawK68
American_Flyleaf_Girl
DayhawK68

then focus focus focus.

Hee hee shirk away!

xD oh how I enjoy doing so.

Toothsome Phantom

American_Flyleaf_Girl
burgawinosourus
American_Flyleaf_Girl
burgawinosourus

Well it's good that you at least found SOMETHING that works. :3
Indeed. I hope you can find your helpful little niche as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff