Welcome to Gaia! ::

What are your thoughts on first person perspective? I personally like it, but find that people don't much like to read it. It can get clumsy, but I find it easier to convey a feeling of intimacy if it's done right. What do you all think?
I love First Person. Vastly superior to Third, in my opinion, when done right. Third Person just feels too detached most of the time.
I like it.

I started reading some stories in first person, then went to reading books through other perspectives and they seemed kind of forced. Sing-songy almost.

I like to write stories for teenagers, so I find that first person is essential for the kind of smart-alic writing I want to do. It's easier to get into someone's head that way. And teenagers are like that. And I think it's good for character development.
I use first person in nearly all my stories. I tend to like first person omnicient; switching from point of veiws from chapter to chapter. But hey, that's just me.

Rude's Bestie

Cat

I find there's not really <i>that</i> much difference between first person and third person limited POVs. The only major difference (other than the pronouns) is the narrative voice, since in first it's the narrating character's voice, but in third limited there's a separate anonymous narrator. Other than that, you're still limited to one character's POV and you have pretty free run of their thoughts. You can get a little deeper into the first person character's mind, there's more immersion with the whole narrative being in their voice, but IMO there's not really enough difference between them to say that in general one is superior to the other.
I prefer third person to first person because emotions can be identified much more easily because the author is telling the reader what the people feel. If it is in first person, only the person telling the story knows his/her/it's emotions, and can only guess another person's emotions unless the emotions are obvious. Also, much more history and plot can flow from third person because the author may tell the reader information that the main characters don't know, and that is more interesting to me.
When I first began writing, I recieved some advice from a friend of mine. He told me that first person is best used when the author is trying to convey an irony - or to preserve a plot twist. I did not agree with him at the time; however, after several years of experience, I think I understand what he meant - and I've actually come to agree with him (for the most part).

But aside from that, I feel first person is all too often more clumsy than third. There are some examples of true mastery of first person - e.g. Jane Eyre, A Clockwork Orange, The Great Gatsby, etc. - but the truth is that sometimes the descriptions become overwhelming, especially since the author is trying to describe what the character sees, and not what the reader would see were he or she there. At least, that's what I've noticed. sweatdrop

As for emotional connections, first person is obviously easier to deal with and makes for a better, stronger connection to the main character. Perhaps this is why I am more able to enjoy first person when it's utilized in a short story...
Using first person makes the reader find it easier to relate... I love it in comparison to third if used correctly. However, for people who can't use it right, they should write in third...
i like first person, and write in it. but i'm actually really really really bad at writing stories... so i should be using third. i find that first person is easier to identify with, but for the piece i'm writing, people who have read what i've done so far are finding it hard to understand, because i'm writing from four different points of view *puff puff*
Well, in my opinion 1st is pretty interesting - if you can do it well! the hard thing is that it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay harder to describe the emotions of the other characters! whee
BubblegumPunk
What are your thoughts on first person perspective? I personally like it, but find that people don't much like to read it. It can get clumsy, but I find it easier to convey a feeling of intimacy if it's done right. What do you all think?

1st, 2nd, 3rd? Really, what ever get's the story told I say.
Yeah 1st is more 'getting-to-know the mind of the char. and also to think and walk with them, but if heir thoughts are inside out and upside down it can become tiresome to read.
I like it actually. It's quite interesting to write in, and if it's done well, good to read. It's much easier to convey a point of view through first person perspective, but you can end up neglecting your other characters if you aren't careful.

Toothsome Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
BubblegumPunk

I like writing in third person, personally. I find I have to use a bit more of a casual 'voice' when I'm doing so, though, because I often write it in first person present, so the 'author' isn't writing something that previously happened to him -- you're basically seeing things as they happen in his/her head. Plus, there's many things to take into account: the person's upbringing, the way they speak, etcetera.
I find I tend to use 1st person when I'm writing a story that concentrates on one character, and using third when the story effects the world (or the land or the city or whatever). First person allows a greater concentration on an interpretation of events rather than a retelling (which is often what third ends up sounding like).

Toothsome Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
TeufelChen
I use first person in nearly all my stories. I tend to like first person omnicient; switching from point of veiws from chapter to chapter. But hey, that's just me.

No offense, but... I hate stories written in first person omniscient. crying They're rarely ever well-written enough for me to keep track of the switches. They confuse me greatly.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff