Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

What do you think?
Should I color him or no?
Well first of all let me tell you what about it bothers me besides the line of his lip. His lower jaw is much darker than his upper so it makes it look like it is pushed back signifigantly behind the upper. stare *is waiting for the rest of the pic to load*

Well his shoulders is a bit more defined from the body than it probly should be or you just need to work on the perspective to make the transition a bit more gradual because the back is too small for the front side but all in all it is a great drawing.
I have to agree here.
Unless its front legs are standing higher up than its hind legs, the bottom needs to be lifted up. You can really see this because its neck line is straight with its back, which is shouldn't be. It's lifting its neck up high, and it should angle upwards from the back, rather than give a straight line.

What I see with the way you've shaded the jaw, it looks like he's curling it like a slack jawed yockel (no offence on either side with that comparison, best description I could think of). You see? It seems to curl away from the viewer. You'd want to think of it as a rectangle, and work with it within those boundries. Pulling point perspective from the left of the picture to give the angle of his jaw and shade accordingly.

Irrelevent of those two facts, it's a very nice looking wolf. And I really don't think you should colour, if you were going to colour I'd say not to draw the fur with your pencil but rather use the colours and shading to define the fur. Since you've pencilled the fur I think it would look ten times better the way it is.
Godon
...the line of his lip. His lower jaw is much darker than his upper so it makes it look like it is pushed back signifigantly behind the upper.

Yeah... the bottom lip needs a bit of work. That's a definite there.

But the wolf (whom is pregnant) that I used as a reference had a black bottom lip. I tried to stay as true to the coloring as possible it just made it look odd.

Quote:
his shoulders is a bit more defined from the body than it probly should be or you just need to work on the perspective to make the transition a bit more gradual because the back is too small for the front side

The wolf is standing on the top of a small hill, so her back legs are not shown because they are on the other side of the ridge.

Thanks for the comments though. ^^
hah! I was reading the comments and was thinking 'what the hell?' 'cause when I saw the pic I did think she was standing on a hill or it was from an angle and because that part of the wolf was farther away it was smaller.

Either way it's really good!
After_Dark
hah! I was reading the comments and was thinking 'what the hell?' 'cause when I saw the pic I did think she was standing on a hill or it was from an angle and because that part of the wolf was farther away it was smaller.

Either way it's really good!

I understood she was going for a perspective I am just saying she did not do it correctly. She mad it too small too fast like the shoulders are 2 feet closer than just after the shoulders
just by reading the posts i feel like an outsider... it would take me at least 7 atempts to try to even get a wolf that real looking.

BTW- i knew she was staning on a hill or rock or something...

Please dont color it in. it's been my experience that when you put so much detail in pencil and try to color it in later, it looks... odd. i like most drawings in black and white anyways
If you examine a wolf, standing in this position his legs seem a little short towards the grass, his snout should b longer in this case, as for his ear a little sharper and another ear should b in the prospect
Well, wether some people can see the wolf is standing on a hill or not, if a bunch of others can't then I wouldn't say it was shown very well. I look at the line of the feet and they seem to end at the same level, and the little tuft of grass infront of them does nothing to alude to the fact that it's a hilly bit that her front legs are standing on.
Infact, it does everything to try and show that it's flat ground. I don't particularly know how long a wolfs legs are but with the perspective that's being pulled, those hind legs look level pegging with the front legs on the ground and that indicates flat soil.
I, however. ain't the guy to be able to say how to fix this as I don't know. I just know what I'm seeing.

Now what Godon was saying about the shading on the lower lip, is the fact that the way it is done make it seem like the lower lip is moving to the right of the wolf and not in line with the upper lip.
Nothing to do wether the wolf has a black lower lip or such, but the way the lip has been drawn isn't helped by the shading.
Look at the top part of the lower lip, it curls in the middle. This is where it's meant to be flat. But, because the flat bit as at a 30degree angle or so on the left side of the image, it makes the lower lip look like it's been twisted. Don't think I'm dissing the image, I'm just saying that the way it's been drawn simply just isn't done right. If you could go back and fix up that lower lip, it would do a LOT for the image as a whole.
Gokuuk
Well, wether some people can see the wolf is standing on a hill or not, if a bunch of others can't then I wouldn't say it was shown very well. I look at the line of the feet and they seem to end at the same level, and the little tuft of grass infront of them does nothing to alude to the fact that it's a hilly bit that her front legs are standing on.
Infact, it does everything to try and show that it's flat ground. I don't particularly know how long a wolfs legs are but with the perspective that's being pulled, those hind legs look level pegging with the front legs on the ground and that indicates flat soil.
I, however. ain't the guy to be able to say how to fix this as I don't know. I just know what I'm seeing.

Now what Godon was saying about the shading on the lower lip, is the fact that the way it is done make it seem like the lower lip is moving to the right of the wolf and not in line with the upper lip.
Nothing to do wether the wolf has a black lower lip or such, but the way the lip has been drawn isn't helped by the shading.
Look at the top part of the lower lip, it curls in the middle. This is where it's meant to be flat. But, because the flat bit as at a 30degree angle or so on the left side of the image, it makes the lower lip look like it's been twisted. Don't think I'm dissing the image, I'm just saying that the way it's been drawn simply just isn't done right. If you could go back and fix up that lower lip, it would do a LOT for the image as a whole.

I'm just wondering if I can still find the reference picture to show you guys... If I can find it then I'll post it. *sighs* But I highly doubt it, I had to reformat my computer a little while ago *stupid Windows* so I lost quite a few of my photos.

Anyway, what I want to say is that her legs are proportionate to the picture. That I made sure of, whether you guys think that it looks wrong or not.. *shrugs* All I care about is staying as true to the original wolf as possible and that means proportions too. *that's not meant to big nasty you guys... just stating a fact. Sorry if it turned out that way*

The lower lip really is a bit messed up. That I've gotta fix sooner or later whenever I get around to it. I knew that was out of place when I posted, but I still felt like posting it anyway.

Thanks for the criticism. It's really appreciated but you guys can be nicer about it. That's something that I've noticed all over Gaia... when people give criticism, they tend to be really nasty about.

Quote:
I understood she was going for a perspective I am just saying she did not do it correctly.

That for instance is a an ouch. Just the way that it's said. I mean... yes it might be done incorrectly but that doesn't mean that you have to tell the person out right that it's wrong. If they'd said something like, you could try 'this or that' to get a better affect then it's not so bad.

I don't know, I'm not picking on you guys imparticularly. It's just something that dawned on me right now. Just something that I've seen in a lot of forums and it's getting really bad.
its really good i drew a pretty realistic picture of a red wolf but i odnt know how to post it on gaia someone help me!!!!!!!!!!

gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk
Wow, that's the first time I've ever been told that I was mean. Maybe I should use more smilies in my posts. ^^ I didn't attack any of your skills so I didn't see the need to though.

I will still say that the fact the wolf is standing on a hill isn't represented well enough. To create this illusion you could perhaps bend the bottom of the grass like a hilly bit, to make people be aware of this.
I've personally not had to deal with an image like this so it's only from my judgement that this would help. =)
Gokuuk
Wow, that's the first time I've ever been told that I was mean. Maybe I should use more smilies in my posts. ^^ I didn't attack any of your skills so I didn't see the need to though.

I will still say that the fact the wolf is standing on a hill isn't represented well enough. To create this illusion you could perhaps bend the bottom of the grass like a hilly bit, to make people be aware of this.
I've personally not had to deal with an image like this so it's only from my judgement that this would help. =)

It probably is out of proportion. *ponders* I might try looking at the image in the mirror, that way I'm not seeing it how I normally do and you can usually pick out mistakes better that way. *blinks*
Yes, I do think that was the first time I had been called mean myself too. I was messaged twice this week for being so goddamn nice too. stare

I only said it that bluntly because it was not caught when I said it otheriwse. If you cannot take a mite of bluntness at times then don't ask for a critique, *shrugs*
Godon
Yes, I do think that was the first time I had been called mean myself too. I was messaged twice this week for being so goddamn nice too. stare

I only said it that bluntly because it was not caught when I said it otheriwse. If you cannot take a mite of bluntness at times then don't ask for a critique, *shrugs*

What?
No no... I knew what you said from the begining. It's not that I can't take bluntness Hun, that didn't bother me in the slightest. And I wasn't trying to pick on you imparticular. It was the only off hand example that I had to make my point.
I was just stating that in general, gaians (even those that don't know what they are talking about *that doesn't mean no one knows that they're talking about, don't get me wrong*) can be really vicious to people on here for the smallest things. It was something that had occured to me at that time and I felt like posting it. *shrugs*

For example, my little sister posted a poem that she wrote in school here a few weeks ago. She's only 12 and was proud of her poem. Within ten minutes she'd been called, "pathetic for even posting this crap online", "Not worthy of the written word", "if she ever wanted to published her stuff then she's gonna have to start copying other people because her poem sucked", and it goes on and on. I mean, she was nearly in tears when she read that.
And there shouldn't have been any misunderstanding, she had written underneath the poem that she was 12, just posting for the sake of posting, that she didn't really want any serious critique but only wanted to share her poem which she was proud of...
People slaughtered her. And some of them were younger then she was, others were my age.

Now Godon, I'm sorry if you took the fact that I used you as an example to heart. I just needed something that related to the thread to use. And well.. that was the closest thing I had to 'meanest'. Hope you forgive me. ^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff