Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Lunatic

Hello.

I've been working on these drawings and have been asking all my art friends for their advice, suggestions and if they could even help by redlining.

But I only have a handful of art friends and I've probably exhausted them with the questions.

I don't want these drawings to be good. I want them to be great.

So I've come here in the hopes that I can gather many, many artists opinions.

Tell me anything and everything. Just don't tell me "It's looking good!" "Wow!" "It's great/good" Or anything similar. Harsh, deep critiques are badly needed and wanted and loved.

Thank you smile

User Image

User Image

In the second picture, her hair is defying gravity because of magical means.

Dapper Fatcat

Crescent Stardust
Hello.

I've been working on this drawing and have been asking all my art friends for their advice, suggestions and if they could even help by redlining.

But I only have a handful of art friends and I've probably exhausted them with the questions.

I don't want this drawing to be good. I want it to be great.

Tell me anything and everything. Just don't tell me "It's looking good!" "Wow!" "It's great/good" Or anything similar. Harsh, deep critiques are badly needed and wanted and loved.

Thank you smile

User Image

Hmm. It's a good work in progress, but my main focuses are the lines being too choppy and thick. Plus, the hands need to be worked really well on, but so far your anatomy as a good posture.. .. If that even makes sense, god, at this hour. Anyways. Hmm.Facial expressions, you can try giving her a different expression that follows under the same category.... Meaning, show the smile lines, or something. Bah, bad at criticism in this early morning and lack of sleep. When and if you color it, remember to color her skin somewhat the same color of energy, on the side of her left body, facing from her angle. Otherwise, shade as if you were seeing it right in front of you.

Perhaps taking some clothes classes on beads on making them shaped more consistently?

P.S. I am not the best either. XD I suck at clothes when it comes to beads and pearls. So many small circles. ;-;

So, I hoped that helped.

Lonely Lunatic

Lamia Mantra

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting a reply so fast, haha. Thank you smile

The chain mail was something I added in at the last minute. I will definitely fix them up and make all the little circles look more... together and of similar shape and size. At this point I am just unsure if I want, like, fish scale chain mail or the linked circles chain mail so I'm still toying around with it.

How is the armour? Specifically I am not liking the farther bit of her thigh, the left side. How does it look for you?

Yes. Oh I've been sort of avoiding the hands, ha. Hands... I should work on them, though. Yes, I agree.

How about her hair? I want it to be flowy. You know, realistic looking. smile

I'm not sure what you mean by:

Quote:
... you can try giving her a different expression that follows under the same category.

Do you think you could explain that in more detail?

Thank you muchly smile

I realize the lines are a little on the thick side. I tend to do that with sketches, something I should work on :3

Dapper Fatcat

Crescent Stardust
Lamia Mantra

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting a reply so fast, haha. Thank you smile

The chain mail was something I added in at the last minute. I will definitely fix them up and make all the little circles look more... together and of similar shape and size. At this point I am just unsure if I want, like, fish scale chain mail or the linked circles chain mail so I'm still toying around with it.

How is the armour? Specifically I am not liking the farther bit of her thigh, the left side. How does it look for you?

Yes. Oh I've been sort of avoiding the hands, ha. Hands... I should work on them, though. Yes, I agree.

How about her hair? I want it to be flowy. You know, realistic looking. smile

I'm not sure what you mean by:

Quote:
... you can try giving her a different expression that follows under the same category.

Do you think you could explain that in more detail?

Thank you muchly smile

I realize the lines are a little on the thick side. I tend to do that with sketches, something I should work on :3

It depends on the kind of knight or rogue or whatever she is. If she's a mage, even, chain mail, though it's harder. Fin/Fish scales usually are heavy but durable in my opinion. Used more for knights/paladins.

Her hair does need work on, but it has a nice shape so far. :3

"Different expressions that follows under the same category." I'm insane right now, with the lack of sleep. But what I mean, if you want it realistic, no one woman, unless of a very young age or fathoming youthful structure, will not have some sort of realistic detail to their face. So pay attention to the muscle forms and such like, how she smiles, if she has smile lines {I know I do. -_-} And, if she's furrowing her brow, some hints there. I'm just giving examples.

Hmmm.I think that covers those questions. XD

Lonely Lunatic

Lamia Mantra

She's like a combination of a mage and paladin. So what kind of chain mail would you suggest? I am open for anything.

Do you think you could go into detail about her hair? What parts do you feel need worked on? Is there something glaringly obvious that I'm missing at this point in time? Or something that I might miss in the near future?

Right, less cartoon, more realistic. Got it smile

How is the scale-like armour on her thighs?

Dapper Fatcat

Crescent Stardust
Lamia Mantra

She's like a combination of a mage and paladin. So what kind of chain mail would you suggest? I am open for anything.

Do you think you could go into detail about her hair? What parts do you feel need worked on? Is there something glaringly obvious that I'm missing at this point in time? Or something that I might miss in the near future?

Right, less cartoon, more realistic. Got it smile

How is the scale-like armour on her thighs?

They could use sharper. or crisp details like, where light would hit it, and where the shine end into darkness.

The hair, you have to make sure that you accentuate how it is braided. Not like: messy everywhere. But, you want flow, right? Put that flow in there. It's detail for the hair. Just like how your hair. See how you have like zillions of hair follicles together? It should look like that too. But everyone's style is different when it comes to realism. :3

Lonely Lunatic

Lamia Mantra

Definitely some things to keep in mind, thanks for all your help!

On another, random note, you wouldn't happen to have a nice couple of references for creepy/evil grins hanging about would you? I've been looking everywhere for a nice reference for my crazy lady (A different drawing but it is the same person) and I haven't been able to find anything decent.

Dapper Fatcat

Crescent Stardust
Lamia Mantra

Definitely some things to keep in mind, thanks for all your help!

On another, random note, you wouldn't happen to have a nice couple of references for creepy/evil grins hanging about would you? I've been looking everywhere for a nice reference for my crazy lady (A different drawing but it is the same person) and I haven't been able to find anything decent.

Well. to be honest, I have a picture in my sketch thread if you need for a reference. It's of my Mad Hatter Man.

Timid Phantom

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Millionaire 200
Look there. My first suggestion is: use smaller brush size when sketching. (and maybe color that differs from black) It can help your inking in the future and even the sketch looks cleaner.

This ain't bad start because you already got working pose there.
Think in 3D.
When drawing the head keep in mind the angle you're shooting it from. In this case I assume the girl is facing his face directly at the fire ball. That in mind practicing 3/4 angle from the face should be useful to you.
When rendering hair you need to keep track with 2 things: Gravity and wind. This is same with clothes. There's really no practical advice I can give with that subject...
When drawing armor think that it has depth too, when in too close of the body it looks more like clothing.

PS. don't be afraid of drawing legs! Even if it's hard at first, the piece will looks much more complete when having full body in it.

Visual help and suggestions

( btw sorry for my english, I know it's bad)

Lonely Lunatic

Papurys

Thank you so much! Do you think you could stick around for a bit so I can ask you further questions about my drawing? Not right now but may I quote you later on?

Timid Phantom

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Millionaire 200
Crescent Stardust
Papurys

Thank you so much! Do you think you could stick around for a bit so I can ask you further questions about my drawing? Not right now but may I quote you later on?

sure, why not.

Lonely Lunatic

Papurys

Thanks! I've been working on another drawing (when I do stuff I tend to alternate to give my head a break, haha) and was wondering if you could give me some help with the hair. I've been looking for references but I can't find any. Would you be able to give me some advice? :3

User Image
Try building the body with 3D shapes.

User Image
User Image
User Image

That way, you'll be able to make it move in space and it will be more consistent. Also, watch your proportions. They're all over the place.

Timid Phantom

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Millionaire 200
Crescent Stardust
Papurys

Thanks! I've been working on another drawing (when I do stuff I tend to alternate to give my head a break, haha) and was wondering if you could give me some help with the hair. I've been looking for references but I can't find any. Would you be able to give me some advice? :3

The hair would work if it was Disney's little mermaid. But I doubt that. If there was only wind and gravity involved, hair would not act like that. In case there is some magic involved which makes some hair go acting very crazy, then it's different case.
And the other thing.. Keep in mind that hair is made out of thousands and thousands of like small strings (of course you're not suppose to draw them one by one), so they shouldn't look like they were piece of clothing even they act similar.
I'm no master at fluffy hair either so here is how I would do it.
User Image
In meantime, I second what Errol already said. Drawing 3D objects and shapes is most useful thing you ever learn when rendering anything in 3D space.

Familiar Friend

6,825 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Friendly 100
Crescent Stardust
Hello.

I've been working on these drawings and have been asking all my art friends for their advice, suggestions and if they could even help by redlining.

I don't want these drawings to be good. I want them to be great.

Thank you smile

User Image

User Image

I'm a sketcher...

So far i could say that the Body is not in correct proportion for a manga warrior
Have you ever noticed (in SOME) manga that the female has more muscle than usual, for a paladin she has none

In the second picture her thigh is too long and her feet too small and if the wind is blowing her hair backwards her back part of the tunic would be the only this that flows really and the front part would flow inwards and wrap around her thighs

I could red line it out for you but only if you want

but you're pretty good honestly ^^
the hands are lovely and the facial expressions are nicely done

manga style characters are measured in heads adult Females are approximately 7 heads tall

User Image

and here is for side view (or 3/4 i should say)

User Image

I know this will sound soooo lame but dont be afraid to do linings (like draw a stick figure before you draw the actual figure)

It honestly helps

BUT don't take this the wrong way you are a very nice artist
^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out