Welcome to Gaia! ::

I usually leave my anthros with human faces, but I also usually like to do more than tails and ears.
I thank you for your input, but I really don't worry too much about people flaming me. Never seems right to get upset about something that never physically happened neutral
Blue.Klaus
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum; Picture Post seems more for discussing the finished work's, and not so much the style. But if it is incorrect, please tell me -.-''

My style is more centered around anime than anything else, but recently I've been looking into anthro art. I've been somewhat improving on my style, and I think I want to try something new. The latest thing I've done (Sorry for the art whoring) was to me still anime, but I want to do something similar to it, only more anthro-esque.

So my question to you is:

When doing humaniod anthro drawings, would you say that the face more defines what it is than simply ears and a tail?

You need to draw the muzzle if you want it to look more "anthro-ish". Otherwise it just looks like a human with ears and a tail. Also try maybe using animal-ish feet.
I would not call adding only ears and a tail an anthro, but I really don't know what it looks like. For some reasion, it won't come up, so I cannot really tell you if your drawing is considered an anthro (by my standards anyhoo) I'm sorry you could not obtain my opinion on your art, though I don't think many care, I am a horrid critic. ^^ .....
Your avatar is kawaii. -^^- I want to hug it.
Clockwork Leviathan
You need to draw the muzzle if you want it to look more "anthro-ish".
I don't know if you mean this just for this guy, or for all anthros... But I don't draw muzzles on my anthros, but they look just fine.
Hmm... no.. I can see it now, I consider it to be a fox boy as well (I would have thought it to be a wolf, but I have heard from you otherwise. ^^ wink
Floof Wolf
Clockwork Leviathan
You need to draw the muzzle if you want it to look more "anthro-ish".
I don't know if you mean this just for this guy, or for all anthros... But I don't draw muzzles on my anthros, but they look just fine.
Hmmm, very interesting 3nodding
In order to make things more anthro you really have to do a lot of drawing of that particular animal - dog, rabbit, bird hyenna or whatever- and abstract the qualities which make it look like that animal- be it a longer snout, thicker paws, ruffs at the edges of cheeks or eye spots etc.

-that way theywill be more real to the character instead of a lot of the generic- anthro art isee out there which just looks like they don't even know what the animal really looks like. -sorry about that last edge comment

enjoy
Most things that I consider anthro usually have more animal traits than your foxboy. Most include the fur pattern of the animal, the muzzle, ears, tail, hindpaws, and some are taur( like a centaur but of the chosen animal) however this is only my interpretation of anthromorphic drawings, and I do know a very few that would think that your foxboy is anthro enough.

When it comes down to it, you can call it whatever you want, but if you ever want to post it on DA then your foxboy wouldn't cut it.
What defines the animal link is really up to the artist. Everyone has their own opinions on the matter and styles that define these opinions.

For example, I don't like to draw my cat-people with tails, but I compensate for that with giving them elongated feet that only contact the ground with the frontal part, similar to that of a cat's.Also, I usually don't give them fur at all and stick with skin. Sometimes I'll give them a bit of a muzzle as well.

When drawing anthros/furries/anthromorphics/ whatever you want to call them, it's also good to have some reference on hand. I use a book on cat breeds and I watch my grandma's cat Tudor for hours on end.

Anthro characters are defined by what you want them to be. Variety is the spice of life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff