Welcome to Gaia! ::

Firestarter

I might double post this in critique but I don't think it belongs there since it isn't finished. This is more of a plea for help.
I'm still learning digital, I'm getting comfortable with doing skin but I'll be darned if I have no idea how to do hair. Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe some tips on how they do hair?

I use SAI.

User Image

Finished attempt:
User Image

Jserin's Prince

Anxious Lunatic

12,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
I usually tend to sketch hair and other things on a low opacity layer, outline it with cleaner lines, then make a final, darker outline.. It takes a couple of hours since I'm pretty slow.

I can't say I have any wips to show step by step how it works, but I it usually goes from something like this:
User Image

to this:
User Image

i don't know if that helps at all since I don't airbrush things out redface

Sweet Sweetheart

I use the brush tool on Fine_Round_1 and then play around with the blending and opacity. After the initial strokes with a large brush size, the hair will natural have aspects of light and dark where the brush strokes overlap, creating hair sections. Then just adjust these slightly to work with your lighting and use a smaller brush to add shadows/highlights where they make sense, following the pattern the original brushing created. This method works best with a 5 solid base layer and about a 3-4 shade brush over top (following the 1 black - 10 white scale). Clipping the layer to the base is advised.

Firestarter

cl a v i cl

Sorry about the delayed response; thank you for the reply!
I snooped around on your tumblr, checking between your wips and how you refined as you went. Was helpful!

Thanks!

Firestarter

monsers_inc

I really should take some time and learn about the settings on the brush tool. I'll definitely follow your advise and do some practicing on layering/blending and setting a base layer.

Thank you for taking time to respond!

Jserin's Prince

Anxious Lunatic

12,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
Grimwyse
cl a v i cl

Sorry about the delayed response; thank you for the reply!
I snooped around on your tumblr, checking between your wips and how you refined as you went. Was helpful!

Thanks!

glad I could help redface

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas