Welcome to Gaia! ::

hello! C:
this is my first time posting on here, but please, by no means does that mean any of you should go easy on me. i'd really like to get into digital art, and i've been trying to by borrowing my friend's tablet. the program i've been using is paint.net.

what i'd really love is an explanation of what i might be doing wrong, and any critique you find necessary.
i was going for a more painterly style with this, and it sort of came out horrendous. xD;

User Image

@ w @
help please?
I see what you were going for and it was bold but yeah, but it kind of got unintelligible. xD; It would probably help if the brush strokes were following the flow of the lineart. Some gentle blending with the same flow might help as well. And brighter highlights, maybe?
puella in somnio
I see what you were going for and it was bold but yeah, but it kind of got unintelligible. xD; It would probably help if the brush strokes were following the flow of the lineart. Some gentle blending with the same flow might help as well. And brighter highlights, maybe?

ohmygoodness that seems so logical now that i read it. xD;;
i was also afraid that the blending might muss up the colors i was trying to get, but it shouldn't on a lower opacity. thank you so much for your help! C:

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

The angle of the eyes and upper nose, is as if you were looking down on it from above. The lower face is as if you were facing it more directly. It makes it look a little disjointed. Next time try drawing the rough shape of the skull before building on it.
I know this isn't much of critique but I can barely tell what's going on. :C
If it's a painterly look you want, don't use Pain.Net as it's main uses are slight photo editing and vectors. a lot of people say good things about SAI (ENG fan-made version) though I haven't used it, personally, and it requires purchase after a 30 day trial. I use MyPaint, a free program that has some faults but I personally love the brushes and the way the program responds to pen pressure.

Also: you'll want to study tutorials and lessons on the basics of illustration and digital art, an AMAZING website for that is Ctrl Paint

Hope this helps and you benefit from it all if art is your passion.

Newbie Genius

4,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I agree about making a clearer difference between light and shadows, and maybe you could use some different colours (gently blended in) to make it clearer, as well. 3nodding

And I second the recommendation of MyPaint, I used it for a while when I couldn't use any other programs, and I found it very nice to use.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff