Welcome to Gaia! ::

LADY GAlAGAlA
I only found out about this part of Gaia yesterday, slow, I know, but I hope it's not too late to join this thread? If you'll accept me: this is my prelim.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had something come up.

First things first:

No shading. Do another without it and post that before moving on. (You can start with the videos as soon as you post. You don't have to wait for me to reply.

Your lines are fairly well controlled and you have a sense of 2D spacing, which is great, because that means you can get right down to working on your concepts without drilling on your hand eye coordination.

I found the way you handled the cube very interesting. You turned the world over to solve the puzzle. I also noticed you added something extra. The ability to think outside of the box is a wonderful strength, but it can also be the shovel you use to dig your own grave. Take care that you don't undermine the scope of the work or ignore directions as you work.

If makes you strong in that you can sift through the situation and build a creative way to solve it. That's what I think happened with the cube. Make sure the world remains consistent. If the cube is "sitting on the paper", then everything must do the same thing. If not, then you end up with the cube "standing on a corner", because the world is set by the other things on the page.

We're going to work on seeing and understanding how things exist in space so you can show this existence in line. This is part of giving yourself the power to draw what you want in your own style, no matter what that is, with confidence and skill. (Doesn't happen overnight, of course.)

I can tell that working with you will be interesting and I look forward to it.
Errol McGillivray
LADY GAlAGAlA
I only found out about this part of Gaia yesterday, slow, I know, but I hope it's not too late to join this thread? If you'll accept me: this is my prelim.

First things first:

No shading. Do another without it and post that before moving on. (You can start with the videos as soon as you post. You don't have to wait for me to reply.

My second attempt at the prelim.

I wasn't sure if shadows under the figures counted as shading, so to be safe, I did not draw any. I also switched to a darker pencil for you.
LADY GAlAGAlA
Errol McGillivray
LADY GAlAGAlA

First things first:

My second attempt at the prelim.

I wasn't sure if shadows under the figures counted as shading, so to be safe, I did not draw any. I also switched to a darker pencil for you.
without the shading, (well, with the shading too) it's clear that you're very much rooted in 2D. Learning to see and understand space as it exists may be a bit of an uphill battle for a while, but once you get it, you'll be killin that s**t.

Anyway, before I email you with my observations, tell me yours. Compare the quiz image to your drawing. What did you capture and what looks different? (You can PM the reply.)
Errol McGillivray
it's clear that you're very much rooted in 2D. Learning to see and understand space as it exists may be a bit of an uphill battle for a while, but once you get it, you'll be killin that s**t.

Anyway, before I email you with my observations, tell me yours. Compare the quiz image to your drawing. What did you capture and what looks different? (You can PM the reply.)

I hadn't thought of it before, but I think you're right. I don't really try to draw things 3D, and I hadn't noticed. It's hard! sweatdrop But, I'm really looking forward to learning it!

You've been PMed!
LADY GAlAGAlA
Errol McGillivray
it's clear that you're very much rooted in 2D. Learning to see and understand space as it exists may be a bit of an uphill battle for a while, but once you get it, you'll be killin that s**t.

I hadn't thought of it before, but I think you're right. I don't really try to draw things 3D, and I hadn't noticed. It's hard! sweatdrop But, I'm really looking forward to learning it!

You've been PMed!
It is hard, but it becomes second nature pretty quickly once you do understand it. It will also solve a lot of problems people who are more "advanced" still continually suffer from. So you'll be ahead of the game.

Edit: I forgot to mention in the PM... 1. You did pick the right set up to draw.
2. Don't forget the link right after the critique link. You don't have to show me that stuff, but try to do them.
I think this is a brilliant idea, and thank you so much for all the effort you put in

I hope it's not too late to start?

I was slightly confused by the prelim task, I wasn't sure if you wanted shading or not.... so I ended up drawing two different prelims ^__^"

[Prelim with shading]
[Prelim without shading]
CritterCat
I think this is a brilliant idea, and thank you so much for all the effort you put in

I was slightly confused by the prelim task, I wasn't sure if you wanted shading or not.... so I ended up drawing two different prelims ^__^"

[Prelim with shading]
[Prelim without shading]
Interesting. You're the first person to realize that there's a difference and that it's important. I'm really glad you posted both.

I can see that you have some kind of understanding that 3D as there is something "in front" and something "behind" with space in the middle. We'll work on getting a more realistic sense of space. I also find it very interesting that when you use shading, you stood the cylinder up. In a way, you used shading to replace the idea of space. That's probably because you're thinking of volume with line, but surface with shading. It's a step ahead, but at the same time, a step behind. You're going to have to break the notion that they're two different things in order to get that realistic sense of space.

I won't get into lines, because that's going to be covered in the first week, but yours are confident and have a good bit of control. For linework, you will want to practice to gain precision as well.

Go ahead and move on. Good luck!
Errol McGillivray
CritterCat

[Prelim with shading]
[Prelim without shading]
Interesting. You're the first person to realize that there's a difference and that it's important. I'm really glad you posted both.

I can see that you have some kind of understanding that 3D as there is something "in front" and something "behind" with space in the middle. We'll work on getting a more realistic sense of space. I also find it very interesting that when you use shading, you stood the cylinder up. In a way, you used shading to replace the idea of space. That's probably because you're thinking of volume with line, but surface with shading. It's a step ahead, but at the same time, a step behind. You're going to have to break the notion that they're two different things in order to get that realistic sense of space.

I won't get into lines, because that's going to be covered in the first week, but yours are confident and have a good bit of control. For linework, you will want to practice to gain precision as well.

Go ahead and move on. Good luck!

Hm that's really interesting, I never consciously noticed until you pointed it out, but now that I think about it, I do try and use line to convey volume. Is that a bad thing?

Also, I've done Quiz 1 and I sent it to you in a PM
User Image

The one on the right has the best sphere I've ever drawn in my life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff