Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Lunatic

I'm working on drawing my current avatar, which I have labelled 'Burlesque Mouse' - even though her tail it more... gerbil-y.
I'd like opinions or something.
Also please ignore the arms. I know they're terrible and I'm going to change them.

User Image

And I could use some nice references for the skirt I'm trying to draw.
I get the feeling I've seen this sort of skirt before.... where there are two tails of sorts in the back/on the side. But I don't know what I'd be looking for.

Tipsy Lunatic

this forum is sloooooow.

Tipsy Lunatic

I see no structure lines. Try not to rely so heavily on your references and use them only as a general idea and work from there. I also suggest using a brush pen to come up with pose ideas. Draw a tiny thumbnail at the bottom of your workspace and use that for drawing your pose. When there are no structure lines, it is hard to believe this was drawn with anything other then hand and eye coordination while looking at a reference.

There is nothing wrong with referencing poses and using them, however, if you want to improve as an artist, trying to slowly work away from having to rely on doing this will only make you better. Challenging yourself and learning through failing is an amazing way to improve rather quickly.

Tipsy Lunatic

StarlitUniverse
I see no structure lines. Try not to rely so heavily on your references and use them only as a general idea and work from there. I also suggest using a brush pen to come up with pose ideas. Draw a tiny thumbnail at the bottom of your workspace and use that for drawing your pose. When there are no structure lines, it is hard to believe this was drawn with anything other then hand and eye coordination while looking at a reference.

There is nothing wrong with referencing poses and using them, however, if you want to improve as an artist, trying to slowly work away from having to rely on doing this will only make you better. Challenging yourself and learning through failing is an amazing way to improve rather quickly.

The Jester says...

Actually, I don't work with references a lot. This is the first time in a long time I've bothered to.
I worked directly from a reference for the pose and the shape of the body because I wanted to give her a particular look that I thought would be better achieved this way.
However I DID use structural lines a little bit, but they'd been erased to make room for some of the detail by the time I posted this. There are actually still some hints of them in the erased bits around the hips and such.
Not gonna lie though, I totally fudged the arms, and it shows.

...you are highly entertained

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces