Welcome to Gaia! ::

If the answer is "1433 days", what is the question?

"At what point do libraries abandon fines and introduce hitmen?" 0.33039294306335 33.0% [ 824 ]
"How long does it take Stephen Hawking to sing Bohemian Rhapsody?" 0.25501202886929 25.5% [ 636 ]
"I am the Leap Year Killer, when will I strike next?" 0.41459502806736 41.5% [ 1034 ]
Total Votes:[ 2494 ]

Amateur Saint

14,400 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
<OOC mode="on">
^ I now know never to RP with you, Storylab... not, at least, until I get things all figured out with my characters and having them drive the action organically. I'd probably be too much of a novice for your level.

If people don't like my answer, it's fine, but I'm not changing it.
The one thing I never wish to see come true? My family dying without coming to know the Lord. So I'm going to strive to be a better witness.

TNP: The adage goes "you are what you eat". Pick a food ingredient (any sort of grain or derivative thereof, meat/poultry/fish, vegetable/fruit/fungus...) that you often eat and tell us what you might have in common with said food ingredient (or its source; if you pick beef you might think of what you have in common with cows, for example).

v 8D Awesome answer all in all, Iabiel! I'll admit I never expected you to come up with that ingredient. Plus, your mentioning a sambal of any sort just brings me back to my homeland. whee

Questionable Cat

Sambal Oelek. I use it in EEEEEEEEVERYTHING.
Well, almost.
Sambal Oelek is not in your typical kitchen, at least where I am from. It at first seems innocuous, that green lid with the red liquidy paste inside the jar. It smells wonderful, the garlic mingling with the chili and vinegar, and it looks like it can go with anything! But boy, does this stuff pack a punch for the average North American taste buds, and it can make a man sweat if they use just a little too much.
The similarities I see with this fantastic ingredient and myself is that I can gel well with pretty much every situation and type of person, especially given my odd work history. Also, many people I only know on a professional level are surprised when they hear me curse or make "ur mom" jokes.

What is your favoritest song in the whole wide world? Why is it your favorite and what does it mean to you?

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
Res

Man, it's tough. I listen to plenty of songs that I love but I can't pick from them. But after a careful thought, I say "Shut Up And Explode" by Boom Boom Satellites is my favorite song. I really enjoy playing this song on my drum set. It has its upbeat tune and BBS is a peachy band. I have a couple of their songs too. Anyway, yeah, I suppose this is my favorite song because its upbeat rhythm makes me happy. And I just love playing this song on the drums.

At school, what is your LEAST favorite subject and why?

Profitable Prophet

Art. I'd jam a ******** pencil through my eye before drawing another god damn fruit bowl. ******** that s**t.

If you could have any super power, what would you choose?

Animal Bloodsucker

Shapeshifting. To me, it's practically the best superpower ever, because if it's the kind when you take on the properties of whatever or whoever you transform (into including other superpowers), then you can have whatever superpower you want.

What do you think is the most difficult language? Why?

v No, don't apologize. I learned a lot!

Amateur Saint

14,400 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
<OOC mode="on">

Reserved.
Ooh, tough one, this! Am I to consider this question from the perspective of a linguist (NB: linguist ≠ polyglot) or my own personal perspective? ... never mind, I think I'll mix in a bit of both. (Thought process is in spoiler tags.)

We often have the most difficulty, I find, with languages that are the most dissimilar to ours. I grew up with English and Chinese from childhood, and picked up French in secondary school and junior college (for Americans: middle and high school); these three are my core languages, so we have two Indo-European languages (one West Germanic, one Romance) and one Sino-Tibetan language in the mix.

Now the Germanic and Romance languages are such that cognates are easy to spot; not so with the Sino-Tibetan (sometimes aurally, but not really), especially with the whole deal with the genesis of tones and the loss of historic phonemes. But all three share this one trait: where the numbers of morphemes (units linking form and meaning) in a word are concerned, all three are on the low end (analytic / isolating). They all tend to use prefixes and suffixes if they do need to add morphemes to words, though.

Scripts can complicate matters too. I function best with alphabets (1 character per consonant or vowel), but give me an abugida or a syllabary (1 character per syllable) and I ought to be able to use it too. Abjads (1 character per consonant; vowel-marking optional or dependent on certain criteria) or a whole new system of logograms (think of a script that works on the same principle as Chinese characters) will throw me off, though.

Orthographic opacity (the fact that certain graphemes can correspond to many phonemes) also throws things off, as can rare phonemes.

Objectively, all those factors weighed in, I can say I've learned some pretty tough languages (the two I've grown up with since childhood? Oh yeah, they're rather difficult, going by the abovementioned factors). Zulu or Xhosa may prove difficult for some with a similar background to mine, though.
Still, subjectively, I'm going to single Arabic out as most difficult (yes, even though, logically, something polysynthetic should be most different and hence most difficult). It has some pretty tough phonemes to pronounce (clicks are tougher, but still... pronunciation isn't the most major roadblock where I'm concerned), I can't figure head or tail of what the semantics are behind the adding of affixes (notably the transfixes), and ... perhaps I'm learning it in a way that does not fit my style at all. But yeah, when I feel I can't handle it, I just want to scream at my teachers, "GIMME MORE OF THE SEMANTICS BEHIND THE AFFIXES, DARNIT."

Erm. Sorry.

TNP: What is (or would be, if it's not something we already have) the invention that would make your life the most efficient, and why?

Cold Creature

reserved

Well, a teleportation device. I don't think the technology in this era is capable of inventing this yet, but imagine how would it be if it were to be made. No more waiting, No shipping. Overall, it saves time, money, and natural resources.

What is the best toy you ever had during your childhood ?

Questionable Cat

Hmm... I honestly don't remember many of my toys... The most prominent one in my memory though was a brown Pound Kitten I named Brownie. That thing went EVERYWHERE with me, like it was sewed to my soul. I refused to go to bed without it! Sometimes I got so bent out of shape when it was bed time and I couldn't find Brownie, my grandparents friends, who were over playing cards, helped my parents and grandparents look for it!
I guess Brownie was just a mere glimpse of how much of a crazy cat lady I would become..... >_>

What is the least favorite thing you have to almost every day?
Getting out of bed doesn't count.

Conservative Gaian

It may not be almost every day, but it's 11 out of 12 months. Close enough.
School.
When I was in k-12, it wasn't so bad considering much of the basics I learned in that time were things I could at least use in my day to day life. Save for Physics. Now that I've tasted college, I absolutely despise it -- not only must I get up disgustingly early in the morning to attend things called "core classes" (or busywork classes), I must pay an ungodly amount of money for it. I'm very biased toward the fact that I am forced to take incredibly in-depth classes that won't contribute toward a single thing in the universe. Intro to College Math. Sure -- it's nothing I haven't seen before, and it's very basic day-to-day application. Advanced Astronomy. I'm an English major; what am I going to do with this? And as far as I'm concerned, our solar system still has 9 planets, and that's all I'll ever need to know. (MY GRANDCHILDREN. BACK IN MY DAY, WE DIDN'T JUST HAVE 8 PLANETS.)
Please. Let me do something that actually contributes to my profession instead of trying to stick me in a class to 1) Sap more money out of my pocket and 2) "Expand my boundaries."

Do you find yourself craving a particular food every once in a while, and if so, what is it?

Invisible Phantom

I'd like to say chocolate, since I pretty much crave it all the time, but sometimes I also suddenly get this really strong craving for scrambled eggs. No idea why.

What kind of music did you grow up with, and what band/song/genre/whatever holds the most fond memories for you?

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
Res.

I grew up in the Philippines and I enjoyed listening to Filipino rock music. When we bought our first radio (probably when I was about eight years young), I was introduced to American rock music by my cousin. Linkin Park was the first rock band that I listened and their music spoke to me (figuratively speaking). I became a LP fan since then, and I bought my first LP album "Hybrid Theory". I rocked that album because it was awesome, and it's still a great album to date.

If you have the ability to travel through time, to when/what time period would you go/visit, and why?

Friendly Friend

I don't think I would travel through time at all. I mean, I have the ability to travel to other places right now (as we all do) and I don't take advantage of it. I'd stay in my own time and let others have their adventures.

What do you consider to be your best quality?

Questionable Cat

Hmmm.... The ability to tolerate anyone. By anyone I mean people who are delusional, have personality disorders, are psychotic, etc. It makes my chosen career so much simpler... even though it pays s**t all. lol

Lets say you just won 550million, with taxes already taken out. What would be your first purchase?
Wouldn't purchase anything. Except maybe a laptop with better processing power. Because the one thing that I want and need at the moment is priceless, but everyone else already has it.

Biggest peeve, tnp?

Sydney Darell's Buttercup

Ursine Investigator

(( Hmm...Racists defending themselves. I cringe whenever that happens and feel for whoever they offended to the max. D8

TNP: How do you feel about bears? ))

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces