Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Winners have been sent prizes!
                      Every story was great!
                      Thank you for reading and writing with us!

This summer, we would like to begin a new tradition of shorter
                      event contests that either involve flash fiction, or mini comics.
                      So, here we have the first annual
                      Summer Event Gaia NPC
                      Flash Fiction Contest!
                      As the name suggests we will be
                      taking short stories about our dear NPCs from Gaians around
                      the site and these will be compared with other stories based
                      on originality, hilarity, story, and whatever else my mind can
                      think of. These NPCs can be anyone from our well known
                      shop keepers, to our holiday figures to characters who have
                      popped up in RIGs or have items named after them.

The Gaia NPC Story Contest is an ongoing series of writing
                      contests which feature, you guessed it, Gaia's many NPCs.
                      Gaia has what feels like an infinite number of NPCs who are
                      often neglected. Now is your chance have your favorite NPC
                      see a little bit of the spotlight in the Gaia NPC Story Contest.
                      We know how hard it is for Gaia to feature everyone's favorite
                      NPC and how overwhelming it can get with the many NPC's.
                      Therefore we introduced this contest as a good way to see
                      your favorites and also let you get to know other people's
                      favorites that you might not even know existed.

The Gaia NPC Story Contest was first conceived on a bit of a
                      whim by Yeata Zi in the summer of 2012. She was a bit tired
                      of Gaia focusing on only a couple of NPCs and really wanted
                      to learn about the secret lives of the many other NPCs around
                      this wonderful world. So she scraped and begged and raised
                      enough gold to throw a fantastic contest!

Many folks from all around Gaia came together and wrote
                      stories about these untold NPCs and forgotten characters.
                      They had fun not only writing tales about Gaia's NPCs, but
                      reading about them as well! Wonderful friendships were forged
                      between contestants and non-contestants alike!

For this contest, we will be choosing three winners each
                      of which will receive a June Monthly Collectible.

Good luck!

The contest will run as long as the event does.

.:Rules For The Thread:.
                      • Be kind to your fellow posters.
                      • Follow Gaia ToS
                      • Don't quote the first page please (it's annoying)
                      • If you read someone's story, please be constructive in your
                        opinions. We are trying to build people up, not bring them down.
                      • You can PM me or Quote me if you want my attention. I may
                        be slow to respond, but I will always attempt it.
                      • Sore Loser Law: If you happen to throw a fit after the judging
                        is finished and you don't place in the top 5, I will totally add you to
                        the ignore list and you will not be allowed to participate in any further
                        contests. I really hate that I had to add this rule, but we had problems
                        with this in both the other two contests. We get tons of entries, and
                        believe us it is difficult to choose a top 5, but we must.

Example:
                      Ysavvryl

Hand in Hand

He had large rough hands with an unmistakable fishy scent. It should have been a turn off, but instead Logan was interesting due to his unabashed showing of manliness. In contrast, Liam's smooth and well-groomed hands smelled of powder, metal, and sweat. Their hands were tightly linked, eyes locked in an unwavering connection. How had they ended up like this? It had been irresistible. Logan had impressive size, but that wasn't everything.

Having built up slowly, Liam made one strong push and slammed Logan's hand onto the table. “Got you, old man,” he teased.

“Don't get smug on me,” Logan said gruffly. “One win doesn't mean you're the best at arm wrestling.”

Liam kept his elbow on the table and offered his hand again. “Show me, then.”

Here is a list of links to our previous contests and our ever open
                                          Donation Thread. We are currently trying to raise enough gold
                                          for a full Gaia NPC Story Contest. Feel Free to Hop on over and
                                          donate. (Also, it gets updatedthe most with new links, so it
                                          wouldn't be a bad idea to subscribe to it if you are interested in
                                          future contests.

Please look at the entries from the old contests! They are all
                                          wonderful reads.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.:Old Contests:.

.:First Gaia NPC Story Contest:.July 23rd, 2012
                                          The first contest we hosted had 15 entries and a very
                                          general theme. About 2 million gold was given away in
                                          prizes. We had a really great time running this contest
                                          and reading the amazing entries.

.:Second GNPCS; Spooky Edition:. Halloween 2012
                                          We wanted to throw a GNPCSC with a spookier theme
                                          for our second contest. We had five wonderfully spooky
                                          entries and everyone of them walked away with a gold
                                          prize of at least 100k. (Prizes went up to 1 mil).

.:GNPCSC III: Random Genre:.April and May 2013
                                          We tried something a little different with a random
                                          genre generator. All our writers had to stretch their
                                          writing abilities and try a genre they weren't used to.
                                          We gave away a little over 2.5 million gold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.:Our Ever-Open Donation Thread:.

Please donate to keep the GNPCSC going

First of all, it is important to note that you are writing a
                      Flash Fiction! These are incredibly short stories with a cap
                      of 300 words. (We won't be upset if it's 304 words that you
                      enter)

It is also important to note that the focus of your story must
                      be on one of Gaia's many NPCs. (Bonus points if it's event
                      related)

.:Story Rules:.
                      • I take plagiarism very seriously. If I even sense that it has
                        occurred, you will be instantly
                      • removed from the contest and placed on my ignore list. The
                        point here is to be creative an have fun.
                      • Have fun!
                      • Have a look at the rubric for better idea of what I'm looking for.
                      • Follow the directions on the entry form carefully.
                      • Remember you are being judged on how well you fit the theme
                        of the contest. For this contest the theme is that you adhere to the
                        random genre you happen to randomly be assigned. (see entry form
                        post for further details) Failure to do this means you will definitely
                        lose points.
                      • Flash Fiction. 300 word limit.
                      • If you have further questions, PM me.

.:Rubric:.

• Originality: Rate 1-10 with 1 being so unoriginal it is a bore
                        and 10 being flipping mind-blowingly awesome.

• Grammar, Spelling and Sentence structure: Rate 1-10 with 1 being
                        so horrible it would make your sixth grade English teacher cry and
                        10 being so immaculate, heaven itself opens up to shine a light down
                        on this perfect piece of literature.

• Organization: Rate 1-10 with 1 being entirely unorganized so much
                        that the reader has no idea what transpired and 10 creates an interesting,
                        clear narrative told from a consistent point of view.

• Elaboration: Rate 1-10 with 1 being something similar to "See Spot Run"
                        and 10 being a story that describes characters, setting, actions, etc in a
                        clear and entertaining way.

• Theme: Rate 1-10 with 1 being did not follow theme of contest at all and
                        10 being excellent adherence to the contest theme going above and beyond
                        our expectations. In the case of this contest this involves writing a Flash
                        Fiction.

.:When You're Ready:.
                      After you have written your Flash Fiction, put it in your Gaia Journal as an entry.
                      Then, fill out the following form and PM it to me.

[b]Username[/b]: Put your username here.
                      [b]Title of Story[/b]: Here, you put your short story's Title!
                      [b]NPCs involved[/b]: What NPCs does this story focus on?
                      [b]Link[/b]: Here, you will link to your Journal Entry in which you have posted this story.

Username: Sebikaku.
                                          Title of Story: Late Night Package.
                                          NPCs involved: Devin. Lance.
                                          Link: [LINK]

Late Night Package.
                                          Devin's heart raced. He was, standing in front of someone's home in the dead of night. It was warm out, the customary temperature for a hot summer evening. He gathered up his courage before finally ringing the doorbell, the loud ring causing him to jump. He had been standing out there for twenty minutes, nervous about even being at this house, because it wasn't just any house, it was his house. He had been dragged out of sleep by a phone call from Lance, speaking in a hushed and exasperated voice. "I need you to come over, now." The way he spoke sent shivers down Devin's spine.

The door opened and Devin looked onward, pleasantly surprised at the sight that was before him. Lance was in his usual work uniform, but on this particular night, his shirt was unbuttoned, exposing his bare chest. Lance panted slightly as he greeted Devin, gesturing for him to enter. "Sorry you have to see me like this," Lance said, wiping his brow with the back of his hand, "But we have a huge package to work with."

Devin's heart thumped as Lance led him upstairs to the bedroom, a million thoughts racing through his mind. "We'll have to be quiet," Lance said, as he opened the door slowly, flicking the light switch as he entered. Devin's mind went into a state of confusion as he looked at the room, a multitude of fluffs were spread across the area, quietly sleeping. "Blaze is finding these in shiploads," Lance softly said, handing Devin a box, smiling as he placed it into his hands, "We've gotta get these things out of here before they wake up." Devin smiled back awkwardly, feeling both embarrassed and disappointed.

Username: Lazarus Larkin
                                          Title of Story: Getaway
                                          NPCs involved: Lex, Arturo Robusto
                                          Link: https://www.gaiaonline.com/journal/?mode=view&post_id=34410601&u=15961

June meant that most of Gaia flocked to the Isle de Gambino's beaches, drawn to the allure of a tropical lifestyle. For those who lived there, though, summer was when all the best restaurants were suddenly choked with lei-clad tourists.

This year was especially horrible – you couldn't go three feet without tripping over some hideous fluff monster. On one of his days off, even though the sky was powder blue and the surf calling gently, Lex decided he'd had enough.

He picked Barton because it lacked Aekea's sulfur smell and because Durem reminded him how much he missed Edmund. The problem was that the shopping scene in Barton just wasn't that great. Sure, Barton Boutique had some wild stuff, and he could go get some cupcakes from Buttercup Cafe to take home, but it didn't exactly cater to his dressy-casual style.

Lex found a shirt he liked anyway. He headed into the fitting room, but as he started unbuttoning he felt a chill, like someone blowing on the back of his neck with icy-cold breath.

“Arturo,” he muttered. “Long time no see.”

The translucent face of the long-dead star came into view in the mirror. “I am hurt, passeroto. I enjoyed your company so on your last visit, yet you did not return.”

“You ogled me while I was trying on pants. It was... weird.”

“Very well,” Arturo said, voice laden with spectral melancholy. “If you do not desire your company as I do yours, I will depart. Yet let me make one inquiry. Have you been working out? Your torso is, as they say, totally ripped.”

“You noticed?” Lex asked, mood lifting. Maybe hanging out in a dressing room with a creepy ghost wasn't so bad after all.

Username: VKiera
                                          Title of Story: Autumn Chill
                                          NPCs involved: The Sandman
                                          Link: Yet somehow he is always there.

~ Autumn Chill

Irked by his demands, but bound by her word, she keeps her promise.

Though she never sees him again after that day.

Yet somehow he is always there.

In the cold wind at her back that whispers in her ear, that curls her hair like his chilled fingers. In the snow flakes that tickle her nose, she feels him.

She’ll never thank him, not even if given the chance, she’s too proud for that.

But sometimes on late autumn nights as she leaps through the city, her golden sand sending all into the world of dreams, she pauses in her dream weaving when a chill flutters in the air.

Frost laces windows, delicate patterns that have become all too familiar to her.

Pale fingers touch gold lips.

Despite the warm colors of the fading fall leaves that surround her she sees only blue.

Despite the chill, she only remembers the warmth.

Gaia NPC Flash Fiction Contest: June
                                          Word Count: 300/300
                                          Username: Urd Tanzanite.
                                          Title of Story: “If Into Hands, Then Into Heart”
                                          NPCs Involved: Ol’ Pete, Blaze, water taxi operator
                                          Link: http://www.gaiaonline.com/journal/?mode=view&post_id=34412159&u=12595843

“See you in a couple of hours.” Waving goodbye to the water-taxi operator, Pete leapt onto the pier.
                                          As he walked past the Screaming Dagger, Pete looked around, curious at all the fluffs. He’d seen them in Village Greens and as far away as Gold Beach, but never here before. And no one had rings equipped for battle.
                                          Pete approached a Gaian that had waved at him in recognition. He got that a lot from donators. They always seemed surprised to see him not near a Dumpster.
                                          After a chat during which the Gaian handed over fistfuls of crumpled newspaper—he had to remember to visit Peyo—Pete headed toward the West Market.

Blaze waved him over. “Hey Pete, here, take this little goofball.”
                                          Pete examined the glowing green fluff in his arms. It was warm; it pulsated. He set it down quickly as Blaze handed him a tote with a balloon tied to it. Inside was a pamphlet, a bag of marshmallows, a sponge, and a T-shirt.
                                          “So…” Pete glanced at its nametag, “…Louis, you like playing games?”

On the other side of the Tic-Tac-Toe grid, the Gaian bowed at the drawn game. Pete nodded acknowledgement as he stooped to feed Louis a strawberry marshmallow.

Flinging a donut at the cop fluff, Pete distracted it long enough for Louis to bound past to the last flag. “Woo-hoo!” Pete crammed a leftover donut into his mouth before throwing both arms up in victory.

Bouncing off the Fluff Dance stage, Louis landed in Pete’s arms. Rather than setting it on the sand, Pete took out the star-shaped sponge and washed it down.
                                          Later, standing on the seashore, hearing the fluff bouncing behind him, Pete took a moment to appreciate the sunset. “Louis, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

Username: C r s y l
                                          Title of Story: I thought I lost you
                                          NPCs involved: Scuppers
                                          Link: Journal

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

Schlaghund's Princess

Sweetest Delight

58,900 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Sunny Side Up 100
What a cute idea! heart I managed to miss the past iterations, but I'll be keeping an eye here. 3nodding

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
shellsmachine
What a cute idea! heart I managed to miss the past iterations, but I'll be keeping an eye here. 3nodding
It's pretty fun. The old stories are really cool too.

Peaceful Lunatic

All right, ready to read some stories! mrgreen

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Ysavvryl
All right, ready to read some stories! mrgreen
Wooh! I hope so anyway!

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
Very happy to see this up and running.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Not many seem interested so far. D:

Cold Guardian

38,000 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Winged 100
  • Magical Girl 50
huzza will definitely try to write up a little short for this!

Peaceful Lunatic

I had a little idea, although it wouldn't be an official entry cause I offered to judge/review smile

Captcha: vote pancakes. No thank you razz

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Ysavvryl
I had a little idea, although it wouldn't be an official entry cause I offered to judge/review smile

Captcha: vote pancakes. No thank you razz
WRITE ONE!

It can be an example. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out