Welcome to Gaia! ::

Don't you hate it when the ignorant Americans on Gaia are blindly convinced that America is the best country?

"We know our country isn't perfect, but it's closest."

"Even though Bush won, we are still the best country... Because we are America."

Sorry, you United Statesians, but your arrogance and ignorance only reinforce the "American idiot" stereotype in this forum.

Please try to justify your belief that America is the best country.

We have a democracy!

Actually, you have a representative democracy, but so does Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany, and other countries. As of 2003, the majority of the world's people live in representative democracies [1].

India is the largest democracy (democratic republic) in the world [7], and Switzerland is the strongest example of a direct democracy [8].

We have the Freedom of Speech!!!

It is true that the United States has the most liberal freedom of speech. However, other countries such as Canada, Germany, and the European Union also have the freedom of speech; generally, the only restrictions are for preventing hate speech.

Outlawing hate speech does not cause the downfall of democracy, as these countries also have a representative democracy, which I mentioned above.

The United States tied at 22nd or 23rd in the worldwide Freedom of the Press index in 2004, while eight countries tied for first place [9].

We are the most intellectually advanced!

No.

In general, America is backwards and conservative compared to other developed countries. [2]

Quote:
By any measure, the United States remains a highly religious nation, compared to other developed countries. And its citizens tend to hold more conservative beliefs. For example, the percentage of adults who believe that "the Bible is the actual word of God and it is to be taken literally, word for word" is 5 times higher in the U.S. than in Britain. Church attendance is about 4 times higher in the U.S. than it is in Britain. 1 Similarly, according to one opinion poll, belief that "Human beings developed from earlier species of animals..." is much smaller in the United States (35%) than in other countries (as high as 82%).

This study compared the United States to the countries of Northern Ireland, Philippines, Ireland, Poland, Italy, New Zealand, Austria, Norway, Great Britain, Netherlands, West Germany, Russia, Slovenia, Hungary, and East Germany.

When asked to answer yes or no to, "The Bible is the actual word of God and it is to be taken literally, word for word," the third highest group (in terms of percentage) that answered yes was the United States (33.5%), compared to all the other countries listed above. In comparison, the percentage of Great Britain that answered yes was 7.0%. [3]

The United States ranked the highest for the following questions (compared to all the other countries listed above) [3]:

I definitely believe in "life after death" (55.0%)
I definitely believe in "the Devil." (45.4%)
I definitely believe in "Hell." (49.6%)
I definitely believe in "religious miracles." (45.6%)

In a survey that asked, "In your opinion, how true is this? Human beings developed from earlier species of animals," the percentage of people who answered yes was the lowest in the United States (<35.4%). In comparison, the percentage of Great Britain that answered yes was 76.7%. [3]

A study of mathematics and science literacy of 15-year-olds in developed countries was assessed in 2000. The United States ranked 18th in mathematical literacy, the top 8 mathematically-literate countries being Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Finland, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, respectively. The United States ranked 14th in science literacy, the top 7 scientifically-literate countries being Korea, Japan, Finland, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia, respectively. [4]

The illiterate n00bs of Gaia may also be explained by the population of Americans. The number of Americans compared to non-Americans in ED is about half, while the number of Americans in the Chatterbox are greater than the number of non-Americans [5].

This is likely due to the poor literacy levels of Americans, as shown in a 2000 comparison of reading literacy of 15-year-olds in developed countries. The United States ranked 15th in the combined literacy score, the top 3 countries being Finland, Canada, and New Zealand, respectively. For "retrieving information", the United States ranked 15th, the top 5 countries being Finland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and Korea, respectively. For "interpreting results", the US ranked 15th, the top 2 countries being Finland and Canada, respectively. For "reflecting on texts", the US ranked 11th, the top 4 countries being Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, and Finland, respectively. [6]

This may explain the inability of most EDers to recognize satire (No, this thread isn't a satire thread) or think critically.

We have the best social equality!

Hah!

The top three countries with the greatest income equalities are Slovak Republic, Belarus, and Hungary, respectively. The United States is not even in the top 30. The Gini index (a measure of inequality) of Slovak Republic, the country with the greatest equality, is 19.5; the Gini index of Sierra Leone, the country with the worst equality, is 62.9. The United States has a Gini index of 40.8, where the poorest 20% of its population receive 5.2% of the income and the richest 20% receive 46.4%. [10]

We have the best standard of living!

According to the 2004 UN quality-of-life index, the top 3 countries were Norway, Sweden, and Australia, respectively. The US ranked 8th in quality of life [11]. According to the 2005 Economist quality-of-life index, the USA ranked 13th in quality of life, the top countries being Ireland, Switzerland, and Norway, respectively [14]. The country with the highest life expectancy is Andorra (83.47), and the US is not even in the top 20 [12].

Interestingly, you are more likely to die in the USA compared to many, many countries, among them Canada, Australia, Cuba, North Korea, China, Israel, Iraq, Iran, and Kuwait! [13]

We are the most multicultural country!

The most multicultural country in the world is arguably Canada or Australia.

Then why does everyone want to immigrate to the USA?

Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia have higher immigration rates than the United States. Canada has a net migration rate of 5.96, while the US has a net migration rate of 3.41. [15] (A positive number means people are migrating into the country, while a negative number means people are migrating out of the country.)

WE CAN NUKE YOUR COUNTRY AND DESTROY YOU!!!!!!11

Does the power to destroy people make you the best country? If you use that argument, you are just reinforcing the violent, arrogant, jingoist American stereotype.

There are many more obvious reasons why America is not the best country, but the points I brought up are the non-obvious ones... at least for most Americans.

Obviously, I am not saying all Americans are idiots. I am merely saying that America is not the best country.

References

1. Representative democracy
2. Beliefs of the U.S. Public about Evolution
3. Comparing Christian beliefs in U.S. with those of other countries
4. Mathematics and science literacy average scores of 15-year-olds, buy country: 2000
5. From the USA or not?
6. Combined reading literacy average scores and average subscale scores of 15-year-olds, by country: 2000
7. India
8. Democracy (varieties)
9. Freedom of the Press rating by country
10. Gap Between Rich and Poor: World Income Inequality - Thanks, Aolga
11. UN quality-of-life index, top countries, 2004
12. Countries with the Highest Life Expectancies in the World
13. CIA The World Factbook: Rank Order - Death rate (2005)
14. Economist world-wide quality of life index, 2005
15. Net Migration Rate (Top 25)

More Proof that Too Many Americans are Idiots:

Yeah I think America is the Greatest Country...

America's not the best country? Get real.

Further Reading:

USAmericans aren't all stupid by birth... (come look inside) (Gaia)
World's Greatest Country: Do the Facts Lie? (CounterPunch)

Dangerous Dabbler

9,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
May I please have something clarified by you. Your statement seems to be pushing the idea that America thinks itself is the greatest. Do you believe that is the vast majority of Americans?
Da_Ish
America is not the best country.

No kidding.

...And yes, I'm an American.
Aye. The truth hurts.
Ladykrome
May I please have something clarified by you. Your statement seems to be pushing the idea that America thinks itself is the greatest. Do you believe that is the vast majority of Americans?

Quite ironic that my post came directly after you asked that question.
We are not the best country for any of the reasons you have stated above, we are the best country because we were founded on the only stable platform there ever was, God. For every other country has been built on sinking sand.
Most Americans are aware that their country is not the best.
It just seems to be the dipshits that think it is areoften more publicizied than the ones that seem to be intellectual.
It may not be the best, but you do have to admit, it's better than living in Cambodia, or other periphery countries.
Korie_2
We are not the best country for any of the reasons you have stated above, we are the best country because we were founded on the only stable platform there ever was, God. For every other country has been built on sinking sand.

Oh god, here we go again, bringing religion into it. You are aware you're only helping to prove some of her points, right?

I have the sudden urge to bury my face in my hands, and sob.
Risth
Da_Ish
America is not the best country.

No kidding.

...And yes, I'm an American.

Then this thread isn't direct at you. biggrin
Ladykrome
It's more likely that she doesn't. This seems to me just to be a reply to the few stupid American Gaians to spout that kind of stuff.
Eh, it's ok... All my friends live here.

A lot of it is in the history, and pride in that (yes, I'm aware of the genocide of Native-americans, neutrallity in both world wars ri-i-i-ight up untill the nick of time, and vietnam.)
I stopped taking you seriously once you generalized everyone into one group. If you begin thinking in matters of best vs. worst, then you yourself must have an idea as to what "the best country" is.

Hatred and anger such as yours proves your infantile thinking. You can research and quote all you want, but if it's just to try to make someone else look like an idiot in an unprovoked attack, then it's just plain stupid.

I never attacked you, I never insulted you, I never berated or hurt you before this post. Though I bet you'll quickly say "you're just like the rest of them!" after reading mine.

Isolationism now.

Dangerous Dabbler

9,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Risth
Ladykrome

I suppose so. Though, I in no way enjoy being an american, and for clarification purposes, wouldn't mind having the less intelligent 90% of them removed.
Ladykrome
Risth
Ladykrome

I suppose so. Though, I in no way enjoy being an american, and for clarification purposes, wouldn't mind having the less intelligent 90% of them removed.

I quite agree. If you ever decide to act upon that idea, look me up. I'll gladly support you.
Yes, we are a BIT corrupt here and there but at least it's one of the best system this whole world has got. Imagine if America was like Africa- we're all skinny and our people are dying a lot. You should appreciate America and what this country has given you. If you can't accept it then GO LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE. sad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff