Welcome to Gaia! ::

No one here on earth has the ability to know for certain that there is an afterlife. The farthest humans can get to knowledge of the unknown is belief. Based on their little time on earth, they establish beliefs about what may have happened before birth and what could happen after death. Faith is only, "thinking you know".

There is but one exception to the above. If someone has literally been to an afterlife and came back to this world. As rare as it is, enough people have experianced a death; heart stops, lungs stop, everything stops and they are completely flat-lined. The doctors stop trying to revive the patient and accept the death as it is.

During this time in pretty much all cases, the spirit detaches from the body and is usually greeted by guardian spirits to help them transition over to the other side. They usually feel such peace, love, and joy they couldnt ever describe.

Many have described a dark tunnel and according to scientific studies, people with lack of oxygen to the brain have reported seeing these tunnels as well. I wanted to bring this point up because we all know the mind is capable of very strange things. But to the people who have already died, the feeling of this trip (lack of a better term) is uncomparable to any other dream, pleasurable feeling, holy moment, strong emotion (love), ever.

How could a dead guy, even assuming there is some brain activity leftover, come up with the extremely detailed, complex, accounts of this miraculous place they have visited for it seems like monthes to compare to all the divine knowledge they return with?

And none of them want to return to their bodies. Understandable, life on earth isnt that great. But knowing all the pain they will be causing those who love them and all the grief that needn't be... and the souls of the departed claim to beg with their guardians to stay in their afterlife instead.

I know this really wouldnt be considered proof since they havent brought back any evidence but their memories to share. But of everyone in the world, of all High Priests, religious leaders, prophets, ect. the people who have died and come back to life know more. For they have first hand experiance. They have actually been to the other side, the place others can only dream about. They hold the answer.

* Do you believe people who have died and come back to life were just hallucinating or that their accounts are real?
(I dont call it near-death experiances because the people actually did die)

* Do you believe this is the closest to proof we could ever get of an afterlife?

* Does this give you a reason to believe over religion?

* Have you ever died? neutral
well my personal opon is that there is life affer death, but it really is all in the minds of people to believe it or not. if there is some think for us in the after life, we will never now until we are dead. And i have die, i had no heart beat for over 5 min. but i was to young to remeber it i had a out of body experence.
It is near death and not actual death, otherwise they would not have come back.
Deo_Machina
It is near death and not actual death, otherwise they would not have come back.

Die- stop living or existing; come to an end; lose force or strength.

Death- act of dying; end of life; state of being dead.

Dead- no longer alive, in existence or use; out, as a fire; lacking vigor, movement, or liveliness; numb or unfeeling; dull.

The body does stop living whether or not it comes back to life later. The state of being dead may only last minutes but its still considered a state of being dead. Because dead just means, well, the above.
* Do you believe people who have died and come back to life were just hallucinating or that their accounts are real?

Well you haven't provided any accounts to examine.

* Do you believe this is the closest to proof we could ever get of an afterlife?

I suppose, but memory is a notoriously fallable part of the human mind.

* Does this give you a reason to believe over religion?

Not in the least.

* Have you ever died? icon_neutral.gif

Nope.
There's some sort of chemical that's released into the brain when you die or are about to die that causes these experiences. Let me see if I can find a Wiki article on it...

Near Death Experiences

It's down the page a bit. It's only a theory, but it's definately got more proof than an after-life.
Been there, done that, it's very much overhyped.
My NDE, looked at in detail, was simply a rather convincing halucination. Hardly surprising, since my brain created it for the explicit prupose of convincing me.
I had the stereo-typical out-of-body experience, although I don't recall it progressing as far as the white tunnel or any of that stuff. Certainly no helper spirits, although as I came to, my parents voices were rheavily distorted.
I would have believed that I was 'spiritually seperated from my body', except that, looking back, there were a number of details off. Simply put, the events I remember happening as I watched myself fall didn't happen the way I 'saw'.
But the hallucination was certainly a lot more interesting - and makes a much better story - than seeing a blur of grey cinderblock hurtle past my eyes.
I Do Believe there's an after life because it's in the bible and the bible is god's words so there fore. The Bible is my proof
Thinking scientifically from an unbiased point of view (this is rather difficult for meh), I still doubt that this is what the afterlife is.
Hollywood has probably had too much influence on these people's lives, as media does on all of us.
Who hasn't heard of the dark tunnel or see the clouds that the Gates of Heaven rest upon from a film?
Personally, I think this is an illusion.
An example of this happening elsewhere is in imaginary friends.
Hear meh out, will ya?
A lonely child will seek companionship in his/her mind.
So their mind conjures the image of an "imaginary friend".
And yes, some children actually see these imaginary friends, or rather claim to see.
Anyways, a person in pain (as I imagine pain probably was involved in these types of deaths, assuming these people were in hospitals) may imagine this feeling of peace, love, and joy to ease their pain.
Child + Lonely = Imaginary Friend To Soothe Loneliness
Person + Pain / Dying = Good Feeling To Soothe Pain
See meh point?
I recently wrote and compiled together an indepth article on NDEs/OBEs that referances numerous valid sources backing me up...

(1) Veridical Perception during Near Death Experiences / Out Of Body Experiences during a flat EEG where brain and heart activity have ceased

There are numerous well documented cases of people having near death experiences / out of body experiences during a flat EEG where brain and heart activity have ceased, returning with factual information which they had no prior knowledge of, and numerous cases in which the experiencers returned to life with information unavailable to them at the time of death. These include being able to accurately tell the doctors what they were doing while they were clinically dead, what clothes they wore, and what procedures and instruments they used, including accurate blow by blow accounts of their own resuscitation from a bird's eye point of view, all of which is later verified to be true. Often times they also describe what was happening out in the hallway, who was sitting in the waiting room, and conversations being said at these same locations, all while they were clinically dead elsewhere, all of which is likewise later verified to be true. There are many cases of NDErs being able to accurately perceive objects, people, and situations, and hear conversations said there, far away from their body while clinically dead that are indeed later verified to be true.

There are also accounts of experiencers meeting deceased relatives during an NDE that the person did not yet know was dead, such as a relative or a friend, and finding out that they were in fact deceased after the fact, and learning information from them that they could not have otherwise known. There are many accounts of children NDErs learning about relatives and siblings who had died before their own birth that they never met or were never told about, etc. People who have been blind since birth being able to accurately perceive visual surroundings during their experience. Being informed of knowledge far beyond their personal capacity. Etc.

The most convincing aspect of these, is that many of them were recounted, recorded, and documented IMMEDIATELY after the patient regained consciousness to the doctors, nurses, staff, and family members, not long after the fact.

Interestingly, there have in fact been successful Experiments in actually testing Veridical NDEs...

* Many doctors, nurses, medical staff, paramedics, and family members have been interviewed by NDE Researchers to obtain cross-referanced verifiable information between the stories of the patients concerning their Veridical NDEs and the cross-referanced experiences of the medical staff involved with them.

* Dr. Michael Sabom did a study on over 57 cardiac patients who had clinically died and were brought back, 32 of whom had experienced Veridical OBEs and had described in great detail their own resusitations during cardiac arrest, and 25 of whom had not experienced an OBE during their cardiac arrest. He had two groups, the experiencers who saw in their OBEs and the non-experiencers who did not, describe their resusitations. To his suprise, 80% of the non-experiencers misdescribed the procedures. On the other hand, all of the experiencers did not make a single mistake.

* Dr. Kenneth Ring did a study on Veridical NDEs of 31 persons who were born blind and found that they could veridically "see" events while their OBE unfolded the same way sighted people's do. His book is called "Mind Sight".

I highly recommend watching the BBC Documentary on NDEs titled "The Day I Died"...

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...90757&q=nde - The Day I Died (BBC Video Documentary on NDEs)

"In the fall of 2003, The Learning Channel aired a non-copyright brand new British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) production about NDEs ... entitled The Day I Died. IANDS Board members were immediately and powerfully impressed with the quality of the 45-minute program. It showed two in-depth case studies of NDErs—one in the U.K., the other in the U.S.; depicted the two most recent prospective NDE research studies—one in the U.K., the other in the Netherlands; interviewed the most outstanding NDE researchers worldwide; presented both skeptical and "believer" perspectives; and reenacted the most compelling case of veridical (verifiably accurate) perception in an NDE during radical surgery for a brain aneurysm. The production was completely up-to-date and covered virtually everything an inquiring mind needed for an informed and balanced introduction to the phenomenon of NDEs. In short, most, if not all, Board members considered it the best NDE production made to date—very close to 'the ultimate NDE video'."

What do the Skeptics on the otherhand have to say about NDEs? Let's be fair now.

Skeptic Argument # 1: Dying Brain Theory When dealing with Near Death Experiences, most Skeptics will focus on the flawed "Dying Brain Theory" (which was dreamed up by a psychologist with no medical degrees and no medical credibility named Susan Blackmore) in order to explain the phenomenon, which states that upon clinical death the brain is slowly straved of oxygen and creates a vivid hallucination that is later remembered as an NDE. This theory in truth falls very short of the cold hard medical facts of what happens to the brain after cardiac arrest occurs and when clinical death sets in, and is likewise destroyed by the well documented Veridical Aspects of the NDE Phenomenon itself that the Skeptics never adaquetely deal with.

The same Skeptics who advocate the "Dying Brain Theory" will ignore conflicting facts and data of a Medical and Veridical NDE Nature that do not fit into their hasty skeptical conclusions. It should come as no suprise that most high profile Skeptics of NDEs are stage magicians or psychologists with no medical degrees and no medical credibility, whereas the leading figures in the Pro-NDE Field *ARE* highly credible Medicial Doctors who have worked in their medical fields for years. Most of whom have likewise worked first-hand with dying patients for years, another thing the Skeptics have not.

In total refution of the "Dying Brain Theory" the cold hard medical facts are that when a person's heart stops they lose total consciousness within seconds. The loss of consciousness is complete and there are no memories of the event. EEG and brain stem monitors show no brain activity while in this state. There is no gag reflex, no pupil response, no brain activity whatsoever. They are dead. The brain cannot produce images in this state, and even if it could, you couldn't remember them.

Multiple medical doctors including Peter Fenwick a respected neuropsychiatrist, Pim Van Lommel a cardiologist, Sam Parnia, Bruce Greyson, Ian Stevenson, Melvin Morse, Michael Sabom, and numerous others, will tell you the same thing.

"Simultaneous recording of heart rate and brain output show that within 11 seconds of the heart stopping, the brainwaves go flat. Now, if you read the literature on this, some skeptical people claim that in this state there is still brain activity, but, in fact, the data are against this in both animals and humans. The brain is not functioning, and you are not going to get your electrical activity back again until the heart restarts." (Dr. Peter Fenwick)

"In the NDE, you are unconscious. One of the things we know about brain function in unconsciousness, is that you cannot create images and if you do, you cannot remember them ... The brain isn't functioning. It's not there. It's destroyed. It's abnormal. But, yet, it can produce these very clear experiences [NDEs] ... an unconscious state is when the brain ceases to function. For example, if you faint, you fall to the floor, you don't know what's happening and the brain isn't working. The memory systems are particularly sensitive to unconsciousness. So, you won't remember anything. But, yet, after one of these experiences [NDEs], you come out with clear, lucid memories ... This is a real puzzle for science. I have not yet seen any good scientific explanation which can explain that fact." (Dr. Peter Fenwick)

Dr. Parnia: "During cardiac arrest brainstem activity is rapidly lost. It should not be able to sustain such lucid processes or allow the formation of lasting memories."

Pim Van Lommel's well-known research study published in The Lancet, a leading medical journal, also notes that cerebral activity flatlines within 4 to 20 seconds of cardiac arrest.

As cardiologist Dr. Pim Van Lommel remarked in his well known research article in The Lancet medical journal...

"How could a clear consciousness outside one's body be experienced at the moment that the brain no longer functions during a period of clinical death with flat EEG? . . . Furthermore, blind people have described veridical perception during out-of-body experiences at the time of this experience. NDE pushes at the limits of medical ideas about the range of human consciousness and the mind-brain relation. There is a theory that consciousness can be experienced independently from the normal body-linked waking consciousness. The current concept in medical science, however, states that consciousness is the product of the brain. Could the brain be a kind of receiver for consciousness and memories, functioning like a TV, radio or a mobile telephone? What you receive is not generated by the receiver, but rather electromagnetic informational waves (photons) that are always around you and are made visible or audible to you by the brain and your sense organs. In our prospective study of patients that were clinically dead (flat EEG, showing no electrical activity in the cortex, and loss of brain stem function evidenced by fixed dilated pupils and absence of the gag reflex), the patients report a clear consciousness, in which cognitive functioning, emotion, sense of identity, or memory from early childhood occurred, as well as perceptions from a position out and above their "dead" body."

Van Lommel, Van Wees, Meyers, Elfferich (2001). Near-Death Experience in Survivors of Cardiac Arrest: A Prospective Study in the Netherlands. Lancet.

http://profezie3m.altervista.org/archivio/TheLancet_NDE.htm

"About the Continuity of Our Consciousness" by Pim von Lommel

http://iands.org/research/vanLommel/vanLommel.php

The Dutch Study - http://www.mikepettigrew.com/afterlife/html/dutch_study.html

http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/whoswho/vanLommel.htm - A great response by Pim Van Lommel against a Leading Skeptic regarding his research study.

The Dying Brain Theory also doesn't explain why only 18% of those who are brought back from clinical death experience an NDE, while the remaining 82% do not.

"Our most striking finding was that Near-Death Experiences do not have a physical or medical root. After all, 100 per cent of the patients suffered a shortage of oxygen, 100 per cent were given morphine-like medications, 100 per cent were victims of severe stress, so those are plainly not the reasons why 18 per cent had Near-Death Experiences and 82 per cent didn't. If they had been triggered by any one of those things, everyone would have had Near-Death Experiences." (Van Lommel 1995)

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/articles001.html - A Critique of Susan Blackmore's Dying Brain Hypothesis by Greg Stone (A complete and total rebuttal of the "Dying Brain Theory" wink

Skeptic Argument # 2: Ketamine The Skeptic Sources refering to the Drug Ketamine causing NDEs are referancing an old paper by Ketamine Researcher Dr. Karl Jansen, who has since totally changed his stance on Ketamine actually causing the experiences, and is now a believer in the metaphysical component of NDEs (primarily due to the Veridical Perception that occurs during NDEs/OBEs, and the coherent structure and higher knowledge beyond the individual's capacity being imparted during NDEs), and that Ketamine and other triggers of NDEs/OBEs simply in his current hypothesis act as a "door to a space" rather than actually producing that space. He states that his findings now are more in line with other researchers in his field such as John Lilly and Stanislav Grof.

Quote:

"Dr. Jansen has the following to say about the journal article that follows:

'I am no longer as opposed to spritual explanations of these phenomena as this article would appear to suggest. Over the past two years (it is quite some time since I wrote it) I have moved more towards the views put forward by John Lilly and Stan Grof. Namely, that drugs and psychological disciplines such as meditation and yoga may render certain 'states' more accessible. The complication then becomes in defining just what we mean by 'states' and where they are located, if indeed location is an appropriate term at all. But the apparent emphasis on matter over mind contained within this particular article no longer accurately represents my attitudes. My forthcoming book 'Ketamine' will consider mystical issues from quite a different perspective, and will give a much stronger voice to those who see drugs as just another door to a space, and not as actually producing that space'."

Dr. Karl Jansen, Journal of Near Death Studies

Skeptic Argument # 3 The Navy Airmen Stress Tests These are studies where they used Navy Airmen in G-Force stress tests that caused the blood in the heads of the individuals to drain, inducing a state of simulated clinical death, in which NDEs were reported. These do not conflict with the NDE Phenomenon, as the persons were essentially put into a state of simulated clinical death when the blood drained from their heads, and they had an NDE. Again, like Pim Van Lommel's findings, it only occured in 18% of individuals who underwent and came back from this state of simulated clinical death.

Most importantly though are the Veridical Aspects of NDEs that Skeptics do not adaquetely deal with.

As a favorite Blogger of mine, Suspense Author Michael Prescott, points out in one of his Blog Posts about the Skeptics of NDEs and Veridical Perception during NDEs...

"Anyone who has seriously studied NDEs knows that the hypothesis of "hallucinations" does not begin to cover all the known (and well-documented) facts. Many NDEs involve out-of-body experiences in which the person observes what is going on in the operating room or hospital while he is clinically dead. These people report the details of the procedures that were followed and any mishaps that occurred - details that can be checked and confirmed by reviewing the record and interviewing the doctors, nurses, and paramedics. The most famous case of this type is the well-known "Pam Reynolds" case, but there are many others. Any serious book on NDEs - such as those by Kenneth Ring, Michael Sabom, and Melvin Morse - will include numerous examples.

To dismiss NDEs as hallucinations is simply to admit that one has not studied the subject in any depth. This is, unfortunately, typical of many skeptics, who begin with the assumption that paranormal experiences are impossible and then latch on to any plausible-sounding explanation, without doing the necessary homework.

Again, this explanation does not address the veridical perceptions reported by near-death experiencers while they were clinically dead - the fact that they can perceive what is going on around them, even when they are unconscious, with no measurable heart or brain activity. There is no doubt that certain 'aspects' of NDEs can be reproduced in the laboratory by various means, but the total experience has never been reproduced on demand." - (Michael Prescott)

(2) OBE Specific Research

* The Monroe Institute's OBE Experiments, Charles Tart's OBE Experiments of having an experienced OBEr accurately read a five-digit number from an unreachable/unseeable location, Robert Morris' OBE Experiments with Keith Harry who reported accurately on sitters, letters, and positions, in a sealed labrotory 20 yards away, several OBE Experiments where they used Infra-Red Lights to detect any subtle movement in an OBE projected area, the US Government's 20 year long OBE Program "Remote Viewing" which had amazing positive veridical results with OBErs.

Indepth Research Results of the US Government's 20 Year Veridical OBE Program "Remote Viewing", official CIA released documents ...

http://www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pages/CIA-InitiatedRV.html

Further Sources:

"Autoscopic Evidence: Dr. Charles Tart's Out-of-Body Experience Research"

http://www.near-death.com/tart.html

"Psychophysiological Study of Out-of-the-Body Experiences in a Selected Subject"

http://web.archive.org/web/20060215224439/...cles2.cfm?ID=31

Further Links:

http://www.near-death.com/evidence.html - 53 Items of Evidence for Survival Of Consciousness

The "Dying Brain Theory" of Skeptics has Severe Problems
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/articles001.html

"People See Verified Events While Out-Of-Body"
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence02.html

"People Born Blind Can See During a NDE", Dr. Kenneth Ring's NDE Research of the Blind. http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence03.html

Pam Reynold's NDE: (The Strongest Case of Veridical Evidence)
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence01.html

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...90757&q=nde - The Day I Died (BBC Video Documentary on NDEs)

http://www.geocities.com/wwu777us/Debunkin...l_Arguments.htm - Debunking Pseudo-Skeptical Arguments of Paranormal Debunkers

End Note:

It's clearly not an open-shut case like close-minded pseudo-skeptics always claim it is without doing their necessary homework.
Kalil Chernov
Been there, done that, it's very much overhyped.
My NDE, looked at in detail, was simply a rather convincing halucination. Hardly surprising, since my brain created it for the explicit prupose of convincing me.
I had the stereo-typical out-of-body experience, although I don't recall it progressing as far as the white tunnel or any of that stuff. Certainly no helper spirits, although as I came to, my parents voices were rheavily distorted.
I would have believed that I was 'spiritually seperated from my body', except that, looking back, there were a number of details off. Simply put, the events I remember happening as I watched myself fall didn't happen the way I 'saw'.
But the hallucination was certainly a lot more interesting - and makes a much better story - than seeing a blur of grey cinderblock hurtle past my eyes.

Sounds like you were actually "near death" (where there still was brain activity) and not in an actual state of clinical death (flat EEG) and truely did experience a hallucination then. The differance between True NDEs/OBEs and Hallucination driven "OBEs" is that True NDEs/OBEs typically occur when the patient is clinically dead with their EEG flat-lined and have Accurate Veridical Perception that is later verified to have actually happened. (Although True NDEs/OBEs have also occured during deep comas where the person is absent from their body during the coma and Veridically Perceives events going on elsewhere during this time, and OBEs specifically can also occur when there is no harm to the individual, depending upon the trigger, such as "Astral Projection".)

For an example of an "NDE" in your case, Susan Blackmore had an "NDE" that was simply a drug induced "OBE" that did not have Veridical Perception (certain things were wrong or off). Yet, people who experience clinical death under flat EEG have deeply coherent OBE experiences where Veridical Perception is accurate, even far away from their physical bodies. And many of them meet deceased relatives they either didn't know were dead or had never met before or were never told about, and learn about family secrets (siblings who died before their birth, etc).

That there are many documented cases of persons BORN BLIND experiencing Veridical Perception during NDEs/OBEs screams that it is definately something more than a "hallucination". (Their brains couldn't have formed visions they never had seen.)

Some examples of True NDEs/OBEs where Veridical Perception is deeply coherent and accurate...

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research11.html - The NDE and Out-of-Body, Kevin Williams' research conclusions

Dr. Kenneth Ring: In a paper published in the Journal of Near-Death Studies concerning veridical NDE evidence, Dr. Ken Ring included perhaps the most famous case of veridical observation in NDE research at that time. Kimberly Clark Sharp first documented the NDE of a woman named Maria in her book, After The Light. Maria was a migrant worker who, while visiting friends in Seattle, had a severe heart attack. She was rushed to Harborview Hospital and placed in the coronary care unit. A few days later, she had a cardiac arrest and an unusual out-of-body experience. At one point in this experience, she found herself outside the hospital and spotted a single tennis shoe on the ledge of the north side of the third floor of the building. Maria not only was able to indicate the whereabouts of this oddly situated object, but was able to provide precise details concerning its appearance, such as that its little toe area was worn and one of its laces was stuck underneath its heel. Upon hearing Maria's story, Clark, with some considerable degree of skepticism and metaphysical misgiving, went to the location described to see whether any such shoe could be found. Indeed it was, just where and precisely as Maria had described it, except that from the window through which Clark was able to see it, the details of its appearance that Maria had specified could not be discerned. Clark concluded:

The only way she could have had such a perspective was if she had been floating right outside and at very close range to the tennis shoe. I retrieved the shoe and brought it back to Maria; it was very concrete evidence for me. (Clark, 1984, p. 243).

Dr. Kenneth Ring: A study on veridical perception in NDEs was conducted by Dr. Ken Ring and Madeline Lawrence. It included the 1985 account of Kathy Milne who was working as a nurse at Hartford Hospital. Milne had already been interested in NDEs, and one day found herself talking to a woman who had been resuscitated and who had a NDE. Following a telephone interview with Ken Ring on August 24, 1992, she described the following account in a letter:

She told me how she floated up over her body, viewed the resuscitation effort for a short time and then felt herself being pulled up through several floors of the hospital. She then found herself above the roof and realized she was looking at the skyline of Hartford. She marveled at how interesting this view was and out of the corner of her eye she saw a red object. It turned out to be a shoe ... he thought about the shoe... and suddenly, she felt "sucked up" a blackened hole. The rest of her NDE account was fairly typical, as I remember.

I was relating this to a [skeptical] resident who in a mocking manner left. Apparently, he got a janitor to get him onto the roof. When I saw him later than day, he had a red shoe and he became a believer, too." (K. Milne, personal communication, October 19,1992)

After Dr. Ring's initial interview with Milne, he made a point of inquiring whether she had ever heard of the case of Maria's shoe [as described in the introduction above]. Not only was she unfamiliar with it, but she was utterly amazed to hear of another story so similar to the one she had just recounted to Dr. Ring. It remains an unanswered question as to how these isolated shoes arrived at their unlikely perches for later viewing by astonished NDErs and their baffled investigators.

Joyce Harmon: In the summer of 1982, Joyce Harmon, a surgical intensive care unit (ICU) nurse at Hartford Hospital, returned to work after a vacation. On that vacation she had purchased a new pair of plaid shoelaces, which she happened to be wearing on her first day back at the hospital. That day, she was involved in resuscitating a patient, a woman she didn't know, by giving her medicine. The resuscitation was successful and the next day Harmon chanced to see the patient, whereupon they had a conversation, the gist of which (not necessarily a verbatim account) is as follows:

The patient, upon seeing Harmon, volunteered, "Oh, you're the one with the plaid shoelaces!"

"What?" Harmon replied, astonished. She says she distinctly remembers feeling the hair on her neck rise.

"I saw them," the woman continued. "I was watching what was happening yesterday when I died. I was up above." (J. Harmon, personal communication, August 28, 1992)

Sue Saunders: In the late 1970s, Sue Saunders was working at Hartford Hospital as a respiratory therapist. One day she was helping to resuscitate a 60-ish man in the emergency room whose electrocardiogram had gone flat. Medics were shocking him repeatedly with no results. Saunders was trying to give him oxygen. In the middle of the resuscitation, someone else took over for her and she left. A couple of days later, she encountered this patient in the ICU. He spontaneously commented:

"You looked so much better in your yellow top."

She, like Harmon, was so shocked at this remark that she got goose-bumps, for she had been wearing a yellow smock the previous day.

"Yeah," the man continued, "I saw you. You had something over your face and you were pushing air into me. And I saw your yellow smock." (S. Saunders, personal communication, August 28, 1992)

Saunders confirmed that she had had something over her face - a mask - and that she had worn the yellow smock while trying to give him oxygen, while he was unconscious and without a heartbeat.

The three cases presented above briefly attest to these three important observations:

(1) Patients who claim to have out-of-body experiences while near-death sometimes describe unusual objects that they could not have known about by normal means.

(2) These objects can later be shown to have existed in the form and location indicated by the patients' testimony.

(3) Hearing this testimony has a strong emotional and cognitive effect on the caregivers involved, either strengthening their pre-existing belief in the authenticity of NDE accounts or occasioning a kind of on-the-spot conversion.

Source: Ring, Kenneth, Ph.d. & Lawrence, Madeline, R.N., Ph.D. "Further evidence for veridical perception during near-death experiences", Journal of Near-Death Studies, 1993 11 (4)223-229

Here are just some of the well known Veridical NDE/OBE Cases by the way...

* Pam Reynold's body temperature was lowered to 58 degrees and her heart stopped so surgery could be done on a brain aneurism. All the blood was drained from the patient's body effectively bringing her body into clinical death. At which point she left her body, looked down upon it, and observed the instruments being used in the operation. When she was revived, more than an hour later, she described the instruments used, and the surgery in detail. The surgeon was amazed, but believed her due to the accurate account she gave. She was certain the experience was real and spiritual. She had the experience independent of her clinically dead body. Her brain showed no activity on the EEG, nor any brain stem activity. She had been clinically dead for almost two hours. Pam Reynolds also saw a cousin during her NDE experience who she did not know was deceased at the time.

During "standstill", Pam Renold's brain was found "dead" by all three clinical tests - her electroencephalogram was silent, her brain-stem response was absent, and no blood flowed through her brain. Interestingly, while in this state, she encountered the "deepest" NDE of all Atlanta Study participants.

According to Pam, she was present, above her body, viewing the whole surgical operation, her consciousness, memory, personality; her whole individuality intact. She proved this with an accurate, detailed description of the instruments, conversation, and procedures used during the surgery. At the same time science, using scientific monitoring instruments, was proving that her body was dead. No brain response, no heart response, no response of any kind. Obviously, the brain nor any other organ of the body was needed to sustain her life, and this account is just one example of the hundreds that exist in the NDE literature.

* Professor Kimberly Clark of the University of Washington reported a case, now internationally known, where a woman patient who was suffering from cardiac arrest in hospital had an OBE. Her duplicate, invisible body went for an astral journey on the higher floors of the hospital ending up in a storeroom she obviously had never been into before. She saw an old tennis shoe on top of the lockers. Returning to her body and on coming into consciousness related the information to the Professor. Stunned by the information the Professor set out to check her story. Everything to the very last detail was confirmed, even the tennis shoe's manufacturer.

Talbot describes this incident in The Holographic Universe: (page 231-232)

Such facts notwithstanding, no amount of statistical findings are as convincing as actual accounts of such experiences. For example, Kimberly Clark, a hospital social worker in Seattle, Washington, did not take OBEs seriously until she encountered a coronary patient named Maria. Several days after being admitted to the hospital Maria had a cardiac arrest and was quickly revived. Clark visited her later that afternoon expecting to find her anxious over the fact that her heart had stopped. As she had expected, Maria was agitated, but not for the reason she had anticipated.

Maria told Clark that she had experienced something very strange. After her heart had stopped she suddenly found herself looking down from the ceiling and watching the doctors and the nurses working on her. Then something over the emergency room driveway distracted her and as soon as she "thought herself" there, she was there. Next Maria "thought her way" up to the third floor of the building and found herself "eyeball to shoelace" with a tennis shoe. It was an old shoe and she noticed that the little toe had worn a whole through the fabric. She also noticed several other details, such as the fact that the lace was stuck under the heel. After Maria finished her account she begged Clark to please go to the ledge and see if there was a shoe there so that she could confirm whether her experience was real or not.

Skeptical but intrigued, Clark went outside and looked up at the ledge, but saw nothing. She went up to the third floor and began going in and out of pateients' rooms looking through windows so narrow she had to press her face against the glass just to see the ledge at all. Finally she found a room where she pressed her face against the glass and looked down and saw the tennis shoe. Still, from her vantage point she could not tell if the little toe had worn a place in the shoe or if any of the other details Maria had described were correct. It wasn't until she retrieved the shoe that she confirmed Maria's various observations. "The only way she would have had such a perspective was if she had been floating right outside and at very close range to the tennis shoe," states Clark, who has since become a believer in OBEs. "It was very concrete evidence for me."

Bruce Greyson and C. P. Flynn, The Near Death Experience (Chicago: Charles C. Thomas, 1984), as quoted in Stanislov Grof, The Adventure of Self Discovery (Albany, N.T.: SUNY Press, 198 cool , pp. 71-72.

In addition, research studies back up these claims as well. One example is the experiment done by Cardiologist Michael Sabom. Talbot describes this as well: (page 232-233)

Experiencing an OBE during cardiac arrest is relatively common, so common that Michael B. Sabom, a cardiologist and professor of medicine at Emory University and a staff physician at the Atlanta Veterans' Administration Medical Center, got tired of hearing his patients recount such "fantasies" and decided to settle the matter once and for all. Sabom selected two groups of patients, one composed of 32 seasoned cardiac patients who had reported OBEs during their heart attacks, and one made up of 25 seasoned cardiac patients who had never experienced an OBE. He then interviewed the patients, asking the OBEers to describe their own resuscitation as they had witnessed it from the out-of-body state, and asking the nonexperiencers to describe what they imagined must have transpired during their resuscitation.

Of the nonexperiencers, 20 made major mistakes when they described their resuscitations, 3 gave correct but general descriptions, and 2 had no idea at all what had taken place. Among the experiencers, 26 gave correct but general descriptions, 6 gave highly detailed and accurate descriptions of their own resuscitation, and 1 gave a blow-by-blow accounting so accurate that Sabom was stunned. The results inspired him to delve even deeper into the phenomenon, and like Clark, he has now become an ardent believer and lectures widely on the subject. There appears "to be no plausible explanation for the accuracy of these observations involving the usual physical senses," he says. "The out-of-body hypothesis simply seems to fit best with the data at hand... (Footnote 9)

Michael B. Sabom, Recollections of Death (New York: Harper & Row, 1982), p. 184.

* Sir Oliver Oyston, a most distinguished British soldier recorded an OBE when he was very sick in hospital with typhoid during the Boer War. Sir Oliver's astral body fully conscious of the surroundings, floated and went through walls noticing particularly one young 'surgeon undergoing death agonies from typhoid.' The next day, fully recovered, Sir Oliver told the medical staff in detail what happened. The medical staff later confirmed everything Sir Oliver had stated to them.

* Dr Elisabeth Kubler-Ross stated that in her research that she came across instances where a blind patient was able to see certain events during an OBE which were later confirmed (Kubler-Ross 1997:175).

Melvin Morse and Children's NDEs:

"In 1982, while a Fellow for the National Cancer Institute, Dr. Morse was working in a clinic in Pocatello, Idaho. He was called to revive a young girl who nearly died in a community swimming pool. She had had no heart beat for 19 minutes, yet completely recovered. She was able to recount many details of her own resuscitation, and then said that she was taken down a brick lined tunnel to a heavenly place. When Dr. Morse showed his obvious skepticism, she patted him shyly on the hand and said: "Don't worry, Dr. Morse, heaven is fun!."

She also drew a picture of her experience. We see in this picture the "two realities" often described by those who have near death experiences. Above the blue line is "heaven". Below the blue line is a "hole in the world" that opened up to show to this girl her yet unborn brother. She was told that she had to return to "help my mother because my baby brother was going to have some problems". She does not say in words what the problem was, but draws a large heart in the boy's chest. He was born with severe heart problems, several months after this picture was drawn."

NDEs of those Blind since Birth...

"Dr. Kenneth Ring and Sharon Cooper completed a two-year study into the NDEs of the blind. They published their findings in a book entitled "Mindsight" in which they documented the solid evidence of 31 cases in which blind people report visually accurate information obtained during an NDE. Perhaps the best example in his study is that of a forty-five year old blind woman by the name of Vicki Umipeg. Vicki was born blind, her optic nerve having been completely destroyed at birth because of an excess of oxygen she received in the incubator. Yet, she appears to have been able to see during her NDE. Her story is a particularly clear instance of how NDEs of the congenitally blind can unfold in precisely the same way as do those of sighted persons."

The following are some examples of Veridical NDEs documented by Moody:

Example 1: An elderly woman had been blind since childhood. But, during her NDE, the woman had regained her sight and she was able to accurately describe the instruments and techniques used during the resuscitation her body. After the woman was revived, she reported the details to her doctor. She was able to tell her doctor who came in and out, what they said, what they wore, what they did, all of which was true. Her doctor then referred the woman to Moody who he knew was doing research at the time on NDEs.

Example 2: One patient told Moody, ..After it was all over the doctor told me that I had a really bad time, and I said, ..Yeah, I know... He said, ..Well, how do you know?.. and I said, ..I can tell you everything that happened... He didn't believe me, so I told him the whole story, from the time I stopped breathing until the time I was kind of coming around. He was really shocked to know that I knew everything that had happened. He didn't know quite what to say, but he came in several times to ask me different things about it.

Example 3: In another instance a woman with a heart condition was dying at the same time that her sister was in a diabetic coma in another part of the same hospital. The subject reported having a conversation with her sister as both of them hovered near the ceiling watching the medical team work on her body below. When the woman awoke, she told the doctor that her sister had died while her own resuscitation was taking place. The doctor denied it, but when she insisted, he had a nurse check on it. The sister had, in fact, died during the time in question.

Example 4: A dying girl left her body and into another room in the hospital where she found her older sister crying and saying:

"Oh, Kathy, please don't die, please don't die."

The older sister was quite baffled when, later, Kathy told her exactly where she had been and what she had been saying during this time.

When I woke up after the accident, my father was there, and I didn't even want to know what sort of shape I was in, or how I was, or how the doctors thought I would be. All I wanted to talk about was the experience I had been through. I told my father who had dragged my body out of the building, and even what color clothes that person had on, and how they got me out, and even about all the conversation that had been going on in the area.

And my father said, "Well, yes, these things were true."

Yet, my body was physically out this whole time, and there was no way I could have seen or heard these things without being outside of my body.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/animals02.html - Lynn's NDE

The last thing I remember in surgery was a male voice saying in a very matter-of-fact way, "Uh-oh, we have a problem here."

The next thing I knew I was floating around the ceiling looking down on my body. My chest was open wide and I could see my internal organs. I remember thinking how odd it was that my organs were a beautiful pearl gray, not at all like the bright red chucks in the horror flicks I loved to watch. I also noticed there was a black doctor and an Oriental one on the operating team. The reason this stuck in my mind is that I was brought up in a very white middle-class neighborhood, and I had seen black schoolteachers but never a black doctor. I'd met the operating team the day before, but they were all white.

Suddenly, I had to move on, so I floated into the waiting room, where my parents were. My father had his head buried in my mother's lap. He was kneeling at her feet, his arms wrapped around her waist, and he was sobbing. My mother was stroking his head, whispering to him. This scene shocked me, as my father was not prone to showing emotions. Once I realize they would be fine, I felt myself pulled into a horizontal tunnel.

The ride through the tunnel was like nothing else. I remember thinking, "So this is death."

The tunnel was dark, and every once in a while something that looking like lightning would flash across my path. These flashes were brilliant in color and didn't scare me. At the end of the tunnel was a bright light.

From the light came two dogs of mine. One was a collie named Mimi who had died three years previously from an infection, and the other was a box named Sam who had died two years before after being hit by a car. The dogs came running and jumped on me and kissed my face with their tongues. Their tongues weren't wet, and I felt no weight when they jumped on me. The dogs seemed to glow from a light that was inside them.

I recall saying to myself, "Thank you, God, for letting my dogs be alive."

I hugged my dogs as tight as I could.

I then called my dogs and together we started walking toward the light. All colors were in the light and it was warm, a living thing, and there were people as far as the eye could see, and they were glowing with an inner light - just like my dogs. In the distance I could see fields, hills, and a sky.

The light spoke and it said, "Lynn, it is not time for you yet. Go back, child."

I put my hand up to touch the top of the light. I knew then that I had touched the face of God. I told God that I loved him, and I wanted to stay with him.

Again the light said, "Lynn, go back. It is not time for you. You have work to do for me. Go back."

I know this sounds silly, but I asked the light, "If I go, can I come back and will my dogs still be here waiting for me?"

The light said yes, and then told me there were people who wanted to see me before I left. From out of the light came my maternal grandparents. I ran to them and embraced them. They were going to walk me part of the way back. Just as I was turning to leave, a man stepped from the light. He wore a full dress uniform, U.S. Navy. He was very tall and very blond, with blue eyes. I had never seen the man before, but he knew me and smiled.

"I am your uncle Franklin. Tell Dorothy that I'm okay and that the baby is with me. Tell her I never stopped loving her and that I am glad she got on with her life. Tell her that when her time comes, I will come for her. Remember to tell her I love her."

As I turned, the man shouted, "Tell Dorothy, tell her you met Franklin and I'm okay and so is the baby."

My grandparents told me if I stayed any longer I might not make it back. But I wanted to talk with Jesus. I had a very important question to ask him. A beam of light, different from yet similar to the first one, covered me. I knew this light was Christ. I leaned against it for one moment and then asked my question.

"Dear Jesus, is it true that you gave me this heart condition so that I would have a cross to carry like you did?"

(Sister Agnes, my sixth-grade teacher, had told me that my heart condition was my cross to bear from Christ.)

I heard the voice of Christ vibrate through me as he said, "No, this heart condition of yours is not a cross from me for you to bear. This heart condition is a challenge to help you grow and stay compassionate. Now, go back."

As I walked back, my grandmother told me that my father was going to leave my mother and that I would be my mother's strength. I saw people hiding in the tunnel, people who were afraid to come into the light or who were disoriented about where they were. I expressed concern for them but was told not to worry, as a guide would be along to help them. Some of these people looked like soldiers. Then I remembered Vietnam and I knew where the soldiers were coming from."

[Webmaster's note: In PMH Atwater's book, she documents how the revelations Lynn received in her near-death experience were later proven to be true, such as the black and Asian doctors, her uncle Franklin and the baby, and her father leaving the family.]
PhoenixOwl
There's some sort of chemical that's released into the brain when you die or are about to die that causes these experiences. Let me see if I can find a Wiki article on it...

Near Death Experiences

It's down the page a bit. It's only a theory, but it's definately got more proof than an after-life.

Nice how that article above also states the following information, which summerizes alot of what I presented in my above indepth posts...

As an afterlife experience

Some see the NDE as an afterlife experience. They believe that the NDE cannot be completely explained by physiological or psychological causes, and that consciousness can function independently of brain activity (Rivas, 2003).

Many NDE-accounts seem to include elements which, according to several theorists, can only be explained by an out-of-body consciousness. For example, in one account, a woman accurately described a surgical instrument she had not seen previously, as well as a conversation that occurred while she was understood to be clinically dead (Sabom, 199 cool . In another account, from a proactive Dutch NDE study [1], a nurse removed the dentures of an unconscious heart attack victim, and was asked by him after his recovery to return them. It might be difficult to explain in conventional terms how an unconscious patient could later have recognized the nurse (van Lommel et.al, 2001).

Dr. Michael Sabom reports a case about a woman who underwent surgery for an aneurysm. While blood was drained from her brain and her temperature lowered, the woman nonetheless reported an out-of-body experience despite absence of EEG activity. This would seem to challenge the belief by many that consciousness is situated entirely within the brain (Sabom, 199 cool .

A majority of individuals who experience an NDE see it as a verification of the existence of an afterlife (Kelly, 2001). This includes those with agnostic/atheist inclinations before the experience. Many former atheists, such as the Reverend Howard Storm (Rodrigues, 2004) [2] have adopted a more spiritual view after their NDEs. Howard Storm's NDE might also be characterized as a distressing near-death experience. The distressing aspects of some NDE's are discussed more closely by Greyson & Bush (1992).

As Greyson notes: "No one physiological or psychological model by itself explains all the common features of NDE. The paradoxical occurrence of heightened, lucid awareness and logical thought processes during a period of impaired cerebral perfusion raises particular perplexing questions for our current understanding of consciousness and its relation to brain function. A clear sensorium and complex perceptual processes during a period of apparent clinical death challenge the concept that consciousness is localized exclusively in the brain." (Greyson, 2001)

Research on NDEs occurring in the blind have also hinted that consciousness survives bodily death. Dr. Kenneth Ring notes in the book "Mindsight: Near-Death and Out-of-Body Experiences in the Blind" that up to 80% of his sample studied reported some visual awareness during their NDE or out of body experience (Ring, Cooper, 1999).

In infrequent instances there is ambiguity between medical and spiritual facts. There exist reports about connections between deceased persons and persons who have had an NDE. Ken Mullens (1992;1995), who was clinically dead for more than 20 minutes, reported spiritual encounters in his life after his NDE. As he reported, deceased persons he communicated with were often unknown to him, but were connected to people he met at a later point. While such reports are discredited by skeptics, they remain a mystery. Since they have no apparent medical or physical explanation they are said to belong to the interpretative and phenomenological dimension of the NDE, as investigated by the field of Near-death studies.

NDE's can also lead to long-lasting spiritual effects (as evidenced by the many studies which confirm the experience as having taken place during clinical death). The mathematician John Wren-Lewis (1985), after his NDE, felt himself in a more or less permanent state of equanimity, feeling contact with the void and with no separate existence from the whole.

Wheezing Gekko

Eteponge, you seriously write too ******** much.
Vryko Lakas
Eteponge, you seriously write too ******** much.

Your signature does me justice. X3
You do indeed write too much, Eteponge, so rather than address your posts point by point, I want to make a couple of broad counter-points.
First: "You probably didn't have a true NDE" is a horrendously bad statement to make. Most of psuedo-science, from alien abductions to OBEs to crop circles, depends on the false premise that all examples must be disproven. The entire psuedo-scientific community will laud an example for years, and then, if/when it's disproven, will claim 'well, that one was fake, but what about *this* one?' This is a type of Burden of Proof fallacy.
Second, in response to a few of your specific examples, most of them can be easily explained away by the tendency of the brain to unconciously file away minor details, or could be explained by the fact that any person capable of being ressuccitated obviously still has a functional - however impaired - brain and eyes.

If I was to describe my experience, it would sound as convincing as any of the ones you described. Many of the details were correct, little minutae that you wouldn't expect plummeting person to take note of. But some other details were not correct. And it's those details that a scientist should focus on - the ones that disprove the hypothesis.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff