Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you agree evolution should be taught?

yes 0.67328042328042 67.3% [ 1018 ]
no 0.13161375661376 13.2% [ 199 ]
I'm not sure.. but I want gold :3 0.19510582010582 19.5% [ 295 ]
Total Votes:[ 1512 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 139 140 141 > >> >>> »|

I heard in some places they've decided to not teach the laws of Charles Darwin and evolution. What are your thoughts on this, and do you agree? o_o
Unless it's a private school I think that's illegal. Certainly it cripples the children's education in the sciences.
Krazyaznxinluv
I heard in some places they've decided to not teach the laws of Charles Darwin and evolution. What are your thoughts on this, and do you agree? o_o

this is true, somne places are teaching the creationism theory and such in schools instead, and naturally, hat happened? rebellion i say! rebellion! check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
im sorry to cite wikipedia, but this happened in 2005 so it died down a bit, so i couldnt find the exact page i first read about it, but this is accurate as compared to hat i read back in 2005 lol. u should get a kick outta this.
Since evolution is a scientific theory, yes, it should be taught. Its freaking science. Should it be dropped from the curriculum? I don't believe so. If we drop that, lets drop teaching about gravity. Hell, it could be god pushing everything towards earth[/sarcasm].
What I really disagree with though is teaching both creationsim and evolution, at least in public schools. You're a private school? Fine, teach whatever the hell you want. But don't bring creationism, a religious belief, into the public school system.
I dunno if this is true, but one of my good friends mentioned that in some of the Southern states they're thinking of banning the teaching of evolution. I don't think this is positive, but if this was true wouldn't that mean that fundamentalism is becoming more popular?

And! yeah that flying spaghetti monster... LOL uhm..ramen? :3
it should depend on the parents of the child
its should be their dicision

not the schools
I think the thoughts of Evolution as a whole have too many holes in their arguments,so before further teaching these ideas should be further reorganized, and more and more evidence is being found for intelligent design so I think both should be taught as ideas about world and life origins unless one can be fully proven or disproven.
denizthemonarch
it should depend on the parents of the child
its should be their dicision

not the schools

Since when are parents qualified scientists?
People shouldn't make such a big stink over whether or not evolution and creationism should be taught in schools.

By my way of thinking, evolution can be scientificly proven to be correct, therefore, there should be no debate on whether or not to teach it in science classes.

Conversely, creationism can not be proven, therefore it should stay out of public schools, unless in a class in which ALL religious views on the creation of organisms is discussed.

Obviously, if it's a private school, they can do what they please, however, as far as public schools go, this should not even be debated. Religion has no place in public schools unless ALL religions are being taught about in correctly designated classes, such as social studies, and even then, the students should only be taught the basics of each religion.
Crazyjust4u
I think the thoughts of Evolution as a whole have too many holes in their arguments,so before further teaching these ideas should be further reorganized, and more and more evidence is being found for intelligent design so I think both should be taught as ideas about world and life origins unless one can be fully proven or disproven.

You know that's a lie. You've had your "holes" torn apart in dozens of other threads already. Stop spreading lies.
As evolution has been proven countless times in myriad instances, of course it should be taught.

What kind of question is that?
Crazyjust4u

Wow. I can't wait to move far, far from the United States.
I think this is absolutely ludicrous, though unfortunately it is indeed happening more and more often.

Personally I believe school and religion should be kept separate.
Darwin’s theory is a big part of science today and if youths don’t properly study it in middle and high school they’ll have difficulties in college and later on in life.
Also they don’t have to believe it. If certain children have religious problems, well then that’s more of a reason to learn about it. Then they wont sound like complete idiots saying how they don’t believe in something they know nothing about.

P.S. Pastafarianism is awesome
hachimitsugirl
As evolution has been proven countless times in myriad instances, of course it should be taught.

What kind of question is that?

Well, it's an opinion, but it's just that many believe that it goes against their beliefs. Sort of like, if you believe that everything from the bible is strictly true.
Separation of church and state. 'Nuff said. No evolutionary theories in the classroom. That's all there is to it. You should have to apply for a class to learn about Darwinism, not be taught as curriculum material. Catholics despise Darwin and all he taught. Imagine the look on their faces when they hear their 4-year-old saying "Mommy, I learned that we evolved from apes today! Is that true?"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff