Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dance Dance Revolution thread on Gaia Online: First Post Update!
By: Trick Master Mint

What is Dance Dance Revolution (or DDR)?

Dance Dance Revolution is, in short, a rhythm game with a large four-panel controller that you use your feet to play. The premise is simple: Arrows (left, down, up, and right) will scroll up the screen in time to a song, and the object is to hit the directional panel in beat with the corresponding arrow. Your accuracy is graded by the following ratings:

- Marvelous/Marvellous!!! (Only available in Nonstop/Oni Courses and DDR Extreme 2/Str!ke)
- Perfect!!
- Great!
- Good
- Boo/Almost (Almosts appear on DDR home versions and DDR Supernova AC in the US)
- Miss/Boo (Boos replace Misses on DDR home versions and DDR Supernova AC in the US)

Grades are issues when the song ends and can range from E (song failure) to AAA (getting all Perfects). For all intents and purposes, a Marvelous counts as a Perfect.

DDR Song Lists:

Song genres range from J-Pop to Trance to Happy Hardcore, and each song is about 1:30, give or take (DDR 6th Mix's Nori Nori Nori is much shorter, whereas DDR 7th Mix's Kakumei is much longer.) For full songlists of each mix, refer to the following website(s):

- http://www.ddrfreak.com/versions/listver.php (features most of the song lists from some of the DDR mixes; it is incomplete and does not feature lists for games like DDR Str!ke and DDR Mario Mix)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dance_Revolution (each mix is separated into its own article, and the song lists are linked or listed in each article)

Ranking System:

There is currently a ranking website for those who would like to keep track of their DDR scores in an organized fashion called DDRecall. Only arcade scores are accepted, due to the larger Perfect window (also addressed below in the FAQ).

- http://www.ddrecall.com/ (the site also features a record-keeping system for In The Groove called "GrooveTrack", but it is much less popular than the other ITG record site "GrooveStats")

Other Rhythm Games:

There are a few other popular rhythm games that will be referred to or discussed in the thread (links to related sites are at the bottom of the post):

Pump It Up! - Pump It Up! (PIU) is Korean company Andamiro's 5-Panel Rhythm Game that is very similar in premise to DDR but features a very different grading system and is home to some of the most stamina-draining stepcharts in any dance game. A few of the more notable are the Nightmare charts for the songs "Dignity", "Love Is A Danger Zone 2", and "Canon-D". Gaia Online user aokiqiao has created a Pump It Up! thread, but the link is currently unknown. PIU currently has eight international arcade releases but only one console release: Pump It Up! Exceed.

In The Groove - In The Groove (ITG) was Seattle-based company RoXoR Games's answer to DDR. It features the exact same arrow layout as DDR and offers song mods only previously available in Stepmania, a DDR simulation game for the PC. It is most noted for having harder charts than DDR, as DDR features songs with difficulty ratings of 1-10 whereas ITG ranges from 1-13. Its most popular songs that feature incredibly hard charts include Pandemonium, VerTex^2, Euphoria, Summer ~Speedy Mix~, Determinator, and Bloodrush. ITG has two arcade releases and one console release.

beatmania IIDX - beatmania IIDX is a rhythm game from the makers of DDR (beatmania is actually the first rhythm game ever made). It features 7 keys and a turntable, each that are hit in tune with songs. The game features an incredibly small timing window and offers a very steep learning curve, which has turned many players off to the game. beatmania IIDX currently has 13+ arcade releases (with its beatmania predecessor having a variety of other releases), 11+ Japanese console releases, and one US console release under the name "beatmania". Gaia Online user RePure has created a beatmania IIDX thread.

Pop'n Music - Pop'n Music is a rhythm game similar to IIDX featuring nine bubble-like buttons. It too has a multitude of arcade and console releases and is most noted for having the largest range of genres in rhythm gaming.

Stepmania - Stepmania is a popular DDR/ITG simulator available for free at Stepmania.com. It features a variety of customizable themes and noteskins, and one can even upload or create their own songs for play. More information about Stepmania is available at their website.

Flash Flash Revolution - Flash Flash Revolution (FFR) is a flash-based DDR simulator. It is widely considered very inferior to Stepmania or the lesser-played Dance With Intensity (the precursor to Stepmania) as it is said to have a terrible interface and annoying gameplay mechanics. It is available at FlashFlashRevolution.com.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Has anyone ever passed (song name) on (difficulty)?
A: Yes. Every song on DDR, including the new tracks on Supernova, has been cleared. The same can be said for ITG. There are a few Nightmare charts on PIU that have not been passed by one person alone (such as the song "Raw" wink .

Q: What kind of shoes should I wear on a pad? Should I even wear shoes?
A: Wear what feels comfortable, but yes, WEAR SHOES. I am aware that some people own soft Konami/3rd-party pads that are incompatible with shoes. In those circumstances, which would involve home versions, that's fine. However, when playing in the arcade, wear shoes. Not wearing shoes is both unsarity (no one likes foot sweat on their pad) and dangerous (many people have the gashes to prove it). Screws are no laughing matter.

Q: I want a metal pad. What kind should I get?
A: The two most popular metal pads are the Cobalt Flux and the RedOctane Afterburner. The kind you get should be based on preference and how big your wallet is. Visit the two sites (links are available below) and compare. An alternative is to check sites like eBay for cheaper but still well-made pads and the like.

Q: I got a AA on Healing Vision (Angelic Mix) on DDRMAX for my PS2! Does it count?
A: While AAing "HVAM" is certainly one of those notable landmarks for lower-level DDR players, Home Versions available on the PS2 offer very different gameplay mechanics that make your score less than legitimate. Home versions feature larger timing windows, so getting Perfects is much easier to do. In addition, a mere full combo will give you a AA in every PS2 DDR release. Arcade timing windows are smaller, and full combos with high Great counts will not reward you with AAs. This is the main reason why sites such as DDRecall do not allow Home Version scores: they are simply easier to get.

Q: I can beat anybody at this game. Who wants to take me on?
A: Unless you're Lil Q, BlueMystic, Damien, Dukamok, MegamanX, Jboy, Gay Goblin, CXZ, DjStunna, cha0ticz, Adam Styles, qkumbr, or any of the documented best players in the world, you are probably not going to impress anyone. This is not an attack on new players, this is an attack on arrogance. It has no place in the DDR community, and unless you have proof to back up your claims, your words are empty.

Q: When is (dance game) coming out?
A: Check the official website, read a popular gaming website, or contact your local gaming retailer.

Q: How should I post in this thread?
A: Lurk and read the last few pages. The thread is so big that it would be stupid to read the entire thing, but the least you can do is read up on the current topic of discussion and see if what you want to talk about or know is being addressed. It prevents a lot of unnecessity. Also, don't spam or bump the sticky. You will be reported very quickly.

Q: What is a good freestyle routine?
A: If you really would like to discuss freestyles, feel free to do so. There are a few outdated guides on DDRFreak. However, dance game freestyle is no longer popular, and as such, it is a good rule of thumb to basically not waste your time. Sometimes, tournaments will feature freestyle divisions, but it's very rare nowadays. It's really in your best interests to not worry about it. Also, if you do someone else's routine, everyone will hate you.

Related Links (not elsewhere in the post):

http://www.konami.com/gs/gameslist.php?genreid=9 - Official Konami listing of all US-released Dance Dance Revolution games, among a few other games.
http://www.andamiro.com/ - Official website of Andamiro, creators of Pump It Up!
http://www.roxorgames.com/ - Official website of RoXoR Games, creators of In The Groove.
http://www.bemanistyle.com/ - A popular Bemani forum that feature Stepmania simfiles, a Bemani forum, and a generally smart staff that can answer any questions you may have.
http://www.ddrfreak.com/ - A popular DDR website featuring a forum, song lists and charts, and other interesting information.
http://www.musicineverydirection.com/ - Konami's Official Music Game website. Includes info about their music games and offers music samples!
http://www.cobaltflux.com/ - Home of the Cobalt Flux metal pad.
http://www.redoctane.com/redoctanemetalpad.html - Home of the RedOctane Afterburner metal pad.

Due to its shrinking utility, this thread will no longer be stickied. Everyone is free to keep posting, but conversation on this subject is no longer restrained to this thread. There are no plans to make a replacement sticky for DDR or similar rhythm games.

Aged Gaian

Tips/Techniques? only blink if you have to!
How long have you been playing? a year
Shoes that you would recommend? do NOT play with converse!
DDR Videos? I have one... with someone playing in a ducky suit.
DDR Simulators (DWI)? DWI is better than Flash Flash Revolution
Platforms/Pads? PS2 - DDR MAX/MAX2 is the best out there so far. MAX 2 comes out in September in the US. DDR Extreme comes out in Japan soon. the best pad is probably the one with the 1.5 inch foam... just go to ddrfreak.com
Bad experiences? I failed Drop the Bomb on Maniac -tear- But I maniaced 3 songs before that, so does that count?

I am a Standard/Heavy person. Level 6-8. My best accomplishment ish.. uh.. -thinks- probably Synchronized Love on maniac. Or Drop the Bomb, reverse, boost, x1.5 and I got an A. ^________^ -bling-
Tips- Im just a beginner so I am a light-standard person. Best tip is start slow and dont get frustrated. Who cares if someone can do heavy dance with them. Get great on one level where you can do tricks then move up to the next. Also find a buddy thats better then you and go together.
Ive been playing for about half a year.
For light songs it doesnt matter but hight and really in general wear light shoes like sneakers or something.
Tips/Techniques? Yeah, don't be nerveous when people watch you
How long have you been playing? 2 years
Shoes that you would recommend? Wear heavy yet lite boots... good traction
DDR Videos? I have a few... Some people are strange... I'm talkin about people who dance like NSYNC

Platforms/Pads? PS2 - DDR MAX/MAX2 is the best thus far. The best pad to use is the metal pad... My friend bought one for 105.00 It's the same one in the arcade... It's F'ing sweet
Bad experiences? Yeah, can't pass Paranoia in light mode.... I'm such a loser... But hey practice makes perfect.
Been playing since : February 02
Sheos of choice: Anything light, small, and NO LACES. XD
Home Pads: I try not to.
Tips: DO NOT be afraid to use the bar! Put your upper weight on it, so your feet can move faster. It helps!
Videos?: Actually, yes. Two or three times at a local friendly tournament, once while I was cosplaying. Never found out where they went.
DWI: Don't play. I use my controller and import 3rd mix for some practice now and then. ^^;;
Bad EX: Failed End of the Century on Standard because of a bad machine. =X Almost fell off when I was learning to play, too.
Ohhh bad experience.....When I tried my first Matrix walk across the game it moved the whole machine and unplugged the maching behind it luckly no one was playing it hahaha
Thank God this topic got stickied. There must be about fifty of these topics now...

Welcome to the broken low
Welcome to the famous disco live
Come on lady come and go
Come on lady get me once and right

Yay for completely nonsensical lyrics! Night of Fire owns all. xd
I've been playing DDR for ALMOST a year now, and the best I can do is basic mode still. -___-;;;;; I have alot of fun playing though, so I guess that's all that counts. XD

I do own DDRMax and Konamix, I got my pad from RedOctane, it's a pretty good pad. Although it's taken a beating, it's not really working correctly anymore. >.<;

I can't really think of having a bad experience while playing DDR, I did fail quite a bit when I was first playing... I really have alot of trouble playing at the arcade because I get very nervous playing in front of people. At home, I tend to get As and Bs on most songs I play but in the arcade I can barely manage a C... It might also be the fact that the machines aren't mantained very well either so the pad doesn't respond very well unless you play HARD. I'm not used to playing hard since my home pad is USUALLY pretty respondant.
Tips/Techniques? Don't iwthout shoes.
How long have you been playing? 2 months
Shoes that you would recommend? Circa's
DDR Videos? Nah, not good enough yet.
DDR Simulators (DWI)? Step Mania?
Platforms/Pads? Ignition, Normal, building my own metal system.
Bad experiences? I sprained my ancle at the mall while trying my first heavy song.
How long i have played DDR: For 5 years
Tips: DOnt choose a song just because it sounds cool. You never know what difficulty it is.. even if it is in the easy mode. Also, choose a song carefully for all you beginners. i chose a song that sounded cool and ended up failing before i could even press the arrows lolz.
Bad experiences: Playing with a friend and found myself moving on his pad lolz.
Pads: I really want the DDR arcade pad but its sooo expensive.... sad But the good pads are ones that dont slip, and dont let YOU slip.
Shoes to wear: dont wear any slippers, you can wear any type of shoes but cleats, and anything that will make u fall if your on dust, or something made of smooth substances like the home entertainment DDR pads. and Make sure that your shoes are tied on tite other wise your shoe will fly and hit someone on the head if your going to attempt a trick (such as a breakdance trick or a flip on the pad)
Tips/Techniques? Practice, practice, practice. Don't be afaird to try harder songs.

How long have you been playing? a year or so.

Shoes that you would recommend? runners... though i've played in my high heel boots... not smart.

DDR Videos? nope o__O

DDR Simulators (DWI)?: I play DWI all the time, i think it helps, because you start memorizing the moves and such.

Platforms/Pads? I have two soft ddr pads.. one got alot of cuts at the bottom though o_O

Bad experiences? None really.. sometimes it's embrassing failing a song when i started out. gonk

Magnetic Lunatic

big tip: don't stomp, it's not styleful.
Liu
I'm sure most of you know the game Dance Dance Revolution; for those who don't, it's a basic game that requires the player to step on four arrows on a platform that correspond to the arrows on the screen.

After countless threads created based on DDR, it's more than apparent that a game of such popularity deserves a sticky.

Please direct and share any experiences, advice, or just anything related to DDR in this thread.

To get the thread rolling:
Tips/Techniques? It all depends on what type of DDR`tist you are.
Usually Stomping loudly, and keeping a constant beat helps with the timing of Perfects (or in DDRe`s case, MARVELOUSES!) In fact, most of the top PA`ers from Nor-Cal almost ALWAYS keep a steady beat, even if there is no stream of arrows on the screen.
WARNING: NEVER EVER stomp on the pads in Japan. Rumor has it that they will, under no circumstances, throw you OUT of the arcade for causing such a disruption.

For the Freestyler, it all depends on actual dance skill. Anyone can go up on the pads are start slapping the arrows with their knees/hands/head/dead fish. it takes little or no effort to actually make it look impressive. Do things that haven`t been done before, however, i do not encourage you to start doing the robot on Max 300 or bust out the flare on Bag. Certain songs have a certain style of dance you can associate it with. I go for the Techno/Trance Songs such as I Feel..., Drifting away etc. Routines usually should be danced FACING the audience. Some people can get away with it, however. These "improv" freestylers pull random things out of their hat and encorporate them last minute. Always have fun, and remember, DDR is NOT a life, it`s just a game. OH! and I hate Glowsticks.. anyone that uses such "tools" automatically sucks at freestyling.

How long have you been playing? 1 year, and 11 months. ^^;V

Shoes that you would recommend? a shoe with a comfortable inner sole.
I`ve played in a variety of shoes, from skate, to Adidas, to Coverses, and imho, the best shoes that i played in were either the Adidas or the Skate shoes. Converses (all-stars) are really uncomfortable and made with cheap synthetic materials. To sum it up, go for a flat-bottomed shoe. Skate shoes have the best grip, and will wear and tear less than Adidas will, (it`s worth it to get a shoe that`ll last for a longer time and pay the extra 10 or so bucks, plus, it`s stylish ^_____^;V).

DDR Videos? I really don`t have a favourite one, allthough I must say Mr. Wendell is my hero. heart

DDR Simulators (DWI)? http://www.stepmania.com

Platforms/Pads? I usually only play DDR in the arcade. The pads are in horrible condition, registering a "miss" even though i get perfects. Go figure.

Bad experiences? Probably when I fell off the pad playing Do You Remember Me Doubles, (Gosh! those pads were SOOOO slippery) I managed to pull myself up and finish the song with an A. XD

These are just some post suggestions, you don't need to answer them all smile

http://www.go-gaia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1531231#1531231

more answers from the poll.. i think i`ve scared enough people away.
Time Playing: hms round bout '99-01 used to have a PS versoin of DDR 2 biggrin

DDR Tips: Like everyone Else said before, dont stomp on the pad!. Number of times ive played DDR and the stupid pads either been broken or one of the arrows get stuck ^^.

anyone here ever played Crazy Dancing? mabey not very many songs but still quite fun ^^
playing for about a month i still suck but it's fun! most ebaressing was didn't happen 2 me but my friend we had one of those soft pads and he was like scrunched all of it all around his feet so it wasn't flat it wasjust a big ball of ddr padness...lol yeah shoes i'd say go for light shoes that provide good cooshins heh but i think the best pad is prolly the metal ones u can buy that are all metal n jsut liek the arcade or if u go soft get the ones with foam inside liek somebody said earlier from like www.ddrfreak.com or www.redoctance.com

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff