Welcome to Gaia! ::

Many people seem to believe that the word phobia means fear, and nothing else, making the words homophobia, incorrect to use to describe those prejudiced to homosexuals. While the word phobia certainly means fear, it also means an aversion or intolerance. You can see this by yourself in the Oxford English Dictionary and Merrian-Webster dictionary:

Merriam-Webster
–phobia
Function: noun combining form
Etymology: New Latin, from Late Latin, from Greek, from -phobos fearing, from phobos fear, flight, from phebesthai to flee; akin to Lithuanian begti to flee, Old Church Slavic bezati
1 : exaggerated fear of <acrophobia>
2 : intolerance or aversion for <photophobia>

Oxford English Dictionary
-phobia, comb. form
Forming nouns with the sense ‘fear of -----’, ‘aversion to -----’.

So, now that we saw the meaning of the word phobia, let us see what aversion means shall we?

Merriam-Webster
aver•sion
Function: noun
1 obsolete : the act of turning away
2 a : a feeling of repugnance toward something with a desire to avoid or turn from it <regards drunkenness with aversion> b : a settled dislike : ANTIPATHY <expressed an aversion to parties> c : a tendency to extinguish a behavior or to avoid a thing or situation and especially a usually pleasurable one because it is or has been associated with a noxious stimulus
3 : an object of aversion <inconstancy is my aversion -- Jane Austen>

(obsolete)1. The action of turning away oneself, one's eyes, etc.
(obsolete)2. The action of averting, warding off, or getting rid of. Obs.
(obsolete)3. A moral turning of oneself away, estrangement (from). Obs.
4. a. An averted state of mind or feelings; a mental attitude of opposition or repugnance; a fixed, habitual dislike; an antipathy.
b. Const. (towards, against, obs.), from, to (for), inf. See AVERSE 3b.
5. transf[erred sense]. of things.
6. An object of dislike or repugnance.
7. attrib., as aversion therapy, treatment, therapy or treatment designed to render a particular habit repugnant to someone addicted to it.

Therefore, as you can see, saying “I’m not afraid of homosexuals/transsexuals, so I’m homophobic!” is actually incorrect. If you have an aversion, a dislike, maybe even hatred, for homosexuals and maybe even of homosexuality as a whole, you are indeed homophobic.

Another thing that is sometimes seen is people saying that bigot means racist, therefore, not appliable to those that hate homosexuals. That is also wrong. Bigot means:

Merriam-Webster
big·ot
Pronunciation: 'bi-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group(as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

Wikipedia
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own. The origin of the word in English dates back to at least 1598, via Middle French, and started with the sense of religious hypocrite, especially a woman.

Bigot is often used as a pejorative term against a person who is obstinately devoted to their prejudices even when these views are challenged or proven to be false. Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology or world views.

(obsolete)1.a. A hypocritical professor of religion, a hypocrite.
b. A superstitious adherent of religion.
2. A person obstinately and unreasonably wedded to a particular religious creed, opinion, or ritual.
b. transf[erred sense] (Of other than religious opinions.)
3. Comb[ined forms]., as bigot-maker.

As you can see, bigot is someone that is intolerant of other opinions, indentities, lifestyles, etc. While the Merriam-Webster refers to race only, that is a mere example. It is not the only meaning of the word. So, if you are intolerant to homosexuals, you are indeed a bigot.
Quote:
As you can see, bigot is someone that is intolerant of other opinions, indenties, lifestyles, etc. While the Merriam-Webster refers to race only, that is a mere example. It is not the only meaning of the word. So, if you are intolerant to homosexuals, you are indeed a bigot.

I'm intolerant of people who show up late for work, arguably a lifestyle choice (staying out late causing you to sleep through your alarm). I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant of *****, arguably a lifestyle choice and definately part of one's identity. I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant of rape, arguably a lifestyle choice by the man who rapes, and definately a part of his identity. I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant of theives, theiving being a lifestyle choice by the one who steals. I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant of racists, hating those of another race being an opinion. I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant...

Well you get the picture. Your definition of "bigot" is so broad as to cover almost any lack of approval for any topic, opinion, choice, etc. Bigotry is reserved for a specific sort of intolerance. You failed to nail down what that sort of intolerance is.

Eloquent Bibliophile

Talon-chan
Quote:
As you can see, bigot is someone that is intolerant of other opinions, indenties, lifestyles, etc. While the Merriam-Webster refers to race only, that is a mere example. It is not the only meaning of the word. So, if you are intolerant to homosexuals, you are indeed a bigot.

I'm intolerant of people who show up late for work, arguably a lifestyle choice (staying out late causing you to sleep through your alarm). I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant of *****, arguably a lifestyle choice and definately part of one's identity. I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant of rape, arguably a lifestyle choice by the man who rapes, and definately a part of his identity. I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant of theives, theiving being a lifestyle choice by the one who steals. I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant of racists, hating those of another race being an opinion. I'm a bigot.

I'm intolerant...

Well you get the picture. Your definition of "bigot" is so broad as to cover almost any lack of approval for any topic, opinion, choice, etc. Bigotry is reserved for a specific sort of intolerance. You failed to nail down what that sort of intolerance is.

I'd like to point out that the definitions cited refer specifically to prejudiced or unreasonable views.
Quote:

2. A person obstinately and unreasonably wedded to a particular religious creed, opinion, or ritual.

Quote:
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.

None of the counter examples you gave lack logical reasoning or prejudice; thus they are not bigotry.

Vicious Reveler

Ah, and in this you've discovered that every human being is a bigot in some form or another because people generally are intolerant.

At this point in society with specilized labor, all intolerance is unreasonable.

We F*ckin' rely on eachother.
"You know how they say 'if you're afraid of gay people, you probably are one.'?

Yeah, that sucks for me, 'cause I'm afraid of dogs."

Mitch Hedburg, paraphrased by GoatShow.
GoatShow

Well at-least that explains why you're on all fours...
GoatShow

Doesn't quite work here actually. People are afraid of dogs because they somehow believe that they are dangerous. Gay people are just other people, no inherent danger in them at all. Granted, not all homophobes are gay, however generally people are afraid of them not because they genuinely pose any kind of threat, but because they make them question themselves. For many people questioning themselves is scary because that means that they actually have to think (oh noes!) and that maybe, just maybe, they might be wrong. Also there have been studies that link homophobia to repressed homosexuality (Homophobia Study.
Nine Lotus Petals Falling
GoatShow

Doesn't quite work here actually. People are afraid of dogs because they somehow believe that they are dangerous. Gay people are just other people, no inherent danger in them at all. Granted, not all homophobes are gay, however generally people are afraid of them not because they genuinely pose any kind of threat, but because they make them question themselves. For many people questioning themselves is scary because that means that they actually have to think (oh noes!) and that maybe, just maybe, they might be wrong. Also there have been studies that link homophobia to repressed homosexuality (Homophobia Study.

And let's remember, homosexuality is not a breed.

It's not defined by appearance or scent...it's some-thing internal.

Which is why people question it and are consequently...dis-comforted.
IT WAS A JOKE!
IT HAD A PUNCHLINE!

YEESH!
Talon-chan
Quote:

I'm intolerant...

your awesome
GoatShow
IT WAS A JOKE!
IT HAD A PUNCHLINE!

YEESH!

And completely un-necessary.

This is the ED.
cyropi
Talon-chan
Quote:

I'm intolerant...

I'd like to point out that the definitions cited refer specifically to prejudiced or unreasonable views.
Quote:

Quote:
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.

None of the counter examples you gave lack logical reasoning or prejudice; thus they are not bigotry.
But neither does hating homosexuals, some could argue:

"I don't like that adults have sex with children" is just as reasonable for being intolerant of ***** as "I don't like men having sex with men."

One can find many perfectly logical and reasonable justifications for thinking ill of homosexuals.

Also, concerning prejudice.

Prejudice means you pre-judge a person and think ill of them entirely just because of one flaw: If you are prejudiced against blacks you think ill of a person entirely just because of skin color, even though skin color has nothing to do with how charitable that person is (for example). If I think ill of KKK members just because they hold one belief, or if I think ill of someone who consistently sleeps in late... how is that different? I am judging them as people entirely based upon one aspect of who they are.

I am all for homosexual rights, gay marriage, etc... I still don't think you've made very accurate or precise definitions.
its just guys acting an a** in front of there friends.

Eloquent Bibliophile

Talon-chan
cyropi
Talon-chan
Quote:

I'm intolerant...

Quote:

Quote:

But neither does hating homosexuals, some could argue:

"I don't like that adults have sex with children" is just as reasonable for being intolerant of ***** as "I don't like men having sex with men."

One can find many perfectly logical and reasonable justifications for thinking ill of homosexuals.

Except that there are justifiable reasons for being opposed to adults having sex with children; namely that it caused harm to the child. There are no justifiable reasons for being opposed to men having sex with men.

Quote:
Also, concerning prejudice.

Prejudice means you pre-judge a person and think ill of them entirely just because of one flaw: If you are prejudiced against blacks you think ill of a person entirely just because of skin color, even though skin color has nothing to do with how charitable that person is (for example). If I think ill of KKK members just because they hold one belief, or if I think ill of someone who consistently sleeps in late... how is that different? I am judging them as people entirely based upon one aspect of who they are.

If you think that all people who sleep in late are lazy, ignorant, idiotic, etc. without logical reasoning or evidence, then yes, that would be prejudice. If you just dislike the fact that David always comes to work half an hour late, that isn't prejudice.

Quote:
I am all for homosexual rights, gay marriage, etc... I still don't think you've made very accurate or precise definitions.

Blame the English language, not us.
Talon-chan

However, the KKK's actions and beliefs go against one's rights. One's skintone..... Doesn't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff