Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was in Zoology today 8th block at school.
I learned something interesting,
that I never thought about.
Well...I've always believed in evolution,
but this really causes me to lean more towards evolution,
rather than people just...appearing.

Here is the quote I copied from my Zoology book:
"Live does not arise spontaneously but comes from prior life, through a process of reproduction. Although life certainly originated from nonliving matter at least once, this required enormously long periods of time and conditions very different from those of the modern biosphere."

I found this rather wise, and correct, in my opinion. It covers the whole "Two people just don't appear from nowhere" issue, while also covering the "Well, what about the very first organisms? They had to come from somewhere. That somewhere is from God." debate as well.

Eventually, after long periods of time, SOME form of organism (even bacteria) had to form on the Earth. I think that those organisms just evolved, and eventually, we (as in us humans) came along. What do all of you think?
Danny192
*bumps* heh heh heh!

This is not a valid response.
Please leave.
What you described isn't Evolution per say but Abiogenesis. Which while I agree with it, doesn't have a shred of quantifiable evidence.
If I interpret this correctly, the problem lies here:

FushigiRei
"Live does not arise spontaneously but comes from prior life, through a process of reproduction. Although life certainly originated from nonliving matter at least once, this required enormously long periods of time and conditions very different from those of the modern biosphere."

This did not occur in the modern biosphere. It happened billions of years ago. It seems as if your book is saying that we cannot replicate this experiment. Not that it couldn't have happened.
agreed.

isn't it cool whe you read something and it just makes so much sense to you? hehe
Naomi ~ chan

FushigiRei

This did not occur in the modern biosphere. It happened billions of years ago. It seems as if your book is saying that we cannot replicate this experiment. Not that it couldn't have happened.

No, it's not saying we can't replicate it.
It's saying that the first organisms happened over long periods of time, and the conditions they evolved under are not like the current biosphere. It never said it occured in the modern biosphere.
I don't believe in Evolution.

I accept it.

As fact and the most likely reason.
FushigiRei
Naomi ~ chan

FushigiRei

It's saying that the first organisms happened over long periods of time, and the conditions they evolved under are not like the current biosphere. It never said it occured in the modern biosphere.

I know this. So, I don't really see what this excerpt has to do with whether or not Evolution is a valid explanation. The only thing it's saying is that it couldn't happen today. If you aren't using it to mean that it couldn't happen at all, what's it for?
The excerpt seems to make a point then get rid of it all by itself.
Even though research hasn't beeen going on for a billion years like evelutionis say there should have been some research for almost 1000 years of.How the first creatures came to be living (and even how the eart came to be!,the first molucle and atom)diesn't just "evolve" out of nothing. There are also examples of animals and of the eearth's envirorment like why aren't we even seeing some animal evolving theries.
Naomi ~ chan
FushigiRei
Naomi ~ chan

FushigiRei

I know this. So, I don't really see what this excerpt has to do with whether or not Evolution is a valid explanation. The only thing it's saying is that it couldn't happen today. If you aren't using it to mean that it couldn't happen at all, what's it for?

It's not saying it couldn't happen today.

Oh, and the stuff in bold. WHA..?
Makes no sense.
I don't know why more people don't stop and think that hey, maybe evolution and God can both be true.
Da-cookiemonster499
Even though research hasn't beeen going on for a billion years like evelutionis say there should have been some research for almost 1000 years of.How the first creatures came to be living (and even how the eart came to be!,the first molucle and atom)diesn't just "evolve" out of nothing. There are also examples of animals and of the eearth's envirorment like why aren't we even seeing some animal evolving theries.

Actually, it could evolve from nothing. The quote states how it might be possible.

Oh, and please learn to...type better..
lumnata
I don't know why more people don't stop and think that hey, maybe evolution and God can both be true.

This topic is really only talking about evolution. Talking about God is not what I'm asking, here.

EDIT: And not all people believe in THE God.
Naomi ~ chan
FushigiRei
Naomi ~ chan

FushigiRei

The excerpt explains that the first organisms were not created from god. That is the explaination. It is as valid and has equal evidence as saying god created everything.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff