Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lunatic

parazesis

Lol, Stage Managers are interesting folks. You'd think they'd be really sensible and serious. Nope a lot of them are just a riot. I kinda think they might use that as a coping mechanism so they don't go nuts from their job. ninja
My fencing background helps some with Stage Combat, but it's also been a bit of a hindrance in some respects. I pick things up quickly because I'm familiar with the real deal but I also have to watch myself because my movements and instincts are honed for actual, uncoreographed swordplay so I have to change things to fit the choreographed nature of stage combat.
Lol, lots of people don't really comprehend just how much goes on behind the scenes in theater. But that's where the magic comes from so I'm okay with that. My favorite was being the Costume Designer, of course, that's what I'm studying to do.
And you're fine, nothing wrong with Broadway, and it is what most people think of when they think of theater. But you're absolutely right, NYC and LA are really extreme and so over-saturated with people who do what I do which makes for a really competitive job-market in an already competitive field. Like Nashville is for country music. I'm sure there are some ways to work film in Texas, it's just a matter of finding them. :3nod

I understand how that goes. Passions are so hard to explain sometimes.
Forensic Accounting sounds really dang cool. Really intriguing. Good luck with that. 3nodding

Oooo, so you're from Arkansas! That's such a pretty part of the country. My family used to go to Hot Springs once a year and I loved it. Ah, such fond memories. emotion_kirakira
What part of AK are you from?
(weird, it didn't pop up for me! Sorry, I went afk for a bit)

I can see how that'd be a hindrance, then, 'cause you'd actually go for the combat and have to force yourself to hold back, huh? Makes sense, but you're right, there's so much magic for us in the audience at least. And of course XD That makes sense, too. I guess I meant of other things, maybe.
It might be nice, though, because since everything's so connected now you can probably do work in that field without having to live in a hub like LA or NYC. 3nodding I hope you can! Or at the very least, commissioned work, or something similar. Scan designs and work remotely, or fly out and fly back, stuff like that...

Thanks! Someday, someday, but I'm so far from it XD Long before that I'll have to get my Certified Public Accountant title, annnnd that's a lot of work.

That sounds awesome! Actually I'm from Alaska, but I've been to Arkansas as a kid I think. I'd love to go back someday, I don't get to go to the lower 48 much (read: never, really, @_@) but pretty much all my family's from the south, like Texas and Oklahoma.
We... we have hotsprings too at least, but they're in much colder areas >>;;

Wheezing Bloodsucker

17,625 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100
mrgreen I totally missed this event...Heh

Lupine Spirit

14,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
parazesis
Ookami sensei
Haha, I'm a bit overwhelmed by this discovery XD I just didn't realize how huge your country was _^_ I know it all may sound silly but it just came to me and... WOW XD

Well I've heard before that Paris isn't romantic at all and the people aren't that nice, so I'm not surprised. But come on, they eat snails and frogs, how can that be romantic xDD I'm joking but, hm, I don't know where this association with love came from. Nah, it's just an general impression, I don't think it's rude. There are obviously nice people too and you know it, but you can have your impression, right? My impression of people in Spain was thet either they don't know English or don't want to help strangers. But there were also really nice people who just saw we had some troubles with the subway and heard we weren't talking Spanish and just came to us and helped (but still the most helpful were the Polish tourists met accidently 8D).

Haha, I hope so too. Or I'll have to work as a cashier. Or a cleaner. But I wouldn't be a good cleaner, lol.

Lol, yeah, that difference is kinda hard to fully fathom sometimes.

I think the association between Paris and Romance might have come about around the mid 1700s or so due to the court's fondness for flirtations and ahem, infidelity. That's just a guess though.

So you've been to Spain. Aside from the unhelpful people what did you think?

Totally feel you on that account. I would hate to work an unskilled-labor job. xp

You're probably right about the Paris. But now we consider it rather romantic than uh, connected to flirts and infidelity. Maybe definition of love in culture also has changed a bit.

I've been to Spain (Madrid and Toledo only), Sweden, Chech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia (Dubrovnik only) and Bosnia (Sarajevo + Sutjeska National Park). So it's not like I've never been outside Poland but I do love to travel and want to see the world (but recently I don't even go outside the house, but that's another story), and it's really stupid that I've never been in Berlin which is relatively close and has so many things to see and probably is beautiful.
And Spain. I loved Madrid. And I loved siesta. It's amazing that people just spend afternoons outside and play and hang out and are having fun. The streets were full of people and music and it was great. I've heard and thought that Spanish girls are pretty but I haven't seen any special one. Boys looked better but still not the pretty Spanish boys I imagined biggrin Toledo was very pretty too and definitely the Arabic roots are visible there in architecture. Can't say anything about the people though, we was there shortly and it was cold and I think it was a weekday.

Eloquent Seeker

16,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Champion 300
  • First step to fame 200
Technicolour_Piston
parazesis

Lol, Stage Managers are interesting folks. You'd think they'd be really sensible and serious. Nope a lot of them are just a riot. I kinda think they might use that as a coping mechanism so they don't go nuts from their job. ninja
My fencing background helps some with Stage Combat, but it's also been a bit of a hindrance in some respects. I pick things up quickly because I'm familiar with the real deal but I also have to watch myself because my movements and instincts are honed for actual, uncoreographed swordplay so I have to change things to fit the choreographed nature of stage combat.
Lol, lots of people don't really comprehend just how much goes on behind the scenes in theater. But that's where the magic comes from so I'm okay with that. My favorite was being the Costume Designer, of course, that's what I'm studying to do.
And you're fine, nothing wrong with Broadway, and it is what most people think of when they think of theater. But you're absolutely right, NYC and LA are really extreme and so over-saturated with people who do what I do which makes for a really competitive job-market in an already competitive field. Like Nashville is for country music. I'm sure there are some ways to work film in Texas, it's just a matter of finding them. :3nod

I understand how that goes. Passions are so hard to explain sometimes.
Forensic Accounting sounds really dang cool. Really intriguing. Good luck with that. 3nodding

Oooo, so you're from Arkansas! That's such a pretty part of the country. My family used to go to Hot Springs once a year and I loved it. Ah, such fond memories. emotion_kirakira
What part of AK are you from?
(weird, it didn't pop up for me! Sorry, I went afk for a bit)

I can see how that'd be a hindrance, then, 'cause you'd actually go for the combat and have to force yourself to hold back, huh? Makes sense, but you're right, there's so much magic for us in the audience at least. And of course XD That makes sense, too. I guess I meant of other things, maybe.
It might be nice, though, because since everything's so connected now you can probably do work in that field without having to live in a hub like LA or NYC. 3nodding I hope you can! Or at the very least, commissioned work, or something similar. Scan designs and work remotely, or fly out and fly back, stuff like that...

Thanks! Someday, someday, but I'm so far from it XD Long before that I'll have to get my Certified Public Accountant title, annnnd that's a lot of work.

That sounds awesome! Actually I'm from Alaska, but I've been to Arkansas as a kid I think. I'd love to go back someday, I don't get to go to the lower 48 much (read: never, really, @_@) but pretty much all my family's from the south, like Texas and Oklahoma.
We... we have hotsprings too at least, but they're in much colder areas >>;;

*headdesk* I would get the state abbreviations mixed up. xp

Eloquent Seeker

16,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Champion 300
  • First step to fame 200
Ookami sensei
parazesis
Ookami sensei
Haha, I'm a bit overwhelmed by this discovery XD I just didn't realize how huge your country was _^_ I know it all may sound silly but it just came to me and... WOW XD

Well I've heard before that Paris isn't romantic at all and the people aren't that nice, so I'm not surprised. But come on, they eat snails and frogs, how can that be romantic xDD I'm joking but, hm, I don't know where this association with love came from. Nah, it's just an general impression, I don't think it's rude. There are obviously nice people too and you know it, but you can have your impression, right? My impression of people in Spain was thet either they don't know English or don't want to help strangers. But there were also really nice people who just saw we had some troubles with the subway and heard we weren't talking Spanish and just came to us and helped (but still the most helpful were the Polish tourists met accidently 8D).

Haha, I hope so too. Or I'll have to work as a cashier. Or a cleaner. But I wouldn't be a good cleaner, lol.

I think the association between Paris and Romance might have come about around the mid 1700s or so due to the court's fondness for flirtations and ahem, infidelity. That's just a guess though.

Totally feel you on that account. I would hate to work an unskilled-labor job. xp

You're probably right about the Paris. But now we consider it rather romantic than uh, connected to flirts and infidelity. Maybe definition of love in culture also has changed a bit.

I've been to Spain (Madrid and Toledo only), Sweden, Chech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia (Dubrovnik only) and Bosnia (Sarajevo + Sutjeska National Park). So it's not like I've never been outside Poland but I do love to travel and want to see the world (but recently I don't even go outside the house, but that's another story), and it's really stupid that I've never been in Berlin which is relatively close and has so many things to see and probably is beautiful.
And Spain. I loved Madrid. And I loved siesta. It's amazing that people just spend afternoons outside and play and hang out and are having fun. The streets were full of people and music and it was great. I've heard and thought that Spanish girls are pretty but I haven't seen any special one. Boys looked better but still not the pretty Spanish boys I imagined biggrin Toledo was very pretty too and definitely the Arabic roots are visible there in architecture. Can't say anything about the people though, we was there shortly and it was cold and I think it was a weekday.

Well, the idea of "love matches" in marriage is a relatively recent notion as far as being widely accepted (like, maybe 200 years or so I think, maybe. Possibly more but not very much). Love really is seen very differently these days than it was a few hundred years ago.

Sounds like you've been to some neat places. 3nodding

Lunatic

parazesis

XD I'm sorry! I shoulda said Alaska. I think most people do, really. >>;

19,775 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Wall Street 200
Collecting Ink

Bump~
Hoarding Event Items

Lupine Spirit

14,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
parazesis
Ookami sensei
parazesis
Ookami sensei

Well, the idea of "love matches" in marriage is a relatively recent notion as far as being widely accepted (like, maybe 200 years or so I think, maybe. Possibly more but not very much). Love really is seen very differently these days than it was a few hundred years ago.

Sounds like you've been to some neat places. 3nodding

Yeah, even in XIXth century they still were looking for a good match instead of romantic feelings. Not like the girls liked that biggrin You seem to know a lot about it heart

Haha, yeah, I guess smile Sarajevo wasn't very pretty actually because it still has visible war leftovers everywhere. But it isn't bad, it's just specific. I liked it there. And Dubrovnik was SO PRETTY OMG. And old. And architecture looking like the mix of Italian and Greek architecture smile And the sea, beautiful. Baltic Sea isn't that pretty. And the palms! I've seen them for the first time in my life. I mean in wild. But on the other hand there were so many tourists there I coudn't get any impression of Croatian people.
But it's still Europe smile It's amazing that you could go and see another continent. Even if it's not that different than yours, it's still something big imo.

Eloquent Seeker

16,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Champion 300
  • First step to fame 200
Technicolour_Piston
parazesis

XD I'm sorry! I shoulda said Alaska. I think most people do, really. >>;

lol, in my defense, both states start with A and have a K somewhere in there and I had just mentioned Arkansas so it was on my brain. In Alaska's defense, the abbreviation AL is already taken by Alabama if I recall correctly. whee

But Alaska is cool too. I wish I could remember my visit there but I was two so I don't recall anything save for the stories I've been told. Still, only state with larger land-mass than Texas, so I gotta give you some credit. xd So aside from cold what's it like up there hanging off of Canada?

Eloquent Seeker

16,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Champion 300
  • First step to fame 200
Ookami sensei
Yeah, even in XIXth century they still were looking for a good match instead of romantic feelings. Not like the girls liked that biggrin You seem to know a lot about it heart

Haha, yeah, I guess smile Sarajevo wasn't very pretty actually because it still has visible war leftovers everywhere. But it isn't bad, it's just specific. I liked it there. And Dubrovnik was SO PRETTY OMG. And old. And architecture looking like the mix of Italian and Greek architecture smile And the sea, beautiful. Baltic Sea isn't that pretty. And the palms! I've seen them for the first time in my life. I mean in wild. But on the other hand there were so many tourists there I coudn't get any impression of Croatian people.
But it's still Europe smile It's amazing that you could go and see another continent. Even if it's not that different than yours, it's still something big imo.

Lol, I have a bit of a thing for fun facts and historical tidbits. And of course, being a Costume Designer requires me to at least partially understand historical cultures or else I'd never be able to dress the characters correctly. ^-^;;

Dubrovnik really does sound beautiful. I'm sorry you couldn't get a sense for the people, hazards of visiting popular places I suppose.

Lol, trust me, Europe is VERY different from the US, or at least from Texas. When I was in France they were having a "heat wave" and I'm like, "This is nothing." xp And of course the cultures are so very different, not incompatibly so but still very distinct. For example, in the States most people will point at something using their dominant index finger, when I was in Germany I had to make sure I didn't do that because apparently that's offensive there. Of course, I'm sure the difference between the US and Europe is minute compared to say Asia or Africa, but still, big difference. Very interesting. I enjoyed it. 3nodding

Lupine Spirit

14,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
parazesis
Ookami sensei

Lol, I have a bit of a thing for fun facts and historical tidbits. And of course, being a Costume Designer requires me to at least partially understand historical cultures or else I'd never be able to dress the characters correctly. ^-^;;

Dubrovnik really does sound beautiful. I'm sorry you couldn't get a sense for the people, hazards of visiting popular places I suppose.

Lol, trust me, Europe is VERY different from the US, or at least from Texas. When I was in France they were having a "heat wave" and I'm like, "This is nothing." xp And of course the cultures are so very different, not incompatibly so but still very distinct. For example, in the States most people will point at something using their dominant index finger, when I was in Germany I had to make sure I didn't do that because apparently that's offensive there. Of course, I'm sure the difference between the US and Europe is minute compared to say Asia or Africa, but still, big difference. Very interesting. I enjoyed it. 3nodding

Haha, yeah. But you probably don't need to know how the definition of love has changed through the ages to design a perfect wedding dress biggrin Hah, I've never liked history as a school class. The wars and dates always were boring for me, but the culture, I've always loved it. It's weird, I've always been somewhere between science and art/culture. Not 100% science oriented but never a 100% humanist either. ehehe ^^;

Really? It's offensive in Germany? I have to ask my mom. In Poland it's not offensive, especially when you point something near you or something in a book or sth like that, and when you point something that is far away or SOMEONE, hm, I think it's considered as bad taste, you shouldn't really do this, but everone, probably, does. Every mom says to her child "don't point with a[n index] finger", but I'm sure everyone does it anyways. I think it's better when you try to point something with, uh, your head XD But it's more like shaking your head in some direaction which is not really precise, is it? X) And pointing with a whole hand or a fist is just unnatural. But as I said, I need to ask my mom if in Germalny it's really offensive, she should know. Haha, It's so fun talking about the culture differences, again, I had no idea there are so many of them. We all are all considered the "West Culture" (even though Poland is Russia's neighbour), so it's a small ******** for me biggrin Getting to know a different culture is always fun, I guess ^^
(now when I think about it, when you translate Polish equivalent to "index finger" back into English, you even get literally a "pointing finger", so, yeah X) )

Eloquent Seeker

16,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Champion 300
  • First step to fame 200
Ookami sensei
parazesis
Ookami sensei

Haha, yeah. But you probably don't need to know how the definition of love has changed through the ages to design a perfect wedding dress biggrin Hah, I've never liked history as a school class. The wars and dates always were boring for me, but the culture, I've always loved it. It's weird, I've always been somewhere between science and art/culture. Not 100% science oriented but never a 100% humanist either. ehehe ^^;

Really? It's offensive in Germany? I have to ask my mom. In Poland it's not offensive, especially when you point something near you or something in a book or sth like that, and when you point something that is far away or SOMEONE, hm, I think it's considered as bad taste, you shouldn't really do this, but everone, probably, does. Every mom says to her child "don't point with a[n index] finger", but I'm sure everyone does it anyways. I think it's better when you try to point something with, uh, your head XD But it's more like shaking your head in some direaction which is not really precise, is it? X) And pointing with a whole hand or a fist is just unnatural. But as I said, I need to ask my mom if in Germalny it's really offensive, she should know. Haha, It's so fun talking about the culture differences, again, I had no idea there are so many of them. We all are all considered the "West Culture" (even though Poland is Russia's neighbour), so it's a small ******** for me biggrin Getting to know a different culture is always fun, I guess ^^
(now when I think about it, when you translate Polish equivalent to "index finger" back into English, you even get literally a "pointing finger", so, yeah X) )

Actually It is something to know for costume design, if only because it helps in understanding why people wore what they wore. The views on love go hand in hand with the views on sex so both effect the ideas of how people (especially women) should dress. Going back to the late 18th century, flirtation and love outside of marriage were considered fashionable in the upper classes (especially in France) so there were little details in the way people dressed which went along with this. The ruffles on the ends of women's sleeves for example; those were often perfumed so that if a woman brushed against a man they would smell like her perfume.
Also, fun fact about wedding gowns: Wedding gowns weren't consistently white in the west until the mid 1800's when Queen Victoria of England wore white to her wedding and caused a trend.

That's what I was told before I went there. I guess I could be wrong. >_>;;

Oh yes, learning about different cultures is fascinating. emotion_kirakira

Moonlight Healer

Has anyone seen Stein today?

Eloquent Seeker

16,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Champion 300
  • First step to fame 200
OtakuKat

Not in here, unfortunately. sad

Moonlight Healer

parazesis
OtakuKat

Not in here, unfortunately. sad

Aw man I think I missed my chance. Oh well, hopefully Gaia will do this again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff