Welcome to Gaia! ::

Festive Trash

2sarahgate
User Image
CELEBRATE!!!

obama is winning the popular vote as well. and most of the votes are tallied. :/
domokun stargate

I love your signature.
Ri Oestreich
Rosine Denaja

Wow, you have quite the mouth on you, don't you?

Do you not like my opinion? Well that's too bad then-- get over it.

It's not an opinion, it's factually illiterate nonsense OR your opinion is that you literally think the size and number of states is more important than actual amounts of people in determining elections. In other words, NOT democracy, but some sort of insane land based government that only a complete moron would imagine up.

Eloquent Cutie-Pie

17,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Saccharine Light
2sarahgate
User Image
CELEBRATE!!!

obama is winning the popular vote as well. and most of the votes are tallied. :/
domokun stargate

I love your signature.

why thank you. X3 domokun stargate
IslandGinger50
logan the god of candy
don't we vote for who is actually in the electoral college?

No, they are selected AFTER the ehection in each state. And, all state constitutions, except Maine and Nebraska, have the Winner-tahes-All provision.

wow start ******** voting and marching on state government. god damn.
Ri Oestreich
Ahh, yes, I worded that rather badly about the states. I meant strictly by more states-- not by population. I do know that population differs wildly, and that of course should be taken into account.

More states makes no sense.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3297/3344564169_5170efd7ee_z.jpg
Look at this map.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Reevva
Why the ******** should someone be able to be elected with the support of only sixteen states? neutral He didn't even get the popular vote, meaning the vast majority of people didn't even want him.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/results

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Also, you should read

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/about.html

And become less uneducated. Hooray public information!

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
Rosine Denaja
Reevva
Why the ******** should someone be able to be elected with the support of only sixteen states? neutral He didn't even get the popular vote

Actually yes he did lol.
Number of states doesn't matter. Most of the states on your side are barely populated fields and hills.
Quote:

, meaning the vast majority of people didn't even want him. Its just that most of the people who voted for him live in states worth a huge a** amount of electoral votes.

Electoral votes are based on population you idiot lol.
No it isn't.
It's based on how many house members and congressmen a state has. And considering the fact that every state has two congressmen, that actually means that states like Alaska have three times as much power as they deserve.

And you can have your popular vote victory when I get my eight years of Bush term back.
Divine_Malevolence
Rosine Denaja
Reevva
Why the ******** should someone be able to be elected with the support of only sixteen states? neutral He didn't even get the popular vote

Actually yes he did lol.
Number of states doesn't matter. Most of the states on your side are barely populated fields and hills.
Quote:

, meaning the vast majority of people didn't even want him. Its just that most of the people who voted for him live in states worth a huge a** amount of electoral votes.

Electoral votes are based on population you idiot lol.
No it isn't.
It's based on how many house members and congressmen a state has.

Which is based on population.
Quote:

And considering the fact that every state has two congressmen, that actually means that states like Alaska have three times as mucm power as they deserve.

The senators are not based on population, they are irrelevant to the electoral college. State reps ARE based on population.

Quote:
And you can have your popular vote victory when I get my eight years of Bush term back.

I'm not celebrating the electoral college, I'm arguing complete morons who think the numbers are arbitrary and that Romney should have won because "LOOK, MORE RED" and "MONTANA IS HUGGGE, WHY DOES IT HAVE LESS VOTES THAN NEW JERSEY".

Perfect Knight

13,425 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Rosine Denaja

It's not an opinion, it's factually illiterate nonsense OR your opinion is that you literally think the size and number of states is more important than actual amounts of people in determining elections. In other words, NOT democracy, but some sort of insane land based government that only a complete moron would imagine up.

Again, with the name calling. You're really persistent with that when someone has an opinion differently than yours.

And I never said that the "size and number of states is more important...". I cleared that up, but you quoted me with another incorrect presumption of what I meant. Romney DID win more states. Obama won 16, and Romney won 34. Obama won fair and square. But again, Romney DID win more states than Obama. Not saying that Romney should win because of this (besides, I even said that in the other comment you quoted), because that would be rather silly since there are less people (thus me saying "population varies" ) in those states. You must have misinterpreted my newest post. And I guess you can be confused with my suggestion c, but really that wasn't what it sounded like--- you misinterpreted it, which is fine, but really, you don't need to continue attacking me because of your misinterpretation.

Again though, I don't really care by this point. The election is done and over with, and I see a problem with the system used. I don't care about "omfg this person won wtf how could they" anymore. I really don't. Though I DO see a problem with the system.

Those are my opinions. Learn to deal with them. I'm pretty sure your life won't be effected in any way because of what I think should be done.

This is my last comment to you, seeing as though you're unable to provide an argument without being completely rude about it. Have a nice day.

Fashionable Firestarter

Rosine Denaja
Actually yes he did lol.

Just an FYI, it's states like the one I live in that are nothing but "fields and hills" that produce your food. Err, scratch, the food we export to import food from places because our government is a bunch of idiots. Obama and Romney both.
Here is the misconception that the majority of people have when it comes to voting for the president. You're not voting for the president, you're voting for the electors. Since most states have a winner take all provision you're voting for entire groups of electors.

Also something to keep in mind, the current system is more fair to you than it was originally intended. Consider that at the start of country the public had no voice in choosing the president. In fact, until the 1820's the public vote wasn't even measured but in a handful of states.
Alan Pistachio
Rosine Denaja
Actually yes he did lol.

Just an FYI, it's states like the one I live in that are nothing but "fields and hills" that produce your food. Err, scratch, the food we export to import food from places because our government is a bunch of idiots. Obama and Romney both.

Yeah and my tiny 7 electoral state helps power the economic engine of New York City and the general Northeast Megalopolis.
What's your point.
system ain't broke

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
I would also like to point out that OP has a huge contradiction. Their bitching was that "oh no, popular vote". But the electoral college is decided based on population. Number of votes is based on how many people you have in the House + Senate, so each state has a minimum of 3 votes. You automatically get 2 and only 2 Senators, and you get at least 1 House Representative. Any more is based on the population of your state which is decided by the US Census (that's right kiddies, the Census is actually important).

The Electoral College was also established by the Founding Fathers as part of a compromise so just largely populated states wouldn't run everything because they had more people (back then they feared Virginia). So, the idea, is even if you don't have the support of the states with the most population, if you get enough support from the smaller states, you still win. This has mostly helped Republicans who generally get more of the lesser populated states which tend to have rural communities.

Of course, all of this is public knowledge. So yeah. Please actually read what the electoral college is before bitching about it.

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/about.html

Another bit, Winner Take All is actually a state issue. How your state decides to vote is mostly state by state. There are actually a handful of states that split votes. Generally these things are decided by the State's Constitution. If you don't like it, petition to your state that you want to change how they give their votes. Considering that many movements like this have failed though, you're not likely to get anywhere.

Final thought- Reason why Obama was behind in the popular vote when it was decided he won is because a lot of the Western states that generally vote Democrat were still counting their votes.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Amorous Vampire

Reevva
Why the ******** should someone be able to be elected with the support of only sixteen states? neutral He didn't even get the popular vote, meaning the vast majority of people didn't even want him. Its just that most of the people who voted for him live in states worth a huge a** amount of electoral votes.

How is this fair? In any way? Personally? I think the electoral college is broken, and must either be completely redone, or done away with entirely. By the way, I didn't support Romney or Obama. Hell I supported Gary Johnson. I just know a ******** up system when I see one, Romney should have won.

Inb4 people rage at me for this post because they're so damn happy about Obama getting another four years.

Actually, Obama now has the popular vote. So, you're wrong on that.

Also, its based on state size. Do you think it would be fair if 26 smaller states, consisting of a popolation a fourth of the size of the other 24 combined, would be enough to declare victory?

Obama won some of the biggest states. He deserves every bit of this win. Besides, Romney surrendered, so its decided.

In the end, the person who gets more votes, becomes the winner. That's how it goes.

Romney was never going to win, what with his lying mouth that could never settle on anything, and his incredibly homophobic VP.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff