Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Fatcat

30,875 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
low iq 111
i'm not sure what you're arguing for then

i feel pretty confident in my plans for education reform but i'm not a politician and basically have 0 influence in society so unless i wrote letters i don't think i could even change anything right now

i just b***h on forums and my blog

User Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ ♥
====================================== ♥ ~

Oh I wasn't arguing.
I was just sharing my thoughts and feelings and knowledge 8D
*I enjoy intellectual exchange.*
Also, if you want to, I added an edit to my last post.

~ ♥

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
NatsuNoYuki
Blood Valkyrie
I don't get it. :'(

User Image
~ ♥

Fraternities are notorious for being a group of party-centric, less intelligent members of the college population.

~ ♥

Eh, I think it depends on the fraternities. The professional fraternities (like pre-med, engineering, pre-law, etc) seem like they're far from being "less intelligent" and "party-centric" compared to the social fraternities since they have to maintain their image.

/offtopic

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
MinnieMay
I don't feel bad for people that say I want to go to school. Look at the price and say yeah I will pay that and in the end say I can't pay that some other person should have to pay for it. You went to school you wanted to go to school. That's all on you not me.

And yet other people are paying the government so one day your children can go to school. Same with other public facilities use. It's pretty irresponsible to say "I won't pay for other people" when other people are already paying for you.

Combative Businessman

Its Contagious
ZaedKai
Its Contagious
ZaedKai
Its Contagious
Romney needs to stop acting like he's just a great ******** guy and just hurry up and ******** lose.
It's ridiculous when CNN is telling me that romney was on the ball with the debate and just over ruling obama and being voted more so for most ******** likable???

The ******** is wrong with people. I guess wow. Sorry I get serious with presidential debates.

I mean... if you don't think Romney won that debate, you're looking through some seriously dark rose-tinted glasses. That said, you don't have a lot to worry about. Romney needs more than just tonight to overcome his disadvantage.

I know that, but CNN is just overly glamorizing Romney and it's just. Wow.
I know he won it, he killed it because obama was way way off and he needed to step his game up.
Maybe it's all a ruse and he'll destroy romney in the next debate. Or obama needs to step up his game.

I read so much of this stuff about romney and it's kinda ridiculous.

I can tell by the passion that you're pretty informed. X)
I'm sure if CNN glamorized Romney's win, I can only imagine what Fox is doing. I shut the debate off after it was finished since all the pundits have their political views and try to spin the debate their way.

At least you're rational about discussing the debate. In most political science literature, it's up to debate if the debates even matter. And Obama has two more to help his cause out. Don't fret too much. I'm a Romney supporter, and although I'm happy for the night, I'm not very confident about the war.

I always get over the top with debates and such, I just really like them and discussing each others view points and stands on certain topics.
They currently have a poll up on FOX showing who won the debate and so far romney's losing that one surprisingly. Fox is just going to have a field day with this.

I hope Obama really digs in deep about his views and is able to discuss them fully out without choking up or beating a dead horse or just staying on one stand point and constantly attacking that one. Point. I found it a bit annoying because he's just going after the whole trillion dollar cut and what not. He needed to move on, and talk more about his choices and finding flaws in his opponents statements.

If I were to be completely honest, I'd have to tell you I replied to your post to pick a fight with someone liberal, passionate, and irrational. Now that I know you're not irrational, I'm scared to continue. XD

I agree. Obama spent way too much time going for Mitt's things rather than stating his own side clearly and articulately in a way people can relate too. I think he was ill-prepared or "rusty" as some say. He looked thin to me too, which sounds pretty superficial but considering that most of the American public watching don't really care about substantive issues, is pretty significant. I think Romney came off as more presidential despite the smirk and his butting in for speaking time. Something tells me the majority of independents are more likely to let that go than Obama's distant looks and constant blinking. I very much doubt he won't have two great debates after this though. He's probably preparing for the foreign policy debate now.

Fashionable Fatcat

30,875 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Light Soprano
Eh, I think it depends on the fraternities. The professional fraternities (like pre-med, engineering, pre-law, etc) seem like they're far from being "less intelligent" and "party-centric" compared to the social fraternities since they have to maintain their image.

/offtopic

User Image
~ ♥

True.
(Forgot about those for a minute there.)

It's a stereotype that I'm sure most people have of them.
Stereotypes are okay as long as it doesn't lead to prejudice or discrimination.
I've had several "frats" in my pre-med classes who are definitely very intelligent and hard-working students.

~ ♥

I'm currently enrolled in college and honestly, I have refused to get any student loans. I won't lie, occasionally the thought has crossed my mind. But at the moment, I rather not sign up myself for a large debt just yet. My current goal is to transfer to a University but money is proving to be a huge challenge. I have a high enough GPA to get grants or financial aid, but I receive none due to the fact that my family "receives a high income." So everything I pay for comes straight out of my pocket, trust me when I say this, but I'm quite sure I've shed a couple of tears on the money I've been spending for education.

What people are forgetting is that as the economy gets worse, so does the gap between the rich and the poor expand. My family is part of the middle class and it seems we are slowly disappearing with that category. In the past, we could have lived off one paycheck for a while and save some of the money of the following paycheck. But now, it seems once the paycheck arrives, we need to use it to live by on just basic needs.

Not to mention the fact that it's hard to get a job to help my parents. I've applied so many times and most of the excuses I get is that I don't have much experience in the working field. Well, of course, I don't, seeing as no one would hire me.

Yet between the two, I would rather re-elect Obama. I haven't been following the campaign and debates fully, but from what I've seen and heard so far. Obama is my best bet in this situation.
AKB0048
MinnieMay
I don't feel bad for people that say I want to go to school. Look at the price and say yeah I will pay that and in the end say I can't pay that some other person should have to pay for it. You went to school you wanted to go to school. That's all on you not me.

And yet other people are paying the government so one day your children can go to school. Same with other public facilities use. It's pretty irresponsible to say "I won't pay for other people" when other people are already paying for you.

No one is paying for me to go I don't go right now. I am not talking about grade school or some public facilities. I am talking about the person that said yes I want to go for Art then find out they have no job for it at all. Some women's studies major that finds out the only job is teaching women's studies. Should I feel bad that you have to pay all of that back? Do I have to tell people to look for something that will get you a job in the end and not a pretty piece of paper that no one cares about.

Combative Businessman

Squ33ze M3

I'm currently enrolled in college and honestly, I have refused to get any student loans. I won't lie, occasionally the thought has crossed my mind. But at the moment, I rather not sign up myself for a large debt just yet. My current goal is to transfer to a University but money is proving to be a huge challenge. I have a high enough GPA to get grants or financial aid, but I receive none due to the fact that my family "receives a high income." So everything I pay for comes straight out of my pocket, trust me when I saw this, but I'm quite sure I've shed a few tears on the money I've been spending for education.
What people are forgetting is that as the economy gets worse, so does the gap between the rich and the poor expand. My family is part of the middle class and it seems we are slowly disappearing with that category. In the past, we could have lived off one paycheck for a while and save some of the money of the following paycheck. But now, it seems once the paycheck arrives, we need to use it to live by on just basic needs.

Between the two, I would rather re-elect Obama.

I respect everything you said; I just want to say one thing about something you mentioned. If you implied that the gap between the rich and the poor is expanding because the economy is getting worse, an argument can be made that the gap is expanding based on the natural evolution of our economy. It's a tough problem to solve, but I don't think taxing the wealthy is the way to solve it.
ZaedKai
Squ33ze M3

I'm currently enrolled in college and honestly, I have refused to get any student loans. I won't lie, occasionally the thought has crossed my mind. But at the moment, I rather not sign up myself for a large debt just yet. My current goal is to transfer to a University but money is proving to be a huge challenge. I have a high enough GPA to get grants or financial aid, but I receive none due to the fact that my family "receives a high income." So everything I pay for comes straight out of my pocket, trust me when I saw this, but I'm quite sure I've shed a few tears on the money I've been spending for education.

I respect everything you said; I just want to say one thing about something you mentioned. If you implied that the gap between the rich and the poor is expanding because the economy is getting worse, an argument can be made that the gap is expanding based on the natural evolution of our economy. It's a tough problem to solve, but I don't think taxing the wealthy is the way to solve it.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that fact. I've learned this before in some history classes and political science, but I suppose it slipped my mind. Thanks for adding that in, I completely agree with you with the natural evolution of our economy.

Although, taxing the wealthy solution has been implied by many, I'm quite sure there are more solutions out there to consider. It seems whenever this solution is brought up, it just causes a much more heated argument and debate among many.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
MinnieMay
No one is paying for me to go I don't go right now. I am not talking about grade school or some public facilities. I am talking about the person that said yes I want to go for Art then find out they have no job for it at all. Some women's studies major that finds out the only job is teaching women's studies. Should I feel bad that you have to pay all of that back? Do I have to tell people to look for something that will get you a job in the end and not a pretty piece of paper that no one cares about.

But people did pay for you to go. And people are you still paying for you now. Do you like having clean water? Someone else paid for that. Do you like not having rats in your food? Someone else paid for that. Do you like public transportation or freeways? Someone else paid for that.

Also, technical fields are overly saturated anyway. It's easy to say "get a major that'll get you paid", but there's pretty much no major that will guarantee you a good job unless you have good networking. I know plenty of people who got Bio or Chem degrees that had to go back to school and major in something else because there's no jobs in those fields either.

Ruthless Pirate

While many college students search for the next party to get drunk at or find themselves too preoccupied with their academics to care about world affairs, Washington has been busy crafting the most toxic piece of legislation since President Obama came into office – Obamacare. Even though it won’t “officially” be enacted until 2014, many of Obamacare’s provisions are in effect and are already wreaking havoc on our nation. Too bad most college students are trapped in their own protective bubbles to realize that their futures are already being torn apart by government bureaucrats.

Individual Mandate

First and foremost, the provision in Obamacare calling for an individual mandate should shock and terrify college students. Beginning in 2014, this provision will force all Americans to buy “government-approved health insurance,” which will cover products and services that not all Americans will want or need. Since we live in a society where we have the ability to buy products that we want and need, why on earth would any college student approve of “healthcare reform” that limits their freedom of choice? Looks like our president’s promise allowing us to keep our own health plans will not be fulfilled.

heres the link... http://thecollegeconservative.com/2012/07/18/obamacare-medical-misery-for-americas-college-students/

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Slayer Seven
While many college students search for the next party to get drunk at or find themselves too preoccupied with their academics to care about world affairs, Washington has been busy crafting the most toxic piece of legislation since President Obama came into office – Obamacare. Even though it won’t “officially” be enacted until 2014, many of Obamacare’s provisions are in effect and are already wreaking havoc on our nation. Too bad most college students are trapped in their own protective bubbles to realize that their futures are already being torn apart by government bureaucrats.

Individual Mandate

First and foremost, the provision in Obamacare calling for an individual mandate should shock and terrify college students. Beginning in 2014, this provision will force all Americans to buy “government-approved health insurance,” which will cover products and services that not all Americans will want or need. Since we live in a society where we have the ability to buy products that we want and need, why on earth would any college student approve of “healthcare reform” that limits their freedom of choice? Looks like our president’s promise allowing us to keep our own health plans will not be fulfilled.

heres the link... http://thecollegeconservative.com/2012/07/18/obamacare-medical-misery-for-americas-college-students/

Um... a lot of students need healthcare. Buying it through school is extremely expensive in most cases (my school it was $500 for two month period, and that was the cheapest plan they had).

"Freedom of choice"? You mean the freedom to be in a state of risk where if you got seriously sick or in an accident that you'd have a good chance of going broke? People don't refuse to buy health insurance because they don't want to. People don't buy it because they can't afford it. Making healthcare more affordable is a step in the right direction.

Most people get health insurance through employee benefits. But not all employers provide these benefits and some employers don't provide good enough benefits.

Combative Businessman

Squ33ze M3
ZaedKai
Squ33ze M3

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that fact. I've learned this before in some history classes and political science, but I suppose it slipped my mind. Thanks for adding that in, I completely agree with you with the natural evolution of our economy.

Although, taxing the wealthy solution has been implied by many, I'm quite sure there are more solutions out there to consider. It seems whenever this solution is brought up, it just causes a much more heated argument and debate among many.

Honestly, this is where the more interesting political debates happen. It's such a complicated issue because if you tax wealthy americans, you risk taxing them too much. (Many wealthy americans are business owners, so they'd pay the personal taxes and the corporate taxes) and that could lead, depending on the extent of the taxing, to job loss, and that's not really something we could afford in our current economy.

The big problem is the super wealthy. No one in the world needs more than a billion dollars to live (I can probably subsist for the rest of my life off that amount), and yet, you can't say the people who are billionaires didn't earn it. It's not moral for governments to ask billionares to fork over half their money, and that directly contradicts the American dream. It's such a tricky issue to figure out.

The thing I take hope in is the pledge a bunch of extremely wealthy people have signed recently, promising half their fortunes to charity upon their deaths. It just shows that not all rich people are evil.

Normal Student

theEmocarebear
User Image
User ImageUser Image

Considering Romney's earlier comments about education not being necessary for everyone, students would be rather dumb to vote for a man who doesn't readily support education. User Image

What next? Will he cut fundings for public schools as well?
I trust that man with our country about as far as I can throw him - which is not all.

Ruthless Pirate

AKB0048
Slayer Seven

Individual Mandate

Um... a lot of students need healthcare. Buying it through school is extremely expensive in most cases (my school it was $500 for two month period, and that was the cheapest plan they had).

"Freedom of choice"? You mean the freedom to be in a state of risk where if you got seriously sick or in an accident that you'd have a good chance of going broke? People don't refuse to buy health insurance because they don't want to. People don't buy it because they can't afford it. Making healthcare more affordable is a step in the right direction.
so your ganna let government decide that instead of the doctors you choose? because then it becomes an industry, and you will be shuffled through a long line to be flipped like burgers with poorly educated doctors because their pay will be reduced to minimum wage along with standards.... you know its also mandatory to be chipped with an rfid tracking device too right? srsy read the bill

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff