Welcome to Gaia! ::

Skilled Genius

eskAe
AKB0048
eskAe

Ever consider making your own lunch? It's probably way cheaper, not to mention better. When I was in high school the food was awful. Not to nit-pick your argument apart or anything. I guess the basic sentiment is that if we weren't paying for all these social problems, more people would be able to afford $2.50 for lunch.

No. That's not true at all. There's actually so much wrong with that statement that I don't know where to begin.

Yes, perhaps they could make their own lunches, but some families can't even afford this much. Yes, the food is awful, but when you're poor you don't get to be picky and you should be happy that there's even food for you to eat.

In fact, during the summer, a lot of places run programs to give food to these kids because quite literally, the school lunch is where they get their source of food.

It's kind of obvious that you're not really aware of how poor people are. Or how taxes work.

Quote:
Nearly 15 million children in the United States – 21% of all children – live in families with incomes below the federal poverty level – $22,350 a year for a family of four. Research shows that, on average, families need an income of about twice that level to cover basic expenses. Using this standard, 44% of children live in low-income families.

Be glad you're so rich that it doesn't even occur to you that the free or reduced lunch is how some people get by.

I live in the poverty level, so I'm well aware of how things are. Do you think it's a good thing that children are so dependent on school meals that they need them even when school is out? Is your solution to simply do more, without ever considering why things are the way they are? You're attempting to give a solution to symptoms rather than the cause, which is noble but not as effective. If these people can't even feed their kids, then they obviously have ******** up somewhere along the line.

Would you rather vote for Obama then? Ya'know with his ObamaCare that imposes eight new mandated taxes on the middle and lower class to pay for the insurance, whether or not you're healthy or even been to the hospital. Oh, and lets not for get to mention, if you don't pay they'll fine you $2500 for not paying and make you pay anyway. So if you can't afford it, guess what you're still ******** because you still have to pay.

Now if you understand Mitt Romney's plan, it's to make cuts now to manage the budget better. Because other wise things like Social Security will go bankrupt in the next half decade or so because of so many people getting benefits from it.

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
AKB0048
But since Clinton's era, there has been a law limiting how long you can remain on welfare and only three states that don't have state limits. Also, that's completely inaccurate that simply having a child makes you eligable for welfare or having more children gives you more money. I mean, I also know people who have children and were struggling and were denied by welfare. Furthermore, welfare in a lot of places does require you to either be actively working or working at least part-time.

My own brother is on disability and you get carefully interviewed pretty much every year. They watch his income, they send out a psychologist to make sure he's still disabled. And sometimes they'll try to pull bullshit and try to cut off his benefits by saying he's not. We had that when he said he wanted to get a driver's license. Trust me, we would love for him to be able to get hired and be able to live independantly, but for him that's 100% impossible. He can't manage money or social situations. He can't even do manual labor because he's not even developed enough to work with machinery.

And are you sure those people are purposely getting low-pay jobs? Because I'm sure anyone in their right mind would want more money and a better life style if they could. But some people have disabilities that will limit them from being hired, or they lack transportation, or they lack training/education/work experience, etc.

I don't know. Maybe I have a different point of view because I work in a low income neighborhood and I see a ton of people trying their best to get by, but they can't. I've also heard of people being unable to go to work or even send their children to school because they lack transportation. It could also be your state.

True, there have been restrictions, but it hasn't changed much for the people I know on welfare. But there are multiple types of welfare and they do work differently.
Having a child and making a certain income allows you to obtain it as long as you apply and all that. Normally it goes to single parents. And it's based on family size, so you DO get more for more children. It's meant to keep your family from starving and such. Hence a certain percent per child.
Yes, my aunt was forced to get a job back about.......I think 8 or so years ago so that she could keep getting welfare. Before that, she did nothing.

Your brother is on it for Disability. There's the difference. When it comes to single parent families with multiple children, it's less stringent. It is observed very rarely. Mostly done in the form of insuring you don't make more than the cap or else you are dropped.

I am DAMN sure. Some people do take lower paying jobs because they have to and they work hard to scrape by, this is true. I'm not saying everyone on welfare is lying. But I am saying that you claim it's a myth that people on welfare are lazy and don't work. That is bull-hockey. My aunt works at Walmart because she has to have a job. So she went with the easy route. She's been just a low level employee forever. My cousin, her son, started working at Walmart maybe 1 or 2 years before she did. He moved up the chain quickly and ended up running a whole department. He isn't lazy like her and he will vouche she's a no good person. She doesn't have any want to get a better job. And all of my dad's side are getting some sort of Food Stamps or Welfare and they are cracked out drug heads. They honestly couldn't have a job because they are so baked all the time, they can't function. Not that they want to. They are given enough to live in a crappy run down house in the middle of a Government paid housing area.
You clearly don't understand how some people think then. People don't always want better. Some are content with not having to work. They mooch. They get to sit home and do nothing and HEY! They get free money! Why would you ever want out of that situation? It's easy. Getting up every morning and going to work for what you have is hard. I don't want to be at work all the time. I would LOVE to sit at home and play videogames or draw or be out with friends. But I have ambition and would rather work for what I own than to be given it. That same drive and ambition is what people who abuse Welfare programs lack. That's why they don't want better. they'd actually have to work for it.

I understand what you are saying. And I'm glad you know those sorts of people. But I used to live right next to/in a 'Ghetto' section of East Tennessee and I can tell you not a single person in that block or the ones surrounding gave two shits about getting out of that situation or bettering themselves. Well, maybe one or two here and there, but the majority were fine with sitting around and getting handouts.
I think that it's not just my state, I think it's human nature. And you may be a much nicer person than me and may not have seen it yet.
I prefer him over Romen noddles anyday. PBP < Point blank period.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
DXSciz

True, there have been restrictions, but it hasn't changed much for the people I know on welfare. But there are multiple types of welfare and they do work differently.

Having a child and making a certain income allows you to obtain it as long as you apply and all that. Normally it goes to single parents. And it's based on family size, so you DO get more for more children. It's meant to keep your family from starving and such. Hence a certain percent per child.

Yes, my aunt was forced to get a job back about.......I think 8 or so years ago so that she could keep getting welfare. Before that, she did nothing.

Your brother is on it for Disability. There's the difference. When it comes to single parent families with multiple children, it's less stringent. It is observed very rarely. Mostly done in the form of insuring you don't make more than the cap or else you are dropped.

I am DAMN sure. Some people do take lower paying jobs because they have to and they work hard to scrape by, this is true. I'm not saying everyone on welfare is lying. But I am saying that you claim it's a myth that people on welfare are lazy and don't work. That is bull-hockey. My aunt works at Walmart because she has to have a job. So she went with the easy route. She's been just a low level employee forever. My cousin, her son, started working at Walmart maybe 1 or 2 years before she did. He moved up the chain quickly and ended up running a whole department. He isn't lazy like her and he will vouche she's a no good person. She doesn't have any want to get a better job. And all of my dad's side are getting some sort of Food Stamps or Welfare and they are cracked out drug heads. They honestly couldn't have a job because they are so baked all the time, they can't function. Not that they want to. They are given enough to live in a crappy run down house in the middle of a Government paid housing area.

You clearly don't understand how some people think then. People don't always want better. Some are content with not having to work. They mooch. They get to sit home and do nothing and HEY! They get free money! Why would you ever want out of that situation? It's easy. Getting up every morning and going to work for what you have is hard. I don't want to be at work all the time. I would LOVE to sit at home and play videogames or draw or be out with friends. But I have ambition and would rather work for what I own than to be given it. That same drive and ambition is what people who abuse Welfare programs lack. That's why they don't want better. they'd actually have to work for it.

I understand what you are saying. And I'm glad you know those sorts of people. But I used to live right next to/in a 'Ghetto' section of East Tennessee and I can tell you not a single person in that block or the ones surrounding gave two shits about getting out of that situation or bettering themselves. Well, maybe one or two here and there, but the majority were fine with sitting around and getting handouts.

I think that it's not just my state, I think it's human nature. And you may be a much nicer person than me and may not have seen it yet.

That is true. Welfare laws are actually pretty different from state to state. I don't doubt that there are people who abuse the system, just I don't think it's really as widespread as people say it is. Or, at least, I find it hard to believe that it is when I see a lot of families struggling to get by and were it not for some form of government aid, they'd be up the creek without a paddle.

However, I will add that my mother has been a single mom since I was about twelve and she has not re-married. And, as far as I know, she has never been on welfare... though she has been on unemployment. I've also been though a lot of different neighborhoods myself. I actually lived in a trailer park when I was young. Though, my family is kind of an exception. My mom started a small business and I've been helping her with that ever since I was young. I recognize not everyone is that fortunate.

I guess in the end, we're simply looking at the same situation from two different perspectives.

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
AKB0048
That is true. Welfare laws are actually pretty different from state to state. I don't doubt that there are people who abuse the system, just I don't think it's really as widespread as people say it is. Or, at least, I find it hard to believe that it is when I see a lot of families struggling to get by and were it not for some form of government aid, they'd be up the creek without a paddle.

However, I will add that my mother has been a single mom since I was about twelve and she has not re-married. And, as far as I know, she has never been on welfare... though she has been on unemployment. I've also been though a lot of different neighborhoods myself. I actually lived in a trailer park when I was young. Though, my family is kind of an exception. My mom started a small business and I've been helping her with that ever since I was young. I recognize not everyone is that fortunate.

I guess in the end, we're simply looking at the same situation from two different perspectives.

I'm unsure on it's spread as I haven't dealt with a variety of people on Welfare. I agree that there are a lot of families who really need it and are trying their best. Least I like to think so and that the people on Welfare I have come across are just the outliers I was unfortunate enough to know or meet.

Some people don't require it or don't go to it. I've been fairly poor all my life and my family has only once gone toward Government help. Which I think says a lot about the person's character. Welfare should be a last resort. That's very good that she was able to succeed in that endeavor.

True.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
DXSciz

I'm unsure on it's spread as I haven't dealt with a variety of people on Welfare. I agree that there are a lot of families who really need it and are trying their best. Least I like to think so and that the people on Welfare I have come across are just the outliers I was unfortunate enough to know or meet.

Some people don't require it or don't go to it. I've been fairly poor all my life and my family has only once gone toward Government help. Which I think says a lot about the person's character. Welfare should be a last resort. That's very good that she was able to succeed in that endeavor.

True.

Yeah. I can understand that there are some people who abuse the system like that, and in fact most states are taking movements to prevent it, but the stereotype that everyone's like that kind of irks me.

Golden Receiver

16,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100
  • Contributor 150
KityBloodstone
LovelyOverdrive
AKB0048
eskAe
what programs are currently keeping you alive?

I believe she specified public education (a lot of children actually rely on the free or reduced lunch programs as those are sometimes the only food they get to eat for that day) and food stamps.
Exactly,without reduced lunch I have to pay 2.50 everyday.

When I was in HS, I was on reduce lunch. For 1.25 I was able to eat breakfast at school, and for 2.25 I was able to have lunch. A lot of times my dinner was a sandwich, or ramon noodles. My mother and step father both worked full time jobs. But all the money was going to pay mortgage, gas, electric, car payments, etc. It was hard to have the money to do extra things. I always felt bad asking my mom for the money for my art classes. When I started as a 9th grader, the art fee was $10 a class. By the time I was a senior it had jumped to $20-$30 a class (depending on the class, sculpture and pottery was more due to the supplies).
With out the reduce lunch program, I might not have been able to eat all day until I came home. And even then, ramon isn't the most healthy lunch. If we cut this program, how many lower class families will suffer?
EBT/SNAP (as it's called in Michigan) is an excellent program. I am all for reform, keeping people who shouldn't qualify from qualifying. I work a part time job, with an 8 month old at home. My EBT takes ALOT of pressure off of us. I can buy his food and formula each month, and be able to make sure our lights/heat are kept on and rent is paid. What I don't understand is why Romney wants to take this away from the lower income families. The middle class is all but wiped out, why make it harder for families to feed themselves and pay their bills?

Just my lil random rant. Thank you for listening
Woah that's expensive.
eskAe
LovelyOverdrive
AKB0048
eskAe

I believe she specified public education (a lot of children actually rely on the free or reduced lunch programs as those are sometimes the only food they get to eat for that day) and food stamps.

Ever consider making your own lunch? It's probably way cheaper, not to mention better. When I was in high school the food was awful. Not to nit-pick your argument apart or anything. I guess the basic sentiment is that if we weren't paying for all these social problems, more people would be able to afford $2.50 for lunch.

Exactly. Making Lunch = $0. Buying Lunch = $$

Popular Smoker

4,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
old poetry
the whole system needs changing.
I'm tired of people sitting on their a**' for a living & living off people who work extremely hard just to pay for them.
I honestly pray obama isn't re-elected.

You clearly don't understand what the hell some people go through.
I hope you realize that some of those people, otherwise known as the "47%" are hard working individuals.
Actually, about 2% of those people are serving in our military and god bless them.
Then there's many of those in college/paying off their student loans.
And don't you dare say they aren't sitting on their asses either.
Sure, there are people who bypass the system, but the good majority clearly are hardworking people trying to get a job, or are close to making the 20k they need to qualify for federal income tax (Many are the college students/young adults).
I just don't understand how people can't get through the fact how hard people do work just to barely make it by.

6,925 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
AKB0048
eskAe

Probably meant other things like medicine, too.

Tipsy Receiver

iArchduke Franz Ferdinand
eskAe
LovelyOverdrive
AKB0048
eskAe

If these people don't even have enough money for dinner at night, do you think they have food to make and give to their kids for lunch? There's a reason they need the programs for when school is out.
It might not make a difference to people like us, but there are people living well below the poverty lines. They can't afford anything, and making lunch costs money, as you have to, i don't know... buy the food first?
Mitt all the way

Timid Gaian

I really wish either candidate would have an educational plan that made sense. NCLB was passed by Bush in his first term and has been a disaster, but nobody seems to want to change it.
NCLB is the reason why your school is in that state.

Vicious Sex Symbol

Obama and his proposed direction benifits me insanely more than Romney's will. I ran the numbers. It's as simple as that.
The Galactic Pretty Boy
iArchduke Franz Ferdinand
eskAe
LovelyOverdrive
AKB0048
eskAe

If these people don't even have enough money for dinner at night, do you think they have food to make and give to their kids for lunch? There's a reason they need the programs for when school is out.
It might not make a difference to people like us, but there are people living well below the poverty lines. They can't afford anything, and making lunch costs money, as you have to, i don't know... buy the food first?

I know plenty of poor people who sit on their butt not wanting to look for a job and expect the Government to just hand them money. Democrats are for "hand outs" and I'm against giving hand outs to people who don't try to work, or find a job. Yes I know that today it is hard to find any jobs but trying is better than not trying at all. "they must help them self before they can be helped" Read this quote, Learn this quote, Live this quote.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff