• Object of Affection 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Prince Ikari
Timeless Reference
Prince Ikari
Timeless Reference
Prince Ikari

Well can I ask what viewpoints you consider extreme by chance? As a conservative Republican I have my own ideas as to what is extreme on both my side and the other. I would not be surprised if being a lesbian is bad enough for her. That is the one thing I remember my mom saying would be unacceptable. That an interracial dating, though I think she is not so strict on that anymore given that I have been involved with those outside of my own race before. But families always have a hard time when a child comes out to a parent as gay. Most parents are not comfortable with the idea of that. And conservatives and liberals do have completely different views of the world and it fundamentally speaks to who we are as humans beings. It is why on a deeper level we choose to avoid one another and stick to our own kind. And as a conservative I know that liberal views of the world (or I should say modern liberal since my views are rooted in classical liberalism) do annoy me so I can kind of put myself in your family's shoes or your own and see why it divides you so much. I do see why you do not wish to bring it up. Your health is at stake if you let it get to you too much. I am not one to speak on the topic of gay marriage since I have never been for it and it was banned in my state two years before I was even at voting age so I cannot comment on that. But we all take very partisan and ideological positions on the issues that matter most to us so those are the issues that are going to cause the most tension among you and your family, so I would try and avoid those if at all possible. I have physical health problems and if I get too worked up I get sick so I sometimes have to avoid situations where there is going to be a lot of yelling back and forth. But as a conservative among a generation of young people mostly liberal, I know all about being overwhelmed before I can even make my point, and I know how hard it can be. It makes you wonder why even bother saying anything to begin with when you know you are going to be torn apart for your views. While I may not agree with the views of the other side I do respect that they are entitled to hold differing views from my own, and to try and reach a consensus when possible. While you and your family will never see eye to eye on the issues, you can all respect that whether anyone likes it or not you are on opposing sides and respect that everyone has their own take on the issues, and to try and be open when debating.

Thank you so much for being civil with me. It's people like you that make me not lump all C. Reps. Into one group. It also gives me hope that the next generation will be able to work out differences out with words and respect, then arguing and violence. Thank you.

Cute avvi btw. emotion_kirakira

You're very welcome. I do enjoy getting the chance to be civil with others. I hate when tempers flare and bring out the worst in everyone. I know that I have lost it before and said things I wish I had not when I get too involved in heated discussion. But I do hope that the next generation will be able to work out differences in a peaceful and respectful matter as well. It is the reason why the United States to me is the greatest country in the world. We have always come together despite our differences for the good of the American people. Without compromise our country never would have survived those early and crucial years. You're very welcome. And best of luck with your family.

Oh and thank you very much! heart
I do love this current avi. ^^

I beg to differ in it being the greatest county, no one country is better than the other. Except
maybe North Korea sweatdrop

I actually plan to be moving to England end of next year to be with my fiancee. She lives there. We'll have been together 3 years in ten minutes. emotion_kirakira

North Korea? gonk In North Korea the people are starving to death, while the government props up the military and further alienates it from the rest of the world. The wealthy elite in power are bleeding the people dry. Not too mention there is no free speech or democracy. Totalitarian communism is all that exists. How can a country like that be the greatest? gonk

England certainly sounds like an interesting place to move to. 3nodding My girlfriend lives in the neighboring state from mine. I ended up meeting her up here. I take it you met yours up here or on a similar site?

Ah, s**t! I made a mistake! I meant to word it that countries are far better than NK. *derp* sweatdrop
Sorry for the misunderstanding!

And I've visited there, and she's visited me. :3
We took this when she visited here.
See biggrin

Liberal Exhibitionist

16,750 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Timeless Reference

And sweetie, dont worry about it too much. On my fathers side of the family, I'm the only democrat. On my mothers. I have maybe 2 other cousins and my mother who are Democrats. I told my family straight up. i wont push my views on then if they agree to do the same. And if they didn't like it they didn't have to talk to me or even consider me family and I would accept it however much it hurt me. But i have a great family who agreed with me and treat me the same as they always have, my dad says he disowns me when i get all democraty, but he wants a grand-baby and i'm his only blood child so he just jokes around about it . But yeah, i would suggest leaving quickly.

Questionable Browser

Yikes. I bet it's rough being the only voice for your side of the argument, especially if the other end is really condescending about it. D:

My parents and I are on the same page, thankfully, but I think they would've left me alone regardless of my stance. We don't discuss politics all that often, but I imagine it'll come up more often now that I'm finally old enough to vote.

Precious Bunny

11,850 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
-Summer Cherries-
Yikes. I bet it's rough being the only voice for your side of the argument, especially if the other end is really condescending about it. D:

My parents and I are on the same page, thankfully, but I think they would've left me alone regardless of my stance. We don't discuss politics all that often, but I imagine it'll come up more often now that I'm finally old enough to vote.

It's really frustrating. But, I've been keeping to myself a lot, so works out I guess.

Conservative Victory

Timeless Reference
Prince Ikari
Timeless Reference
Prince Ikari
Timeless Reference
Prince Ikari

Well can I ask what viewpoints you consider extreme by chance? As a conservative Republican I have my own ideas as to what is extreme on both my side and the other. I would not be surprised if being a lesbian is bad enough for her. That is the one thing I remember my mom saying would be unacceptable. That an interracial dating, though I think she is not so strict on that anymore given that I have been involved with those outside of my own race before. But families always have a hard time when a child comes out to a parent as gay. Most parents are not comfortable with the idea of that. And conservatives and liberals do have completely different views of the world and it fundamentally speaks to who we are as humans beings. It is why on a deeper level we choose to avoid one another and stick to our own kind. And as a conservative I know that liberal views of the world (or I should say modern liberal since my views are rooted in classical liberalism) do annoy me so I can kind of put myself in your family's shoes or your own and see why it divides you so much. I do see why you do not wish to bring it up. Your health is at stake if you let it get to you too much. I am not one to speak on the topic of gay marriage since I have never been for it and it was banned in my state two years before I was even at voting age so I cannot comment on that. But we all take very partisan and ideological positions on the issues that matter most to us so those are the issues that are going to cause the most tension among you and your family, so I would try and avoid those if at all possible. I have physical health problems and if I get too worked up I get sick so I sometimes have to avoid situations where there is going to be a lot of yelling back and forth. But as a conservative among a generation of young people mostly liberal, I know all about being overwhelmed before I can even make my point, and I know how hard it can be. It makes you wonder why even bother saying anything to begin with when you know you are going to be torn apart for your views. While I may not agree with the views of the other side I do respect that they are entitled to hold differing views from my own, and to try and reach a consensus when possible. While you and your family will never see eye to eye on the issues, you can all respect that whether anyone likes it or not you are on opposing sides and respect that everyone has their own take on the issues, and to try and be open when debating.

Thank you so much for being civil with me. It's people like you that make me not lump all C. Reps. Into one group. It also gives me hope that the next generation will be able to work out differences out with words and respect, then arguing and violence. Thank you.

Cute avvi btw. emotion_kirakira

You're very welcome. I do enjoy getting the chance to be civil with others. I hate when tempers flare and bring out the worst in everyone. I know that I have lost it before and said things I wish I had not when I get too involved in heated discussion. But I do hope that the next generation will be able to work out differences in a peaceful and respectful matter as well. It is the reason why the United States to me is the greatest country in the world. We have always come together despite our differences for the good of the American people. Without compromise our country never would have survived those early and crucial years. You're very welcome. And best of luck with your family.

I beg to differ in it being the greatest county, no one country is better than the other. Except

I actually plan to be moving to England end of next year to be with my fiancee. She lives there. We'll have been together 3 years in ten minutes. emotion_kirakira

North Korea? gonk In North Korea the people are starving to death, while the government props up the military and further alienates it from the rest of the world. The wealthy elite in power are bleeding the people dry. Not too mention there is no free speech or democracy. Totalitarian communism is all that exists. How can a country like that be the greatest? gonk

England certainly sounds like an interesting place to move to. 3nodding My girlfriend lives in the neighboring state from mine. I ended up meeting her up here. I take it you met yours up here or on a similar site?

Ah, s**t! I made a mistake! I meant to word it that countries are far better than NK. *derp* sweatdrop

See biggrin

Oh! Well that is certainly one big relief! I've had a lot of disagreements with the other side of the years but I was like WTF when I thought you were saying NK was better than other countries. ._. To me the two worst are NK and Iran. The NK is the result of the far-left and Iran the result of the far-right.
But no worries though. At least you caught the mistake. ^^;

Well lucky you! whee
It must be so awesome to get to meet others from so far away.
I can only dream of ever meeting the woman I love up here.
Was that photo done by a professional place because it is really good in quality? o.o

Precious Bunny

11,850 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Prince Ikari
Timeless Reference
Prince Ikari
Timeless Reference
Prince Ikari

See biggrin

Oh! Well that is certainly one big relief! I've had a lot of disagreements with the other side of the years but I was like WTF when I thought you were saying NK was better than other countries. ._. To me the two worst are NK and Iran. The NK is the result of the far-left and Iran the result of the far-right.
But no worries though. At least you caught the mistake. ^^;

Well lucky you! whee
It must be so awesome to get to meet others from so far away.
I can only dream of ever meeting the woman I love up here.
Was that photo done by a professional place because it is really good in quality? o.o

They were done by Olen Mills if you've ever heard of them. I was surprised with how open-minded the photographers all were biggrin And I know I'm lucky. It's amazing in England. Even if I did get stuck in London for a few hours. She lives in Manchester. London sucks x.x

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

My mother doesn't make this a big deal. She gives no s**t about politics and doesn't bother with them, but my grandfather really enjoys putting fuel in flames. He gets heated about anything regardless of where it's brought up (usually on the fly, when you're talking about cookies he's reminded of the gas prices - exaggeration, but hopefully you get my point) and is so far-leaning that I would swear he could fall over at any second.
(The same can be said if he was heavily left-leaning, he'd still fall over without his cane. /bad jokes ahoy)

That said, I'm registered Libertarian in his house and hold mostly liberal views where 99.9% of his are conservative. He absolutely despises everything that is not Republican, thinks that the GOP is godly and that their s**t doesn't stink, and actually said to me, "You don't belong in this family" when I told him I wasn't Repub (and not voting for Mittens).

I feel for you.
Timeless Reference
I'm a liberal democrat, my entire family is a conservative republican.

I'm not saying who's voting for who. But you have to understand my anxiety of living in this house burning_eyes

You think you've got it tough, try being the only one in the family without a clear political choice. I don't like Democrats or Republicans. Part of my family is hardcore Republican, and loves to lecture about it. Another part is hardcore Democrat, and loves to talk about it. I don't agree with any of them.

Arguing never turns out well. I've found it best just to not talk about politics/religion/ etc at all. Even if they bring it up. I just don't say much and move to some other topic. Thus, I've become a blank slate in my family. The Republicans think I agree with them, and the Democrats likewise. I just smile and let them keep thinking so. It's no skin off my back as long as there's a certain amount of peace in the family.

Aged Gaian

8,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
Timeless Reference
I'm a liberal democrat, my entire family is a conservative republican.

I'm not saying who's voting for who. But you have to understand my anxiety of living in this house burning_eyes

That sucks sad
While I am not Democrat I am a liberal republican if that makes sense so I can't share what I think with a lot of my family. Though not to the point that you do. Fortunately, my family is really good about not push their beliefs on others.

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

I hate being a fiscally conservative moderate in a super liberal Gaia online community. emotion_awesome

Distinct Informer

Shirlox
I hate being a fiscally conservative moderate in a super liberal Gaia online community. emotion_awesome

I am bound to agree with you, this place makes me feel like a Bush fanboy.

Precious Bunny

11,850 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Shirlox

Then why are you even on the site? If it makes you hate it so much, why continue?

6,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
its the worst cat_lol

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Timeless Reference
Shirlox

Then why are you even on the site? If it makes you hate it so much, why continue?

Because politics isn't everything? neutral

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces