Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Werewolf

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Profitable 100
Im doing this on my phone right now, so forgive me any spelling errors, etc.

I have hypothyroidism, which essentially means my body runs very slowly. My metabolism is slow, and I don't lose weight very easily.

I have tried cardio before (with a little weight training) and had poor results. I didn't lose weight, but I did maintain the weight I was at.

I have read that weight training can help you lose more weight than cardio. I know you need to mix cardio in with it, and I will be. I have a lab/greyhound mixed dog and I have to walk her about two to three miles a day to keep her from going bonkers. I'm also changing my diet so that'll help too.

TL;DR

Can weight training help you lose more weight than cardio? What would you recommend for me to start with? Where can I find some good reliable exercises to do?

Thank you!
1 I am not recommending anything. 2 you are in a tough spot, but building muscle should set the idle of your metabollic rate a little higher since your body has to feed the muscle, in other words it will keep your weight more stable, my mass index is way over the governments recomendation( not fat ...) but you probbaly will not have to worry about that sort of gain. Other then that you need to do strenuos exercise everday to keep your body burning of any fat it may consume. since I am a student I find myself going on and off the cycle(this has little to do with muscle building except for gainning double weight.) Further as you already know you should take prescribed amount of prescribed medication if any has been prescribed. When lifting you should start at a low medium strain to warm up then add weight till you get to the maxium you can lift for that day then drop the weight and increase the reps. you should only do 15 reps at maxium, if you want to increase endurance increase the number of sets.

And please use discretion, you do not have to look to hard for the horror stories of accidents involving heavyweights.
Yes, weight training can help you lose weight, well, fat anyway. The more lean muscle mass you have on your body, the higher your basal metabolic rate will be in order to feed that muscle, meaning your daily requirement of calories for upkeep increases. This makes it easier for you to maintain a deficit so that your body will use your fat stores for energy.
Hope this helped smile

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
Meklet Zinasanas
Im doing this on my phone right now, so forgive me any spelling errors, etc.

I have hypothyroidism, which essentially means my body runs very slowly. My metabolism is slow, and I don't lose weight very easily.

I have tried cardio before (with a little weight training) and had poor results. I didn't lose weight, but I did maintain the weight I was at.

I have read that weight training can help you lose more weight than cardio. I know you need to mix cardio in with it, and I will be. I have a lab/greyhound mixed dog and I have to walk her about two to three miles a day to keep her from going bonkers. I'm also changing my diet so that'll help too.

TL;DR

Can weight training help you lose more weight than cardio? What would you recommend for me to start with? Where can I find some good reliable exercises to do?

Thank you!

sprinting is a b***h but it works too. look at those track athletes!

Quotable Hunter

2,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
You were doing the right thing by doing cardio, but its only half of the work.
To lose weight, you have to eat right and control your calories.
I could run 50 miles a day and eat 50,000 calories and still gain weight.
So, it comes down to your caloric intake.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Here's what you need to do. Get in touch with a doctor that specializes in sports medicine and explain to him your situation. He'll be able to put you on a more specialized plan.

That being said, I want to encourage you to lift weights. Doing so will supplement your cardio and increase your metabolic rate and natural nutrition partitioning. It will absolutely help. Also, make sure you're eating healthy and not too little. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff