Welcome to Gaia! ::

Profitable Giver

5,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
Do both, if you do both it's 15% more effective than just doing purely weight lifting or cardio

Wealthy Capitalist

Hate cardio

Dapper Ladykiller

iDream version 2
That Queen
yeah but do toning not heavy lifiting

Bogus. Heavy lifting helps give a person (especially girls) a toned, sculpted body, male and female. For females, they'll look more sculpted, not bulgy bigger. Lifting with light Barbie dumbbells will not, I repeat, will not "tone."

I agree with this. Im a female and I regularly lift over 150lbs. But Im 125lbs, I still have fat on my butt, NO six pack, and for all definitions of the word, I look feminine. Unless you have a hormone imbalance, you will get foxy from high weights, not bulky.

Cardio DOES improve cardiovascular health, but men are much more likely to develop heart-disease than us estrogen-laden ladies. And I get crazy out of breath and sweaty from lifting, so its not like its an easier workout or anything. I generally do 15 minutes of cardio for every 30-45 that I lift, but not at the same time.

If you want a good lifting lady rolemodel, meet Staci.
What your doctor said is somewhat true.
To truly stay fit and get a nice body, you need to do both.

Doing weight lifting will give you muscle. More muscle means more calories you burn without doing anything. Plus, it'll give you a nice toned look. Don't worry about becoming huge like female body builders. Women are not meant to have huge muscles because we don't produce enough testosterone. (seriously, those female body builders are probably using some hormone help)

Cardio is what will help you shed the fat faster. You need to get your heart rate up, and cardio is perfect for that immediate boost of calorie burning. Weight lifting does get your heart rate up a bit, but it's only for a couple of minutes really.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
NinjAHHHHH v2
Do both, if you do both it's 15% more effective than just doing purely weight lifting or cardio

lolwut. where did u get that?

cardio is way more important than weight lifting. as you get older keeping your cardiovascular system is much more important than trying to build musclular strength.

doing both is good but cardio is like way over the top expecially in the long run.

Profitable Giver

5,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
arlo235
NinjAHHHHH v2

cardio is way more important than weight lifting. as you get older keeping your cardiovascular system is much more important than trying to build musclular strength.

doing both is good but cardio is like way over the top expecially in the long run.

I'm guessing your ottermode. I'm not saying to just do mainly weight lifting, expand your mind,

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
NinjAHHHHH v2
arlo235
NinjAHHHHH v2

I'm guessing your ottermode. I'm not saying to just do mainly weight lifting, expand your mind,

rofl i had to look up ottermode. i never heard that before. lol well im 5 10 180-184 pounds (depending on if i pooped or ate). about 10-15 percent body fat? i never checked it but yeah whatever.

lol i squat 315. umad? its not much but its probably more than u
Hey Hey Beautiful
I got into weight lifting because my best friend is into it. My doctor also said it's better than cardio, burns more calories, and builds muscle. I don't want to be ripped, just healthy.

Is it truly better than cardio?

Studies have shown that short duration high intensity work outs are more effective than long duration low intensity work outs. Case in point, you don't see super fit people walking for 10 hours as a work out.
Ryuto Nagi
Caffeine Shadow
cardio is far better because lifting only targets certain muscles while cardio like swimming gets everything at once
Agreed but an intense workout on a large muscle group like the Back and the Legs burns just as much calories as a full body cardio like swimming would.
And I could be wrong but anaerobic exercise (like resistance) has the benefit of burning calories long after the exercise was finished depending on the intensity of the workout.
That's why bodybuilders have to eat slow digesting protein like casein before sleep so the body could feed off of that and not their muscle while asleep.

Or just do compound exercises and don't worry about stupid s**t like that.
Cogent Dream
Hey Hey Beautiful
I got into weight lifting because my best friend is into it. My doctor also said it's better than cardio, burns more calories, and builds muscle. I don't want to be ripped, just healthy.

Studies have shown that short duration high intensity work outs are more effective than long duration low intensity work outs. Case in point, you don't see super fit people walking for 10 hours as a work out.

Ther's contention that, say, HIIT-style sprinting is any better than jogging for half an hour. I certainly think it is, but I've read quite a bit of opposing evidence. Personally, Id just go for what works for you. I do sprinting, since it's far more comfortable for me than jogging.
The Sky Does Not Bow
Cogent Dream
Hey Hey Beautiful

Ther's contention that, say, HIIT-style sprinting is any better than jogging for half an hour. I certainly think it is, but I've read quite a bit of opposing evidence. Personally, Id just go for what works for you. I do sprinting, since it's far more comfortable for me than jogging.

Definitely. Although, sometimes switching things up in itself will be a benefit as your body adapts to one particular routine.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
iDream version 2
biceptron

You lose muscle and bone mass in your later years, and weightlifting helps preserve those precious bone and muscle mass. I guess it's totally cool to be a frail and weak elderly person suffering from muscle atrophy?

lol retard. muscle atrophy occurs when your body is at a catabolic state. cmon it might be harder for older people to be healthy but its all about their diet. if you eat healthy you will be healthy. and what if you have joint problems or something? then they could swim or something. dont mess with me bro i know what im talking about
biceptron
iDream version 2
biceptron

You lose muscle and bone mass in your later years, and weightlifting helps preserve those precious bone and muscle mass. I guess it's totally cool to be a frail and weak elderly person suffering from muscle atrophy?

lol retard. muscle atrophy occurs when your body is at a catabolic state. cmon it might be harder for older people to be healthy but its all about their diet. if you eat healthy you will be healthy. and what if you have joint problems or something? then they could swim or something. dont mess with me bro i know what im talking about

Muscle atrophy is always occurring. It just happens at different rates depending on the level of exercise you get. Being healthy is not just dependent on diet. In no way does having a better diet prevent muscle atrophy. Elderly people who do not participate in regular exercise also are quite susceptible to decreases in bone density (osteopenia/osteoporosis).

Overall, this thread is kind of silly. In terms of which is better out of weight lifting and cardio depends on your own goals. Weight lifting itself seems to be described pretty vaguely here as well. Weight lifting does not have to be associated with body builders etc. Weight lifting can also be used in cardio training. Whatever you do should be a combination of some form of resistance training, as well as cardio in order to get cardiovascular gains, retaining acceptable muscle strength and bone density.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
val_owI
biceptron
iDream version 2
biceptron

Muscle atrophy is always occurring. It just happens at different rates depending on the level of exercise you get. Being healthy is not just dependent on diet. In no way does having a better diet prevent muscle atrophy. Elderly people who do not participate in regular exercise also are quite susceptible to decreases in bone density (osteopenia/osteoporosis).

Overall, this thread is kind of silly. In terms of which is better out of weight lifting and cardio depends on your own goals. Weight lifting itself seems to be described pretty vaguely here as well. Weight lifting does not have to be associated with body builders etc. Weight lifting can also be used in cardio training. Whatever you do should be a combination of some form of resistance training, as well as cardio in order to get cardiovascular gains, retaining acceptable muscle strength and bone density.

nvm

im just gonna do what i do and everybody else can do what they want to do lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff