Welcome to Gaia! ::

Weightlifting does not burn more calories. In order to burn calories, your heart rate must constantly be beating at a high rate. Weightlifting doesn't provide that benefit.

Shadowy Prophet

It's all about you and what you want. If you like the way your body is, yeah, doing cardio and eating a balanced diet is all you need. If you want to look like Jessica Biel, you're going to want to start a weightlifting routine.

You don't need to weightlift to be healthy or look fit. My friend and I are two sides of a coin. I weightlift six days a week, run, and do yoga. He just sticks to yoga and rides his bike everywhere. We're both healthy enough to play a good game of soccer.

Dangerous Poster

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Evaaan
Oh wow, there is so many ******** retards here that don't know what they're talking about or they preach bro-science.

Basically,

Weightlifting will burn more calories than cardio generally, also, the more lean body mass you have (muscle) the more calories you will burn at rest.

The only difference with cardio is that it trains your cardiovascular endurance (your heart).

So technically your doctor is completely correct. Although some cardio is advise-able just to keep your heart healthy.

Are you insane???
Cardio burns way more calories then weightlifting. Last time i checked running keeps your heart rate up while you rest when after doing reps, Weightlifting is lower in heart rate compared to running.

Tipsy Millionaire

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan
Oh wow, there is so many ******** retards here that don't know what they're talking about or they preach bro-science.

Basically,

Weightlifting will burn more calories than cardio generally, also, the more lean body mass you have (muscle) the more calories you will burn at rest.

The only difference with cardio is that it trains your cardiovascular endurance (your heart).

So technically your doctor is completely correct. Although some cardio is advise-able just to keep your heart healthy.

Are you insane???
Cardio burns way more calories then weightlifting. Last time i checked running keeps your heart rate up while you rest when after doing reps, Weightlifting is lower in heart rate compared to running.

....Shut up.

Weightlifting burns MORE calories than cardio. End of.

Dangerous Poster

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Evaaan
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan

Basically,

Are you insane???

....Shut up.

Youve been lifting for like what a year? I have been lifting and running for 6 yrs. You have no idea what your talking about. To lose weight you have to burn calories, approximately 3500 for one pound. And if your weightlifting your adding weight, but cardio burns it while not adding weight. Your school needs to give you a refund on your degree because you dont know s**t.

Dangerous Poster

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
iDream version 2
That Queen
yeah but do toning not heavy lifiting

Bogus. Heavy lifting helps give a person (especially girls) a toned, sculpted body, male and female. For females, they'll look more sculpted, not bulgy bigger. Lifting with light Barbie dumbbells will not, I repeat, will not "tone."

Lifting low weight but high reps burns fat, and burning fat tones the body. For women lifting high weight and low reps will make you bigger. And i know this since i know 3 women who are training for body building.

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
Hey Hey Beautiful
I got into weight lifting because my best friend is into it. My doctor also said it's better than cardio, burns more calories, and builds muscle. I don't want to be ripped, just healthy.

Is it truly better than cardio?

Cardio is better for your heart and builds endurance. Weight lifting builds strength and muscle, but it does NOT burn more calories. That is false. For the same amount of time spent doing moderate cardio, cardio burns WAY more calories. People make a big deal of the post exercise oxygen consumption calories, meaning that you continue to burn calories at a higher rate after you've stopped strength training. While this is true, research shows that this number is actually very small. Expect to burn like 30 extra calories for the rest of the day.

It all comes down to what your goals are. To lose fat or build endurance and cardiovascular health, do cardio. To build strength and muscle, lift weights. Or you can get the best of both worlds and do both.

Tipsy Millionaire

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan

Basically,

Are you insane???

....Shut up.

Youve been lifting for like what a year? I have been lifting and running for 6 yrs. You have no idea what your talking about. To lose weight you have to burn calories, approximately 3500 for one pound. And if your weightlifting your adding weight, but cardio burns it while not adding weight. Your school needs to give you a refund on your degree because you dont know s**t.

Lol, you're ******** thick! Every single study shows that weightlifting burns more calories than cardio you ******** jumped up little s**t. You know absolutely ******** all compared to me. You reckon you have to burn 3,500 calories to burn 1lb? Lol, you're so ******** stupid...

Here are some studies I found, I suggest you read every single one to prevent yourself from getting any dumber, afterwards I expect an apology too.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Weight-Training-Can-Burn-More-Calories-Than-Cardio-8367792
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/295718-does-lifting-weights-burn-more-calories-than-cardio/

Checkmate.

You may have been lifting for 6 years dude, but that does not mean you're correct in what you're saying.

Dangerous Poster

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Evaaan
Damn your a retard, two out of three of those links say cardio burns more calories. I run half-marathons and marathons, plus my parents and friends run ultramarathons. They have a lot more experience in this and they all agree that cardio triumphs weightlifting in calorie burning. Your just some bodybuilding musclehead who doesnt know your a** from your face.

Second article: "Cardio is the most basic thing you can do when it comes to burning calories."
Third article: "By session, cardiovascular workouts clearly burn more calories than weightlifting exercise."

Maybe you should focus on learning how read then building your body, dumbass.

Tipsy Millionaire

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan
Damn your a retard, two out of three of those links say cardio burns more calories. I run half-marathons and marathons, plus my parents and friends run ultramarathons. They have a lot more experience in this and they all agree that cardio triumphs weightlifting in calorie burning. Your just some bodybuilding musclehead who doesnt know your a** from your face.

Second article: "Cardio is the most basic thing you can do when it comes to burning calories."
Third article: "By session, cardiovascular workouts clearly burn more calories than weightlifting exercise."

More intelligent than you by a long shot..

I would love to be a keyboard warrior like you, but I have better things to do.

All I'm gonna say is I'm right, you're wrong...in everything.

Dangerous Poster

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Evaaan
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan

Yes, because the bachelors degree in mechanical engineering is just for show. It doesnt mean i have an IQ of 138. I am a keyboard warrior, but i can kick your a**. Your always going to be wrong. I will admit that weightlifting burns calories after the workout because of the whole 48 hrs thing. but not enough if someone runs every day.

Tipsy Millionaire

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan

Yes, because the bachelors degree in mechanical engineering is just for show. It doesnt mean i have an IQ of 138. I am a keyboard warrior, but i can kick your a**. Your always going to be wrong. I will admit that weightlifting burns calories after the workout because of the whole 48 hrs thing. but not enough if someone runs every day.

You may not instantly burn as many calories as someone who runs, but when you weightlift you also increase muscle mass, which intern will allow you to burn more calories at rest.

That's cute reciting your qualifications and IQ..

If you're that smart, go do something with your life.

Dangerous Poster

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Evaaan
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan
Hayden Demauri
Evaaan

You may not instantly burn as many calories as someone who runs, but when you weightlift you also increase muscle mass, which intern will allow you to burn more calories at rest.

That's cute reciting your qualifications and IQ..

If you're that smart, go do something with your life.
I am doing something, I'm getting a REAL job.

Beloved Hunter

I lift M/W/F then I do cardio /T/T/S, and then rest on Sunday...it gets ya fit all around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff