Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi everyone!

I'm curious to learn what kind of warming up you guys do. I especially want to know what kinds of things you do for shoulders. Hmm and for the sake of discussion-- what else do you do to prevent injury?

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
I like to do some quick dynamic movements for the area to be worked.
MaxKon

A lot of my friends jog to warm up. But I feel like what you do is more effective. Thanks for the response by the way :p
just do anything that gets your heart rate up! you dont wanna stretch ice cold muscles
what i do is:

knee ups (30 sec)
run in place (30 sec)
run in place knees out (30 sec)
jumping jack (30 sec)
mini mary catherine (30 sec)
arm circles - i do this on days i work my arms or when im stretching. what you do is hold your arms straight out side to side and move them in small circles, kind of like youre washing two far away plates (xD). what you try to do is take the tension out of your back and feel it mostly in your shoulders. if youre not used to it, it will probably burn a bit. try going forward, back, wide forward, then wide back for about 15 sec ea

this works for me quite well, but you will need to find what works for you. make sure it gets your blood pumping!

you probably already know this but if you work the shoulders youre going to be working nearby muscles too, so you wanna stretch those. here are some stretches you can try:

head rolls (get rid of all the tension in your neck!) - drop your head directly to the side then forward roll it to the opposite side. keep good posture but dont force it. try 'pointing fingers to the ground'.
shoulder rolls- roll shoulders forward and backwards
hand clasps front/back- clasp your hands together criss-cross so your palms are touching. gently squeeze your shoulders together and hold rounding the back a little. then clasp your hands behind you, drop them to your bum, gently try and squeeze your shoulder blades together
arm stretch(idk what this one is called)- place an arm directly out in front of you. bring the bicep to your neck with the other arm either holding your shoulder or in a locking elbow position
overhead stretch- lift and arm above your head, placed the lifted arms hand on your back. grab your elbow with the free arm and you should feel a stretch thru the whole area :3

i tried finding videos to help demonstrate these better so if ive explained them badly feel free to ask or im sure there is someone else who will know what im talking about and be able to elaborate better ; -;

dynamic stretching like maxkron said is great too so try shakers to get loose or huggers (think swinging your arms back and forth to hug yourself alternating left/right arm on top). just dont do too much static stretching before a workout cause that can hinder your performance during the workout

remember to keep breathing! breathing is essential to loosening up your muscles
and dont push yourself too hard. do your best and forget the rest!
oh! dont forget to do a little stretching after your workout too

(im not an expert or anything this is just all stuff i learned in p90x)
Ujiyasu
just do anything that gets your heart rate up! you dont wanna stretch ice cold muscles
what i do is:

knee ups (30 sec)
run in place (30 sec)
run in place knees out (30 sec)
jumping jack (30 sec)
mini mary catherine (30 sec)
arm circles - i do this on days i work my arms or when im stretching. what you do is hold your arms straight out side to side and move them in small circles, kind of like youre washing two far away plates (xD). what you try to do is take the tension out of your back and feel it mostly in your shoulders. if youre not used to it, it will probably burn a bit. try going forward, back, wide forward, then wide back for about 15 sec ea

this works for me quite well, but you will need to find what works for you. make sure it gets your blood pumping!

you probably already know this but if you work the shoulders youre going to be working nearby muscles too, so you wanna stretch those. here are some stretches you can try:

head rolls (get rid of all the tension in your neck!) - drop your head directly to the side then forward roll it to the opposite side. keep good posture but dont force it. try 'pointing fingers to the ground'.
shoulder rolls- roll shoulders forward and backwards
hand clasps front/back- clasp your hands together criss-cross so your palms are touching. gently squeeze your shoulders together and hold rounding the back a little. then clasp your hands behind you, drop them to your bum, gently try and squeeze your shoulder blades together
arm stretch(idk what this one is called)- place an arm directly out in front of you. bring the bicep to your neck with the other arm either holding your shoulder or in a locking elbow position
overhead stretch- lift and arm above your head, placed the lifted arms hand on your back. grab your elbow with the free arm and you should feel a stretch thru the whole area :3

i tried finding videos to help demonstrate these better so if ive explained them badly feel free to ask or im sure there is someone else who will know what im talking about and be able to elaborate better ; -;

dynamic stretching like maxkron said is great too so try shakers to get loose or huggers (think swinging your arms back and forth to hug yourself alternating left/right arm on top). just dont do too much static stretching before a workout cause that can hinder your performance during the workout

remember to keep breathing! breathing is essential to loosening up your muscles
and dont push yourself too hard. do your best and forget the rest!
oh! dont forget to do a little stretching after your workout too

(im not an expert or anything this is just all stuff i learned in p90x)

Oh awesome thanks for the detailed response :]
I think you did a good job of explaining yourself haha

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
xsunriseangelx
MaxKon

A lot of my friends jog to warm up. But I feel like what you do is more effective. Thanks for the response by the way :p
Yes, jogging is somewhat useless, it will get your heart rate up, but it will only get blood flowing to your legs, nothing for your arms.
Also no static stretches to warm up surprised
MaxKon
xsunriseangelx
MaxKon

Yes, jogging is somewhat useless, it will get your heart rate up, but it will only get blood flowing to your legs, nothing for your arms.

Wonder why so many people do static stretches before working out. Just tradition or something?

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
xsunriseangelx
MaxKon
xsunriseangelx
MaxKon

Wonder why so many people do static stretches before working out. Just tradition or something?
Yeah, it used to be advised, but recent research found that it increased chance of injury, so it's no longer advised.
I sometimes do a few minutes of cardio, like 5-10. Then I just do a light weight set.

Dedicated Winner

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
so here's what i do:
1. 100 push ups
15 second break
2.deadlift 25 times 30kg
15 second break
3.Rear delts 15 times 18 kg
15 second break
4. Squat 25 times 25kg smile

Fashionable Gaian

15,350 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100
Everything that I plan to do during my workout I do with lighter weights/versions first. And it's enough for me really.

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
As long as you don't lift heavy weights cold, it's fine. The purpose of warming up is to make sure your muscles aren't too shocked by the weight so that you don't hurt yourself. Some people like to do some cardio to get their blood flowing and their muscles warm, which is fine. I just lift with steadily increasing weight. For example, I will start out benching 45x5, then steadily add weight in 30-50lbs increments or so until I get to my working weight.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
xsunriseangelx
Hi everyone!

I'm curious to learn what kind of warming up you guys do. I especially want to know what kinds of things you do for shoulders. Hmm and for the sake of discussion-- what else do you do to prevent injury?

to warm up shoulders i do light weight rotator cuff exercises. but before i do anything i usually jog for like 5 minutes till i break a sweat. it warms me up. i usually stretch after my workout or after i take a shower. and dont overtrain muscles! that is what many people do with muscles and they injure themselves.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
MaxKon
xsunriseangelx
MaxKon

it warms up your whole body lolol. not just ur legs.

Dangerous Gekko

7,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
xsunriseangelx
Hi everyone!

oh and another thing, your rotator cuff isint really a strong muscles. i think it has mostly ligaments and stuff so dont go too heavy on them. just do light weight high reps. many ppl ignore this and they just strictly train shoulders and stuff. training ur rotator cuffs really helps u with gaining strength!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff