Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Exhibitionist

19,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Hey guys. smile

This year I'm training for a half marathon on May 6th and then in late August I'm doing a tough mudder.

I was wondering what kind of strength training other Tough Mudders or general strength training enthusiasts are doing?

I think mostly I need to work my core and upper body because my legs and butt are strong as all get out. I do plenty of squats/lunges/ and other lower body things.
What's a tough mudder?
Tough mudder is a pretty long event. I would suggest endurance over strength, depending on your strength levels. I would suggest some basic strength training if you're a beginner. Bodyweight stuff is fine in my opinion, and also a good way to ease into endurance training once you know you have enough basic strength, because you're doing exactly the same thing with more reps.

Just make sure you do the full body for tough mudder. Don't skip on things like pull ups and push ups just because they're hard. Find progressions if you need to.

Once again, make sure you start doing some endurance training for the legs. Having good strength won't necessarily mean you'll have good endurance.

Hilarious Exhibitionist

19,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Flamboyant Cannibal
What's a tough mudder?

http://toughmudder.com/

Hilarious Exhibitionist

19,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
val_owI
Tough mudder is a pretty long event. I would suggest endurance over strength, depending on your strength levels. I would suggest some basic strength training if you're a beginner. Bodyweight stuff is fine in my opinion, and also a good way to ease into endurance training once you know you have enough basic strength, because you're doing exactly the same thing with more reps.

Just make sure you do the full body for tough mudder. Don't skip on things like pull ups and push ups just because they're hard. Find progressions if you need to.

Once again, make sure you start doing some endurance training for the legs. Having good strength won't necessarily mean you'll have good endurance.

Thanks for the really detailed reply!

I'm definitely going to do as much core and shoulder/back stuff as I can because I think that's my weakest area. We have some huge hills here with a super steep grade- Pittsburgh is the proud owner of the world's steepest hill- so I've been working on walking up those as fast as I can.

I'm nervous but I have a few months to get this butt kicked into gear.
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
What's a tough mudder?

Oh, I've heard of stuff like this. I kind of want to do one. I don't know the specifics of this race but I'd assume you wouldn't need much actual strength and you'd need more endurance and maybe a little agility.

Hilarious Exhibitionist

19,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
What's a tough mudder?

Oh, I've heard of stuff like this. I kind of want to do one. I don't know the specifics of this race but I'd assume you wouldn't need much actual strength and you'd need more endurance and maybe a little agility.

Yeah. I'm definitely working on endurance. The good thing is I'm doing atleast one race a month from now until the Tough Mudder in August and that includes at least 2 half marathons.

Im most nervous about climbing the 10 foot walls I think.
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
What's a tough mudder?

Yeah. I'm definitely working on endurance. The good thing is I'm doing atleast one race a month from now until the Tough Mudder in August and that includes at least 2 half marathons.

Do you run every day?
What inspired you to do all these races? And are you fast lol? I mean could you place?
And how do you climb the 10 foot walls?

Hilarious Exhibitionist

19,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
What's a tough mudder?

Do you run every day?
What inspired you to do all these races? And are you fast lol? I mean could you place?

Yeah I run pretty often. Not a lot every day usually. Typically I run 20-60 minutes and do strength training. I think what inspired me is I used to be almost 300 lb and once I lost a ton of weight, it got me thinking that I shouldn't waste it by just sitting around when there are people in wheel chairs who would dream about getting up and running.

I'm not fast at all. lol I can't do half marathons in under 10 minute miles. To place most people do like, under 7 minute miles.

I think most people help each other, so like, you may have someone lift you up high enough for you to grab the top of the wall and use those pull up skills to pull yourself up and over.
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
What's a tough mudder?

Do you run every day?

Yeah I run pretty often. Not a lot every day usually. Typically I run 20-60 minutes and do strength training. I think what inspired me is I used to be almost 300 lb and once I lost a ton of weight, it got me thinking that I shouldn't waste it by just sitting around when there are people in wheel chairs who would dream about getting up and running.

I'm not fast at all. lol I can't do half marathons in under 10 minute miles. To place most people do like, under 7 minute miles.

I think most people help each other, so like, you may have someone lift you up high enough for you to grab the top of the wall and use those pull up skills to pull yourself up and over.

Like weight training or like bodyweight? How much weight did you lose and how?
And I wanna see that lol. How many pullups can you do?

Hilarious Exhibitionist

19,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal

Do you run every day?

Several years ago I had a miscarriage and took it out on myself. So that's when I gained it but I lost the weight in about a year, I'm about 190-ish but I've always been curvy- I'm almost the exact measurements of Christina Hendricks. I just lost it by eating healthy and I LOVE to bike so I biked for about 2 hours a day.

What do you want to see? lol It was a long night yesterday- I was in a movie and the day started at 11 am and ended at 3 am.. by the time I got to bed it was like 5 am. So I'm a bit brain dead today. lol

Right now? Like.. half a pull up. lol I work at a gym though so I've been training to do better.
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal

Do you run every day?

Several years ago I had a miscarriage and took it out on myself. So that's when I gained it but I lost the weight in about a year, I'm about 190-ish but I've always been curvy- I'm almost the exact measurements of Christina Hendricks. I just lost it by eating healthy and I LOVE to bike so I biked for about 2 hours a day.

What do you want to see? lol It was a long night yesterday- I was in a movie and the day started at 11 am and ended at 3 am.. by the time I got to bed it was like 5 am. So I'm a bit brain dead today. lol

Right now? Like.. half a pull up. lol I work at a gym though so I've been training to do better.
Well losing 110 in a year is great. You should be proud of yourself. How tall are you? And yeah, people have many different builds. Weight is just a number; it doesn't really mean anything. Who's Christina Hendricks lol?
I want to see people go over the 10ft wall. And yeah, I couldn't fall asleep til almost 5am last night too but I slept in real late today lol.
And lol you gotta get those pullups! I tell everybody that because pullups simply the most awesome thing lol. I feel like a monkey on the bar.

Hilarious Exhibitionist

19,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal

Do you run every day?

Well losing 110 in a year is great. You should be proud of yourself. How tall are you? And yeah, people have many different builds. Weight is just a number; it doesn't really mean anything. Who's Christina Hendricks lol?
I want to see people go over the 10ft wall. And yeah, I couldn't fall asleep til almost 5am last night too but I slept in real late today lol.
And lol you gotta get those pullups! I tell everybody that because pullups simply the most awesome thing lol. I feel like a monkey on the bar.

I'm about 5'7" I think. But my cup size is 36G so I joke that I carry half my weight there.

Christina Hendricks: http://www.fansshare.com/gallery/photos/435966/Christina-Hendricks/

I actually ran about 2 miles today at the gym and started actively doing assisted pull ups. I figure I have 8 months so even if every week I'm able to just get 5 lb less "assist" then I'll be getting where I need to be. Plus usually people help each other for Tough Mudder.

I wish I was a little monkey! I really hope I can do well with this race this year.
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal

Do you run every day?

I'm about 5'7" I think. But my cup size is 36G so I joke that I carry half my weight there.

Christina Hendricks: http://www.fansshare.com/gallery/photos/435966/Christina-Hendricks/

I actually ran about 2 miles today at the gym and started actively doing assisted pull ups. I figure I have 8 months so even if every week I'm able to just get 5 lb less "assist" then I'll be getting where I need to be. Plus usually people help each other for Tough Mudder.

I wish I was a little monkey! I really hope I can do well with this race this year.

Haha, that probably accounts for a lot!
I'd figure Christina Hendricks is probably smaller than you though, right?
Well you definitely seem ambitious with it. I'm sure you'll get there. How much assist do you use now?
And nah, being a monkey would be kind of gross lol. You'll do well; don't worry about it.

Hilarious Exhibitionist

19,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal
Orgasmatronical
Flamboyant Cannibal

Haha, that probably accounts for a lot!
I'd figure Christina Hendricks is probably smaller than you though, right?
Well you definitely seem ambitious with it. I'm sure you'll get there. How much assist do you use now?
And nah, being a monkey would be kind of gross lol. You'll do well; don't worry about it.

We're actually freakishly similar. She has bigger feet than me, but otherwise, we wear the same size, she's a 38DDD which since I worked at a bra store back in the day I know that is the equivalent of what I wear, we both have a 30" waist. The only difference is her hips are about a 39" and I'm probably 42".

This site says it, too but the grammar is awful :http://www.dontbelieveus.com/christina-hendricks-height-weight-measurements/

Lol right now my assist is embarrassing. I probably have about a 165 lb assist, but I am pretty ambitious with anything when I put my mind to it. lol

What about you? Do you have any goals you're working towards?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff