Welcome to Gaia! ::

Im pretty atheletic already as Ive been running (currently) 3-5km a day on average and have been going to the gym 5 times a week. i eat healthy too =) but i believe mountain hiking/climbing is a completely new experience for the human body to take. so i was wondering if there are any Hikers here who have done preparations before and if so what kind.

I have taken into account strength training, especially the legs and my core and yes i have also started planning out weight training on my back as well. Are there anything else I have to prepare in terms of exercise regime? What about diet?

Thanks in advance =)

Gracious Raider

We do trail runs a lot for PT. Just hydrate before, wake up in the morning and get to it
The best way to prepare yourself for a hike is to... hike. Start off with short distances and small elevation gains and work your way up. Eventually you can start timing yourself and adding weighted packs. You seem like you have a good athletic foundation already, so just get out there and do it.

Here's a good website for finding trails near you (assuming you live in the US):
http://www.localhikes.com/

Also meetup.com is a great way to find local hiking groups. I'm part of Hudson Valley Hikers in NY and we travel all over the world for hiking/adventure trips.

One other thing: hiking isn't just about athletic ability. Educate yourself on proper gear, buy some trail maps, read some books on wilderness survival. It's crucial, even for small trips.

Familiar Explorer

3,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Start claiming land in the woods/mountains for yourself, where you think you will not be bothered. Build a garden, 1 or several small farm plots, with these, you will be able to will forth food and medicine by applying your mind and body to the earth. Hauling dirt, gardening tools, and potted plants is where the exercise is. If you want to unlimited yourself, the first step is connecting with the earth. Choosing your plants is like choosing your friends, and by loving the earth (and your friends), love and nutrition will come back to you. it helps to have good friends that understand and support you.

The current working class system uses your natural caring intuition for the planet and social manipulation to trick you into thinking you have to care about this working class system in order to survive on earth. The truth is, your greatest health will be achieved when you root your body into the earth (instead of an externalized system build on greed).

Think of yourself as a wireless power transformer. Energy from the universe is being gathered in your body, you then exert said energy back into the world, by internalizing your power into the earth and yourself instead of exporting your energy into consumer society and the working class system you are empowering yourself instead of some invisible dudes in suits.

This is gaia, you are a part of mother earth.

You are being controlled with very simple logic that plays with what is left of your survival instincts, spiritual misguidance is just another method of keeping you unplugged from the earth and plugged into the system.

Good luck kittens~

TL;DR
Consumer society ruined spirituality and agriculture, if you taking these things back into your own hands will reap you serious health benifits. My suggestion is to be completely rouge about this; find plots of land protected by levels of physical exertion normal beings would not be willing to undergo. You can build your own system of survival and spirituality. Its mentally and physically liberating.

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
How high are you going? if it is only a km up, no need to worry, just plod the incline at your own pace until you build strength. However if you are going into higher altitudes that is a whole new ball game. Contact your local mountain climbing organisation. My local climbing spot is about 800m up and about a 6km track, it takes me about 2 hours return smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff