Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Hello, fellow gaians!

Last thursday I decided working out again since I have too much free time in my hands.
I decided to take a cardio lesson on youtube and successfully made it through the full 30 minutes for the begginner's lesson! Hooray! smile

Still, I have some questions I think you can help me with.

1. How long should I wait in between work outs, due to sore muscles?

My muscles are still in pain since that day (I'm on the second day of soreness) because I haven't exercised this hard for the last 4 years! I don't want to hurt my muscles exercising everyday.
I'm mostly sore on my legs and butt, and my boyfriend told me I should try to work out every different area (for example, today I do mostly legs and tomorrow I'll do torso and arms).

2. What's the most appropriate clothing to work out? Should I be wearing fresh clothing or will something warmer bring more benefits?

I also tried my best when exercising, which made me sweat a little bit. I usually don't even drop a sweat. And what's funny is that I tend to exercise fully clothed. Yet this time I opted for shorts and t-shirt and sweated.
I know sweat is just water, like a cooling system, but I don't know which are the benefits from it.

Thanks in advance smile

Gracious Raider

I workout five days a week, resting on the weekends. My legs are worked Tuesday with deadlifts and Friday is leg day, so they're usually a bit sore most of the week. But I'd recommend three days a week with a day or so in between and yes, working different muscles.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
1. I like to use Layne Norton's analogy of the garbage man to address this issue. Imagine you're a garbage man. You go to work your first day and you sling garbage cans until you go home. The next day you wake up incredibly sore. Do you think you would call in to work and say you can't come in? Of course not, you'd get right back at it, and eventually you wouldn't get sore anymore. That said, your boyfriend is right too. You don't build muscle by working out, you build it by recovering from working out. So switching body parts on consecutive days allows your sore muscles to rest and recover.

2. Just wear whatever is comfortable.

5,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Handsome Dynamite, I think that's a good plan! I'll build one for my own!

Wofdude87, that's a great analogy smile It sounds logic! But I think I might start slowly and keep switching exercises for a full range of benefits from working out!

I think I might stay with the normal work out outif because I don't want to "cook" inside the clothing. If I sweat, it mean my body temperature is too hot, there's no need to add more heat to it!

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
CheesecakeOfAwsome
Handsome Dynamite, I think that's a good plan! I'll build one for my own!

Wofdude87, that's a great analogy smile It sounds logic! But I think I might start slowly and keep switching exercises for a full range of benefits from working out!

I think I might stay with the normal work out outif because I don't want to "cook" inside the clothing. If I sweat, it mean my body temperature is too hot, there's no need to add more heat to it!

Don't ignore shin-splints though, they can lead to stress fractures.

Timid Tycoon

14,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
CheesecakeOfAwsome
Hello, fellow gaians!

Last thursday I decided working out again since I have too much free time in my hands.
I decided to take a cardio lesson on youtube and successfully made it through the full 30 minutes for the begginner's lesson! Hooray! smile

Still, I have some questions I think you can help me with.

1. How long should I wait in between work outs, due to sore muscles?

My muscles are still in pain since that day (I'm on the second day of soreness) because I haven't exercised this hard for the last 4 years! I don't want to hurt my muscles exercising everyday.
I'm mostly sore on my legs and butt, and my boyfriend told me I should try to work out every different area (for example, today I do mostly legs and tomorrow I'll do torso and arms).

2. What's the most appropriate clothing to work out? Should I be wearing fresh clothing or will something warmer bring more benefits?

I also tried my best when exercising, which made me sweat a little bit. I usually don't even drop a sweat. And what's funny is that I tend to exercise fully clothed. Yet this time I opted for shorts and t-shirt and sweated.
I know sweat is just water, like a cooling system, but I don't know which are the benefits from it.

Thanks in advance smile

Soreness is caused by muscles tearing from working out too hard, you should break for as long as the muscles ache because you don't want to injure them more. Usually it will only take a day or two for them to heal. After your muscles have torn a few times your body gets more resistant and it will happen less and less, but if you do an insanely long and good workout you will still probably get aches and pains.

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
1. i agree with separating out your muscle groups. I usually do chest/back one day, arms the next day, legs/abs the next, shoulders the next,, etc etc, that way... even though your legs are sore, you can still work out a different part of your body!

2. I like to wear light clothing... I see some people at the gym like to keep their hoodies and stuff on to sweat more.. but i get hot just looking at them. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff