Welcome to Gaia! ::

For the people lifting weights up and putting them back down, do you have any specific goals you want to achieve? Do you train more for strength or aesthetics? Also, post your stats & workout routines!

My gym journal.

I myself lift weights to increase my strength, and I've hit some new PR:s since about a week back.

Since I started lifting I put on a decent amount of volume, and I'm hoping that my strength gains will be linear.

A comparison pic from when I barely hit the gym, to a more recent one from just a few months ago.

User Image

EDIT:

This thread is also for asking questions, posting tips, discussing meals and such. So feel free to post anything related!
My stats (in kg):

Bench press - 110 kg

Deadlifts - 130 kg

OHP - 60 kg

1 legged smith squats - 95 kg

My routine:

Back

- Chin ups

- Bent over barbell row

- One arm dumbbell row

- Lat pulldowns

- Seated cable rows

- Deadlifts

- Lateral side pulldowns (machine)

- Straight arm pulldowns

- Cable crunches

Chest

- Flat bench press

- Incline bench press

- Close grip bench press

- OHP (narrow grip)

- Dips

- Flyes (incline)

- Flyes (flat)

Biceps & triceps

- Chin-ups (Weighted)

- Barbell curls

- EZ-bar curls

- Seated triceps press

- Tricep pushdowns

- Bench dips

Shoulders & traps

- DB shoulder press

- Lateral raises

- OHP (wide grip)

- Upright rows

- Front DB raises

- Barbell shrugs

Legs

- 1 legged smith squats

- -..- Leg extensions

- -..- Leg curls

- -..- Calf raises
      noticeable improvement, but nothing to be in awe of.

Keep going, though!

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Roger Waters
For the people lifting weights up and putting them back down, do you have any specific goals you want to achieve? Do you train more for strength or aesthetics? Also, post your stats & workout routines!

My gym journal.

I myself lift weights to increase my strength, and I've hit some new PR:s since about a week back.

Since I started lifting I put on a decent amount of volume, and I'm hoping that my strength gains will be linear.

A comparison pic from when I barely hit the gym, to a more recent one from just a few months ago.

User Image

Hey! Congrats on the amazing transformation - well done!

Of all the things I have learned in my time at the gym, strength training/weight lifting is probably by far my favorite thing. I never knew how motivating it is to be able to lift weight, and I was never strong enough to try until recently. I used to be morbidly obese, so weight lifting wasn't even in my vocabulary. Now, I cannot imagine a week without it! I train to feel and be stronger - for me, it is almost a form of meditation to lift weights. I just get in this mental zone where I tune everything out but me and the weights.

My goal is actually to be able to deadlift 320 lbs or what I used to weigh. I am doing pretty well with that - I can lift 240-260 lbs. now on my deadlift, which has me super excited. I'll get that 320 yet! biggrin

Be well and keep lifting like you mean it!
Sisky

User Image

Angelic Blob

lol I'm weak.
I would like to be tone, but I am just too mushy.

congrats on your lifting though.

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Bunai
lol I'm weak.
I would like to be tone, but I am just too mushy.

congrats on your lifting though.

Well, you can start weight lifting and work up! Keep building up the amount of weight you can lift and before long, you'll start to see tone biggrin

- Sisky
siskataya
Roger Waters

My gym journal.

User Image

Hey! Congrats on the amazing transformation - well done!

Of all the things I have learned in my time at the gym, strength training/weight lifting is probably by far my favorite thing. I never knew how motivating it is to be able to lift weight, and I was never strong enough to try until recently. I used to be morbidly obese, so weight lifting wasn't even in my vocabulary. Now, I cannot imagine a week without it! I train to feel and be stronger - for me, it is almost a form of meditation to lift weights. I just get in this mental zone where I tune everything out but me and the weights.

My goal is actually to be able to deadlift 320 lbs or what I used to weigh. I am doing pretty well with that - I can lift 240-260 lbs. now on my deadlift, which has me super excited. I'll get that 320 yet! biggrin

Be well and keep lifting like you mean it!
Sisky

User Image

Thanks!

I agree totally, being able to hit the gym has become more and more of a lifestyle for me, and knowing that I gain strength after every visit motivates me even more. smile

Nice! Most meatheads in my gym can barely lift over 220 lbs, let alone 240!
I live out in the woods and could not go to a gym if I wanted to, due to responsibilities at home- BUT! I'm in amazing shape. Pushups are fun, lunges make me walk faster, walking on my toes while cooking in the kitchen keeps my legs thin, and pinch-gripping bricks while taking a walk, are only a few of the things I throw into my day.

Chop wood, climb trees, balance yourself on the railroad track, and try not to fall off.
Play "stick tag"/ AKA sword-fighting. : D

But no, as far as pumping real iron, no. I use the bench-press down the road every so often, but I rarely go over 100 pounds (I weigh 135-150pounds, 5'8" tall)

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Roger Waters

Thanks!

I agree totally, being able to hit the gym has become more and more of a lifestyle for me, and knowing that I gain strength after every visit motivates me even more. smile

Thanks for the nice comments! And you know, I saw you posted about not being able to do squats because of a prosthetic leg. Not so fast my friend! You can do one-legged squats called pistols. I have to do these things with my trainer, and they are hard, but so good for balance. You can start out holding onto a door frame or a wall for balance, and learn the move until you can do it without support. Google "pistol squats" and you'll see what I mean biggrin

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Ghaudly
I live out in the woods and could not go to a gym if I wanted to, due to responsibilities at home- BUT! I'm in amazing shape. Pushups are fun, lunges make me walk faster, walking on my toes while cooking in the kitchen keeps my legs thin, and pinch-gripping bricks while taking a walk, are only a few of the things I throw into my day.

Chop wood, climb trees, balance yourself on the railroad track, and try not to fall off.

But no, as far as pumping real iron, no. I use the bench-press down the road every so often, but I rarely go over 100 pounds (I weigh 135-150pounds, 5'8" tall)

Awesome! I have a friend who calls the outdoors "God's Gym" XD You can do many of the same things you'd do in a gym with stuff around the house and yard. Good for you for using what you have to make your own workout space. And I do calf raises whenever I am waiting in a line somewhere - people look at me funny, but I don't care. It's good for gaining more balance!

Keep on being great biggrin
Sisky
siskataya
Roger Waters

Thanks!

Thanks for the nice comments! And you know, I saw you posted about not being able to do squats because of a prosthetic leg. Not so fast my friend! You can do one-legged squats called pistols. I have to do these things with my trainer, and they are hard, but so good for balance. You can start out holding onto a door frame or a wall for balance, and learn the move until you can do it without support. Google "pistol squats" and you'll see what I mean biggrin

I've actually considered trying one-legged squats, but I never really wanted to risk anything haha. smile But I'll be sure to try it out this week, since I really need to put more leg work into my schedule.
Ghaudly

Do you mind sharing some of your cardiovascular and weightlifting routines. I'm trying to get into better shape myself lol. i use to lift heavy now I'm all about form and repititions smile
JM-Big
Ghaudly

Do you mind sharing some of your cardiovascular and weightlifting routines. I'm trying to get into better shape myself lol. i use to lift heavy now I'm all about form and repititions smile

Long duration held isometric body-weight exercises are a great cardiovascular workout.
Example, I'll pick an exercise every few weeks, and slowly increase the duration of static held positions. I clocked myself at holding a halfway pushup for 165 seconds all at once, and a 160 second horse stance.

It takes a lot of heart-work to hold isometric poses for long durations. The key is to keep breathing normally at all times. When you get shaky, you know you've held a long isometric contraction.

I do lots of various pushups, clap pushups, and held pushups, because all of them affect muscles in different ways.

Same for lower body, eccentric, plyometric, and isometric exercises, when all combined over a period of time, build a very lean and athletic body.

Ghaudly
Ghaudly
JM-Big
Ghaudly

Long duration held isometric body-weight exercises are a great cardiovascular workout.
Example, I'll pick an exercise every few weeks, and slowly increase the duration of static held positions. I clocked myself at holding a halfway pushup for 165 seconds all at once, and a 160 second horse stance.

It takes a lot of heart-work to hold isometric poses for long durations. The key is to keep breathing normally at all times. When you get shaky, you know you've held a long isometric contraction.

I do lots of various pushups, clap pushups, and held pushups, because all of them affect muscles in different ways.

Same for lower body, eccentric, plyometric, and isometric exercises, when all combined over a period of time, build a very lean and athletic body.

Ghaudly

So you will do like a push up then hold yourself in the push up position for about 160 seconds, then go down, repeat for as long as your body can hold? Same with pull ups? I'll have to give all these workouts a try. Seems very useful. Plus I'm not looking to build muscle for show, more to use it for strength, endurence, and speed.
JM-Big
Ghaudly
JM-Big
Ghaudly

Ghaudly

So you will do like a push up then hold yourself in the push up position for about 160 seconds, then go down, repeat for as long as your body can hold? Same with pull ups? I'll have to give all these workouts a try. Seems very useful. Plus I'm not looking to build muscle for show, more to use it for strength, endurence, and speed.

I'll hold it halfway, with no locked joints. You won't reach 160 seconds the first time, unless you're already a beast. Static holds are quite different than pumping iron - and it builds a lot of strength on slow twitch muscle fibers. So, you can switch it up each week, adding reps, and adding more time to your holds.

Bruce Lee did isometric holds, and a number of other things - But his power rack allowed multiple variations of numerous isometric holds, so yes, doing pullup static holds will effectively work you out too.

And what you can do is start at a 30 second hold, and either increase it each week, or when you feel you've recovered. And only go up by 5 to 10 seconds at a time.

I don't believe in working until your muscles give out. If you start to get shaky, or wobbly, you're done.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff