Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pyris's Wife

Beloved Conversationalist

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Yo bicept!

I wanted to come back and share with you, I think I figured out what my problem (or a big part of it) with the planks was for me; I'm doing it at the end of a set of Arm workout and I think by that time my arms are just really tired and rubbery.

Today, I took a little walk and stretched my arms out a little before doing it, and withstood altternating two minutes a lot better!

Also, I've been keeping up this routine for two weeks already so that may have helped.

To help me keep motivated, I have made a thread in ''Success Stories'' and will be keeping track of my progress over there. Just something else to ''tie into my personality'' to keep me going.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
If you lift heavy a** weights for low reps you body will even out much more quickly. Everyone starts off with uneven muscles but that'll change if you start lifting seriously.

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Wolfdude87
If you lift heavy a** weights for low reps you body will even out much more quickly. Everyone starts off with uneven muscles but that'll change if you start lifting seriously.

You know, I've been eyeing my weights and thinking it might be time to step up a little bit. Doing my Arm reps have been rather easy lately. Thanks for the insight! I'll keep it in mind!

(Nice Halloween picture, by the way!)

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Crinis
Wolfdude87

You know, I've been eyeing my weights and thinking it might be time to step up a little bit. Doing my Arm reps have been rather easy lately. Thanks for the insight! I'll keep it in mind!

Thank you! And best of luck. I think one common misconception about weight lifting is based on the number of reps one should do. 5 rep sets are the best for strength gain, high rep sets are best for increasing size but not necessarily strength. For example, when I deadlift, or squat, or bench press I go for the 5 rep range in order to increase my strength. When I work on my biceps, triceps, or other some of the other muscles that aren't directly related to the 3 core lifts. I'll do drop sets from anywhere around 20-40 reps per set. e.g. Rows at 160lb for 10 reps, 120 for 10 more, 85 for 10 more, and 55 for yet another 10 reps. This serves to increase the size of my back muscles in order to help me gain the aesthetic I'm looking for. Where as when I squat it's usually something like 425lb for like 5 or 6 reps tops because I'm just going for strength. Just make sure to keep that form tight!

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Wolfdude87
Crinis
Wolfdude87

Thank you! And best of luck. I think one common misconception about weight lifting is based on the number of reps one should do. 5 rep sets are the best for strength gain, high rep sets are best for increasing size but not necessarily strength. For example, when I deadlift, or squat, or bench press I go for the 5 rep range in order to increase my strength. When I work on my biceps, triceps, or other some of the other muscles that aren't directly related to the 3 core lifts. I'll do drop sets from anywhere around 20-40 reps per set. e.g. Rows at 160lb for 10 reps, 120 for 10 more, 85 for 10 more, and 55 for yet another 10 reps. This serves to increase the size of my back muscles in order to help me gain the aesthetic I'm looking for. Where as when I squat it's usually something like 425lb for like 5 or 6 reps tops because I'm just going for strength. Just make sure to keep that form tight!

Dang! I'd think I'm a long way from that! But it gives me an idea that I'm surely in the right direction. I gave up ''counting'' after a while, I'm the kind of person that her mind wonders when doing just one thing. I do Daily Workout, striving to do it at least three times a week (sometimes I get called into work early if a teacher calls out and it will throw me off) but at first I was doing only five minutes per set, to get back into shape. Give my body a wake up call.

Now, I'm up to ten minutes...per area! And I have a total of five!

I just expanded on abs and next is arms, but I'm doing a good number of what you mentioned up there for minutes at a time while watching anime AMV's (music really helps me keep going).

Oh! As it would have it, I'm so pleased! I JUST did a full minute on each side of plank with only ONE falter! .....my arms suddenly started itching for no reason so I stopped to scratch, but I think I'm making progress! Only other thing is to try to get rid of that ''joint about to fall off'' feeling in my shoulder'' because I'm doing it with the other arm straight up in the air.

I just got one of my later pictures up on my profile I think before I quit my last job, that might give an idea of what I use to have and trying to build back to where I was. The women in my family are still lovely as they get older, but in certain areas I noticed they tend to get a bit wide, particularly in the hips and arms and I'm like ''I don't want that quite yet'' smile

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Wolfdude87
Crinis
Wolfdude87

Dang! I'd think I'm a long way from that! But it gives me an idea that I'm surely in the right direction. I gave up ''counting'' after a while, I'm the kind of person that her mind wonders when doing just one thing. I do Daily Workout, striving to do it at least three times a week (sometimes I get called into work early if a teacher calls out and it will throw me off) but at first I was doing only five minutes per set, to get back into shape. Give my body a wake up call.

Now, I'm up to ten minutes...per area! And I have a total of five!

I just expanded on abs and next is arms, but I'm doing a good number of what you mentioned up there for minutes at a time while watching anime AMV's (music really helps me keep going).

Oh! As it would have it, I'm so pleased! I JUST did a full minute on each side of plank with only ONE falter! .....my arms suddenly started itching for no reason so I stopped to scratch, but I think I'm making progress! Only other thing is to try to get rid of that ''joint about to fall off'' feeling in my shoulder'' because I'm doing it with the other arm straight up in the air.

I just got one of my later pictures up on my profile I think before I quit my last job, that might give an idea of what I use to have and trying to build back to where I was. The women in my family are still lovely as they get older, but in certain areas I noticed they tend to get a bit wide, particularly in the hips and arms and I'm like ''I don't want that quite yet'' smile

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
biceptron
Crinis
Hey fellow Gaians,

Alright, so I'm doing the Daily Workout on apps on my phone, trying to get into doing it three times a week. My arms use to be pretty muscular and upper strength training wasn't so hard. But getting back into the swing of it, finding I'm not as strong in one arm when doing the Plank exercise (where you hold yourself up by one arm). The arm I write with I can last a bit longer, and face-down plank is no issue.

Anyone have any thoughts or do I just need to build one day at a time? Or are there other things I can do ''in between sessions'' to get this one arm built to stand on its own without feeling it's going to cave at any second?

Thanks! heart

i hope i made sense. oh and by the way planks are for your core. not really arms. but i guess it works ur arms kind of.

Hey bicept, I unlocked a new kind of plank today, and it was the same except I'm propping myself up by my upper arm and it was for the ''abs'' portion of my routine. So, could it be that there are different planks for different parts of the body to focus on?

Pyris's Wife

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
biceptron
Crinis
Hey fellow Gaians,

Alright, so I'm doing the Daily Workout on apps on my phone, trying to get into doing it three times a week. My arms use to be pretty muscular and upper strength training wasn't so hard. But getting back into the swing of it, finding I'm not as strong in one arm when doing the Plank exercise (where you hold yourself up by one arm). The arm I write with I can last a bit longer, and face-down plank is no issue.

Anyone have any thoughts or do I just need to build one day at a time? Or are there other things I can do ''in between sessions'' to get this one arm built to stand on its own without feeling it's going to cave at any second?

Thanks! heart

i hope i made sense. oh and by the way planks are for your core. not really arms. but i guess it works ur arms kind of.

Hey bicept, I unlocked a new kind of plank today, and it was the same except I'm propping myself up by my upper arm and it was for the ''abs'' portion of my routine. So, could it be that there are different planks for different parts of the body to focus on?
Hello, this is Ghaudly! I haven't posted in health and fitness in awhile! I'm glad to see the amount of people having conversations and discussions in it has grown so much. And hello Crinis! Good luck on your fitness goals. I was pretty ill when I first got back into fitness - long story, some other time ; but I weighed 118 pounds. Lots of things happened where I didn't work out for a long time, and I finally got back into it. I now weigh a pretty good 145 lbs give or take, at 5'8", and am in great control of my body!

So you're doing side planks? Well, here's some motivation! I call it lifting the earth ; also, non full plank planche! This was awhile back, and I can do full handstand pushups now, but as long as you work on it, you always aim for progress, and you'll always see results.

My main practice is through isometric hold times, and calisthenics, with some medium weight + isometrics, and plyometrics.

I'm a practicing martial artist (traditional) in the making. It's glad to be back to HaF!

This is a video of the planche attempt...Planching~?

And some current progress photos, as a 135-145 lb martial artist.

User Image

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas