Welcome to Gaia! ::

I need to switch up my gym routine so I'm giving this program a shot after hearing about it for the past year. Anyone interested in following along with me? Post here, PM, whatever works!

Combative Punching Bag

littleruby
I need to switch up my gym routine so I'm giving this program a shot after hearing about it for the past year. Anyone interested in following along with me? Post here, PM, whatever works!
I'm looking for a new one myself......but I don't think this one is for me.
Das Destroyer
littleruby

This was the other one that I considered, if it's any help!

Combative Punching Bag

littleruby
Das Destroyer
littleruby

I was looking at that one before but there's too little weight training for me. I just started (yesterday in fact) the big man on campus routine. Seems pretty decent. Turns the weight training into cardio training. I wish you the best of luck though with whichever routine you so choose. Also great to see I'm not the only one using that site.
Das Destroyer
littleruby
Das Destroyer
littleruby

I was looking at that one before but there's too little weight training for me. I just started (yesterday in fact) the big man on campus routine. Seems pretty decent. Turns the weight training into cardio training. I wish you the best of luck though with whichever routine you so choose. Also great to see I'm not the only one using that site.

Wow, that one definitely looks intense! I like how he provides so much information for performing all the moves safely. A lot of plans seem to slack on that, which worries me for beginners who've never performed the exercises and may not have a trainer/spotter.

I love the website, there's so much information and research on there. I hope you enjoy your program as well and get the results you're looking for! Feel free to post in this thread if you wish, it doesn't look like there will be too many joining me. wink

Combative Punching Bag

littleruby

Wow, that one definitely looks intense! I like how he provides so much information for performing all the moves safely. A lot of plans seem to slack on that, which worries me for beginners who've never performed the exercises and may not have a trainer/spotter.

I love the website, there's so much information and research on there. I hope you enjoy your program as well and get the results you're looking for! Feel free to post in this thread if you wish, it doesn't look like there will be too many joining me. wink
Sounds like a plan to me. You sound like you know a little bit about training. Any idea why the guy is wearing a lifting belt while he's doing chest and triceps? I've been curious about that since I seen the video.
Das Destroyer
littleruby

Sounds like a plan to me. You sound like you know a little bit about training. Any idea why the guy is wearing a lifting belt while he's doing chest and triceps? I've been curious about that since I seen the video.

I've got a BSc in Human Nutrition, 16 weeks out from finishing my Dietetic Internship Diploma (which means I'm eligible to write the National Dietetic Exam and become a Registered Dietitian), and have my Can-Fit-Pro Personal Trainer certification (although I was injured in Feb so haven't worked for nearly a year). I've been lifting weights for probably 6-7 years, seriously for the last 3, and love keeping up with the research. It's definitely made a huge change in my body from when I only did cardio and while I'm not where I want to be right now, I know it's going to help me get there. I love the challenge, I love the results, and I love the feeling I get from it.

Watching the video, I would take a guess that he's wearing it to keep him from arching/rounding his back due to the heavy weight he's lifting. A lot of people tend to bring in their core/lower body to push them through the last few reps or let their form slack when tired, so he may be using it to prevent that from happening. I personally haven't worked with anyone who's worn it during such a workout and most of my experience training is with beginners who don't often use lifting belts, so there may be other reasons I'm missing. When in doubt, wear it and keep your back safe.

Combative Punching Bag

littleruby

I've got a BSc in Human Nutrition, 16 weeks out from finishing my Dietetic Internship Diploma (which means I'm eligible to write the National Dietetic Exam and become a Registered Dietitian), and have my Can-Fit-Pro Personal Trainer certification (although I was injured in Feb so haven't worked for nearly a year). I've been lifting weights for probably 6-7 years, seriously for the last 3, and love keeping up with the research. It's definitely made a huge change in my body from when I only did cardio and while I'm not where I want to be right now, I know it's going to help me get there. I love the challenge, I love the results, and I love the feeling I get from it.

Watching the video, I would take a guess that he's wearing it to keep him from arching/rounding his back due to the heavy weight he's lifting. A lot of people tend to bring in their core/lower body to push them through the last few reps or let their form slack when tired, so he may be using it to prevent that from happening. I personally haven't worked with anyone who's worn it during such a workout and most of my experience training is with beginners who don't often use lifting belts, so there may be other reasons I'm missing. When in doubt, wear it and keep your back safe.

So yeah, you do know a little bit about lifting and working out. lol I'm impressed to say the least. Diet has to be where I'm lacking the most in. I mean I try to eat healthy but between work and school and suck I....well let's just say I like pizza lol. I know what you mean about the feeling and the results. I've been lifting on and off since high school but I started getting really serious about three months ago. I broke my ankle back in june (volleyball.....embarrassing story) . As soon as I could get into the gym I was there. I looked kinda silly in there with my boot on though. I just finished the shortcut to size routine by Jim Stoppani which I think was freaken awesome. Does alot with microcycles and switching up the number of reps and weight. I do my best to keep up with the research myself, that's why I'm always checking on that site. Very nice meeting you by the way, my name is Mike.
Das Destroyer
littleruby

So yeah, you do know a little bit about lifting and working out. lol I'm impressed to say the least. Diet has to be where I'm lacking the most in. I mean I try to eat healthy but between work and school and suck I....well let's just say I like pizza lol. I know what you mean about the feeling and the results. I've been lifting on and off since high school but I started getting really serious about three months ago. I broke my ankle back in june (volleyball.....embarrassing story) . As soon as I could get into the gym I was there. I looked kinda silly in there with my boot on though. I just finished the shortcut to size routine by Jim Stoppani which I think was freaken awesome. Does alot with microcycles and switching up the number of reps and weight. I do my best to keep up with the research myself, that's why I'm always checking on that site. Very nice meeting you by the way, my name is Mike.

Very nice to meet you too! I'm Ann. It's always nice to meet others who love the science and research behind what they're doing in the gym and what's going on in their bodies. The programs that have variety built in to the reps, sets, weight, exercises, etc are the ones that often give the best results (although there are SO many other factors to consider!). People love routine and tend to settle into a workout structure that doesn't vary much, if at all. It's excellent that you're so dedicated to being healthy!

Diet is difficult for the majority of people, particularly since so much of culture and socialization is built around food. It's hard to balance eating well with being so busy but little changes add up. I love sweets but I'll try to limit them and choose something I really enjoy rather than just whatever is there (like a homemade cookie over a Chips Ahoy). It doesn't always work but you move on and do better the next time you eat.

I can't wait to hear how your challenge goes! Sounds like you've got a solid background of knowledge and experience so it'll be great to hear how you're doing!
"Officially" started the program yesterday (did a run-through of the leg workout on Saturday) and definitely feeling it! It was chest & triceps day, with a few modifications since push-ups irritate an old injury to my wrist. I usually will use octagonal dumbbells in order to keep my wrists straight but instead I replaced wide and narrow push-ups with seated bench presses using the wide and narrow grips. I'm unsure if I'll keep with this replacement for the entire challenge since it is not an exact equivalent, but I'm more concerned with not damaging my wrist which would make many exercises difficult or impossible.

Back & biceps today!
Day 2: Back & Biceps

This was a tough one and really showed how much strength I've lost since the summer. The gym was packed so I never got to the cable machines to do Cable Bicep Curls but I did the rest of the exercises and completed all the sets. There were multiple types of bicep curls, all of which were a struggle (always have been), but I got through them with minimal pauses during the last 2-3 reps in order to keep good form.

I love working my back and it improves quickly but biceps will be one of my "lagging" parts that Jamie recommends hitting twice a week, later in the program.

I also did a quick 5 minute warm-up on the treadmill before, and 15 minutes of intervals on the stationary bike at the end.

It's going to get incredibly busy at the gym due to all the resolution-makers, so it'll take a little extra time to get in all the exercises but that's not an excuse! smile
The gym was closed today for New Years so instead of skipping, I did Day 4 Shoulders and Abs instead of Day 3.

Discovered my other weak spot, Rear Delts! They were a real challenge but the other moves were good. I hate ab floor work so crunches (no exercise ball at home) and air bike crunches were mentally tough and a little difficult physically.

I did a good stretch afterwards and took measurements and photos. I'm thinking I'll compare after each phase and maybe share results then or at the end of the program.

I've also been tracking my eating since I began. I'm not following the eating plan that's provided but trying to eat clean for the most part.

Legs tomorrow!

Combative Punching Bag

littleruby
Sorry for not responding back until now, I thought I would get a notification if you posted here again.....but now I realize it's not my thread so I wouldn't >.<. I'm glad to hear your program is going well. If you need a replacement exercise please feel free to ask me. I have a good library in my mind plus I have a couple books. Close grip bar bell bench press is so uncomfortable for me. I would rather use any other tricep workout aside from that one. I enjoy back to a point. I really like the exercises where I know I get a full rep from it.

When I do dumbell rows I never know if I'm going up the full stretch. My trouble areas are my shoulders and my calfs. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain but what do you think about supplements? I take a few including casein, whey, and CLA and I just was curious your expert opinion. BTW my workout's on a hold thanks to a cold >.<

Combative Punching Bag

Oh, and I'm subscribed to this thread now so I will see when you post.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff