Welcome to Gaia! ::

Day 4 today - Legs & Calves (Actual Day 3)

Today was a great workout. Took it slightly easier than usual to ensure I had good form (paranoid about hurting my hip again) but still a great workout. I used the seated calf raise machine which works using body weight as resistance plus you can add weight to it. I had never used it before so it took me a second to get used to it. There is no standing calf raise machine so I did them with a barbell on my shoulders. Usually I do them with the leg press machine when I use higher weights so that my shoulders don't get sore holding the barbell.

I'm a little stiff in my hips and so I'll be doing yoga and stretching on my days off.

End of week 1 and very happy with it!
Das Destroyer
littleruby
Sorry for not responding back until now, I thought I would get a notification if you posted here again.....but now I realize it's not my thread so I wouldn't >.<. I'm glad to hear your program is going well. If you need a replacement exercise please feel free to ask me. I have a good library in my mind plus I have a couple books. Close grip bar bell bench press is so uncomfortable for me. I would rather use any other tricep workout aside from that one. I enjoy back to a point. I really like the exercises where I know I get a full rep from it.

When I do dumbell rows I never know if I'm going up the full stretch. My trouble areas are my shoulders and my calfs. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain but what do you think about supplements? I take a few including casein, whey, and CLA and I just was curious your expert opinion. BTW my workout's on a hold thanks to a cold >.<

Hope you feel better soon! Shoulders are a tough one; they're easy to overwork since they get used during so many other moves (bent over rows, tricep dips, deadlifts, etc).

To be honest, exercise supplements are not my expertise so I really can't give much information on them. There is SO much research out there and thousands of products that unless you specialize in Sports nutrition or supplement use, it's difficult to know more than the bare basics. I know more about dietary supplements such as vitamins and minerals, fish oil, etc. but again, with so many products it's difficult to give a general opinion.

If you want to read a little more about sports nutrition, this journal has many free articles. Avoid listening to people (or websites) for a specific supplement company as many of them are paid to promote the product or paid commission based on how much they sell. There is a certificate out there that Personal Trainers can obtain to allow them to provide information on supplements but even then I'm often a little wary. Because of the designation that supplements often fall under, they usually can be placed on shelves WITHOUT proving safety (ie. Ephedra) so just because they're being sold, does NOT mean they are safe. Be critical and do your own research (from reputable sources).
Das Destroyer
littleruby
If you need a replacement exercise please feel free to ask me. I have a good library in my mind plus I have a couple books.

Thanks! I'll definitely take you up on that at some point in the program. smile

Combative Punching Bag

Have you tried rocking calf raises for a calf workout? I did them a while back and if you don't have a standing calf machine I think that would work well. A link to explain is below.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/rocking-standing-calf-raise

I check a lot of reviews about the supplements before I try them. Also they guy who works at GNC gives me a good amount of input (and free samples). I will check out the journal page, thanks for the link BTW.
Das Destroyer
Have you tried rocking calf raises for a calf workout? I did them a while back and if you don't have a standing calf machine I think that would work well. A link to explain is below.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/rocking-standing-calf-raise

I check a lot of reviews about the supplements before I try them. Also they guy who works at GNC gives me a good amount of input (and free samples). I will check out the journal page, thanks for the link BTW.

I've had good experiences with the staff at the GNC near me too. Haven't gotten any free samples though, haha.

Yep, I've done those but forgot about them! I find once I get high in weight, the barbell gets really painful on my shoulders. We'll see if gradually going up in weight helps a bit. smile

Combative Punching Bag

littleruby

I've had good experiences with the staff at the GNC near me too. Haven't gotten any free samples though, haha.

Yep, I've done those but forgot about them! I find once I get high in weight, the barbell gets really painful on my shoulders. We'll see if gradually going up in weight helps a bit. smile

They're always stuffing my bag with samples, maybe the guy here is just cooler lol. Did legs today day 3. I realize I really have to invest in a weight belt because after Romanian deadlifts my lower back was in pain. If you ever wake up and decide you don't want to walk for the rest of the day I suggest you do the finisher for today. Leg extensions superset with jump lunges. Couldn't even finish the three sets of twelve.

Have to say I'm doing a lot better on my diet. No pizza and no monsters since the start. Dinner is chicken stir fry with brown rice. Very proud of that lol.

Hope your day went well too.
Das Destroyer
littleruby

They're always stuffing my bag with samples, maybe the guy here is just cooler lol. Did legs today day 3. I realize I really have to invest in a weight belt because after Romanian deadlifts my lower back was in pain. If you ever wake up and decide you don't want to walk for the rest of the day I suggest you do the finisher for today. Leg extensions superset with jump lunges. Couldn't even finish the three sets of twelve.

Have to say I'm doing a lot better on my diet. No pizza and no monsters since the start. Dinner is chicken stir fry with brown rice. Very proud of that lol.

Hope your day went well too.

Ahh, I've done a super set with walking lunges and jump squats and it was INSANE. I couldn't stand up afterwards for a few minutes. I love that feeling though! I'll definitely try that finisher some time.

Congrats! Sounds like you're having a good week. smile Watch out for your back, injuries there are a nightmare (hope you've never experienced that). That stir fry sounds yummy, do you put spices in it? I'm always looking for new things to try.

Today I'm off from the gym and I had a bit of a treat when I went out to supper with my mom. Grilled chicken burger with lots of veggies and mustard, garden salad, and a few onion rings, with a glass of wine and 3 small chocolates when I got home (I have a glass of wine maybe every 6 months?). It's only been in the last year or so that I've really been able to spend time with my mom and get along, so I don't mind that I didn't eat "clean" when I was with her. She's trying to eat better too so we chatted about what we're both doing. The rest of the day was good. I tracked it and I'm actually under my calories today although I'll say I met or am slightly over because fast food nutrient content can vary by approximately 20% of what they say it contains.

Tomorrow is scheduled on the program as another off day, but I may do a little stationary bike just to loosen up. I'm very jealous your GNC guy is so cool! I may have to go in when my neighbour is working and see what she can do for me. wink

Combative Punching Bag

littleruby

Ahh, I've done a super set with walking lunges and jump squats and it was INSANE. I couldn't stand up afterwards for a few minutes. I love that feeling though! I'll definitely try that finisher some time.

Congrats! Sounds like you're having a good week. smile Watch out for your back, injuries there are a nightmare (hope you've never experienced that). That stir fry sounds yummy, do you put spices in it? I'm always looking for new things to try.

Today I'm off from the gym and I had a bit of a treat when I went out to supper with my mom. Grilled chicken burger with lots of veggies and mustard, garden salad, and a few onion rings, with a glass of wine and 3 small chocolates when I got home (I have a glass of wine maybe every 6 months?). It's only been in the last year or so that I've really been able to spend time with my mom and get along, so I don't mind that I didn't eat "clean" when I was with her. She's trying to eat better too so we chatted about what we're both doing. The rest of the day was good. I tracked it and I'm actually under my calories today although I'll say I met or am slightly over because fast food nutrient content can vary by approximately 20% of what they say it contains.

Tomorrow is scheduled on the program as another off day, but I may do a little stationary bike just to loosen up. I'm very jealous your GNC guy is so cool! I may have to go in when my neighbor is working and see what she can do for me. wink

Your neighbor works at GNC? I'm sure you can get some kind of discount if you offer to do yard work or something. With their prices it would be very worth it XD. I tried the whole calorie counting with a few apps on my phone but it never gets past a day for me. I usually get lazy or annoyed that I don't know the portion sizes.One thing i do love though is the app I have for keeping track of my weights and reps at the gym because I hate carrying a note book around and i have my phone with me anyways for music.

The back injury scares me a bit as well because I always hear people complaining that they have a bad back. Also it's so hard for me to tell whether the pain in my back is from muscle soreness or damage. that's the one area where it feels the same.

And if you think a grilled chicken burger is bad when you go out to eat then someone should have drawn and quartered me months ago lol.
Das Destroyer
littleruby

Tomorrow is scheduled on the program as another off day, but I may do a little stationary bike just to loosen up. I'm very jealous your GNC guy is so cool! I may have to go in when my neighbor is working and see what she can do for me. wink

Your neighbor works at GNC? I'm sure you can get some kind of discount if you offer to do yard work or something. With their prices it would be very worth it XD. I tried the whole calorie counting with a few apps on my phone but it never gets past a day for me. I usually get lazy or annoyed that I don't know the portion sizes.One thing i do love though is the app I have for keeping track of my weights and reps at the gym because I hate carrying a note book around and i have my phone with me anyways for music.

The back injury scares me a bit as well because I always hear people complaining that they have a bad back. Also it's so hard for me to tell whether the pain in my back is from muscle soreness or damage. that's the one area where it feels the same.

And if you think a grilled chicken burger is bad when you go out to eat then someone should have drawn and quartered me months ago lol.

She's damaged my car so often from her "lawnmowing" that I do it just to avoid the ding marks, haha. She's offered a few times to get me anything I need but I use so few supplements that I completely forgot about it until recently. I take a few things for a health condition though and I'm almost out so I'll check with her next time I see her. smile

I use myfitnesspal to track exercises/weights too. I forget easily unless I track stuff somewhere. I don't track too often anymore but I'm been having issues with the aforementioned health condition so I have to track fibre, sodium, and iron and an app/website is the easiest way. Ties in well with the LiveFit program too. What app do you use? Have you tried one called GymBoss? I think it's a timer. Do you time your breaks or just estimate?

AH, I know what you mean! It's difficult to tell sometimes and it sets off alarm bells in your head. Mine is sore now but I think it's from sitting in the recliner, which has zero lower back support.

Haha it was more the onion rings I was thinking about but I'm usually suspicious of most fast-food due to the processing methods/how far it was shipped, etc. I work part-time at a restaurant that serves 99% provincially produced products, and would rather eat (and do eat) the hand cut fries, made from potatoes grown a couple hours away, than fast food fries that came from another country and were processed who knows how long ago. The wine and one of the chocolates were also locally produced a few hours away lol
Oh yay, just hit 1000 posts! whee I'd say this deserves more wine but I'm still on the first glass and it's been an hour and a half since I poured it.
Day 8 today - Chest & Triceps

The last couple days were off per the program, so today was back at the gym. Switched out the pushups again for wide and narrow grip chest presses and did incline bench presses instead of flat bench. It felt a little easier than last week but the last few reps of each set were tough!

Eating was a little off this weekend due to some bad news/change of plans but I was back at it today (minus a piece of chocolate smile ). Tomorrow I start a new job at a hospital where my meals are provided so we'll see what healthy choices can be made. Still slowly tweaking things as I go!

Although I know it's ridiculous, I keep looking in the mirror to see if anything has changed yet. It's way too soon to tell, but I definitely feel less bloated which is great. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Back & Bicep workout!
Day 9 - Back & Biceps

Today was a great workout. It went by fairly quick, and I felt strong until the last set of the last exercise - Cable Bicep Curls. I finished them though and my arms were like Jello after! My biceps are still weak, it'll be nice to see some strength gains in them by the end of the program. My back was good, it's ready to move up a few lbs in weight next week.

I don't feel as sore as I did last week, which is nice. Recovery is going to be tougher since I'll be working a lot more now so I'll have to make sure I get enough rest and don't burn out on my workouts. Overall, I'm enjoying the program and looking forward to the workouts every day. smile
Day 10 - Legs & Calves

I was starting to feel kind of ill today, but I went to the gym anyway to do what I could. Ended up having a great leg workout and will be increasing my weights on all the moves next week. I had a hip injury last February and I've been struggling with it since then. Well, I pushed hard today and it did not hurt a bit! I'm crossing my fingers that it is fully healed and will remain that way from now on.

Eating-wise, I was pretty hungry by lunch time as I didn't get a break. Lunch wasn't very clean but it didn't hurt to have the extra carbs for leg day. smile

Almost done for the week and feeling good!
I was in a lot of pain over the weekend (I have endometreiosis) and took a few days off working out and eating well. I got back to the gym yesterday and had a good leg workout (what would have been Day 15 of LiveFit), and today I did Day 16 Back & Biceps.

I made a few adjustments (don't have a Hammer Strength Lat Pull so replaced with underhand lat pulldowns), no T-Bar so did Bent Over Barbell Rows and used a cable machine for Alternate Bicep Curls and Bar Curls. That seems like a lot but I try to keep the number of exercises/sets/muscles worked the same as the recommended moves, and adjust for my own body/equipment/etc.

Eating was terrible lately (too much) so I'm working on that again. It was bad this past week since I was in a lot of pain and felt very sick, so I ate a lot of crackers, toast, dry cereal, etc. Plus I find it hard to not eat every time my BF eats so it's difficult when he's home, especially since I stop drinking fluids after ~7pm so I can't even have some herbal tea. I'd be up all night peeing otherwise!

So I figure writing out a few goals for the Phases may help a bit. smile The next two weeks is mostly food-related but appropriate for where I'm struggling right now.

For the rest of Phase 1, I'm going to:
Eat more vegetables at lunch and supper (1-3 cups).
Eat more beans and lentils (2-3x week).
Drink more water & green tea during the day (stop forgetting my water bottle in the car!!)
Eat more protein at lunch and snacks.
Catch up on my workouts.
Figure out the moves BEFORE I get to the gym (slacked this week!)

Combative Punching Bag

Hey, Sorry I have not posted laity. I've been ridiculously busy between my two jobs and school. Good news is that I have been sticking to my workout more so then ever. I think I would go crazy with stress if I didn't. I'm glad to hear you're working on sticking to your exercises despite your condition. I know a lot of people would use something like that as an excuse to quit.

I've been working on my diet as well. I don't get nearly as much vegetables as I should but that's not a priority to me like it looks like it is to you. I've been trying to get to 180g-240g of protein a day. I can't believe how much of a challenge that is!

I'm not a fan pf underhand lat pull downs myself. If you're the same I would recommend close grip or just going for the wide grip.

Also, I wish you the best of luck! blaugh I'll continue posting in here as often as I can.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff