Welcome to Gaia! ::

I hope I'm posting this thread in the appropriate forum. Anyway, so a friend of mine wants to start doing Muay Thai this September and I told him that I'll try anything once, which is true. I'm a little excited about it, but I'm also kind of nervous. I've never really done any type of martial art before and it seems like a huge jump. Plus, I live in Germany, and the guys that train over here are effing strong. It also doesn't help that I'm 6'4 and I weigh almost 190 lbs. So there really is no way to lower my weight class without taking a huge dent out of my strength. Is there anyone who has any experience in this topic or has any tips for pre-training?

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Unfortunately cutting fat means losing strength in the short run. But if your diet is good you shouldn't lose much, ultimately you'll improve. I bulked to 200lb this past winter and my powerlifting total was 1125lb now I weigh 167lb and it's dropped to 1085lb. Next time I bulk I'll build more lean mass, thus building muscle while keeping my fat relatively low. In the long run this is a very effective way to train. There are also recomposition diets but they are fairly advanced unless you have a good knowledge of diet and nutrition.
Wolfdude87
Unfortunately cutting fat means losing strength in the short run. But if your diet is good you shouldn't lose much, ultimately you'll improve. I bulked to 200lb this past winter and my powerlifting total was 1125lb now I weigh 167lb and it's dropped to 1085lb. Next time I bulk I'll build more lean mass, thus building muscle while keeping my fat relatively low. In the long run this is a very effective way to train. There are also recomposition diets but they are fairly advanced unless you have a good knowledge of diet and nutrition.

You see, though? You are stacked and placed in your weight class due to your muscle mass. I am placed into a weight class simply because of my frame. I have a feeling that I'm doomed from the start.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Kampfzeit
Wolfdude87

You see, though? You are stacked and placed in your weight class due to your muscle mass. I am placed into a weight class simply because of my frame. I have a feeling that I'm doomed from the start.

Yeah but being 6'4" you have reach, sports that involve fighting are more about skill anyway. Your reach will help, and if you diet effectively the results will still come.
Wolfdude87
Kampfzeit
Wolfdude87

Yeah but being 6'4" you have reach, sports that involve fighting are more about skill anyway. Your reach will help, and if you diet effectively the results will still come.

Do you know of any diets that would help me during my pre-training?

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Kampfzeit
Wolfdude87
Kampfzeit
Wolfdude87

Yeah I might be able to help, but forgive me, I don't know much about that kind of sport. What exactly is pre-training?
Wolfdude87
Kampfzeit
Wolfdude87
Kampfzeit
Wolfdude87

Yeah I might be able to help, but forgive me, I don't know much about that kind of sport. What exactly is pre-training?

It's nothing legitimately specific, it's just some training and conditioning to prepare myself mentally and physically. Basically just cardio and some light strength training to build endurance.

Omnipresent Hunter

Try high-weight, low-rep weight training interspersed with high intensity cardio workouts, keep your diet about the same or with less calories supplemented with lots of lean protein and calcium, and lots of conditioning; running, aerobics, plyometrics, punching kicking, kneeing, elbowing, etc. You'll build strength without a bunch of weight gain. Tensile strength and speed is what you need.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff