Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Explorer

I have a Planet Fitness membership and I go from time to time (usually in waves... I'll go on a regular basis for a while, then lose interest, then go back, etc.)

I know a lot of people enjoy the gym, but I honestly hate being at a gym AND I don't enjoy weightlifting. Still... gotta do it. I know I need to go regularly, always. What do you do to stay motivated?

For the record, I do other things to improve my fitness outside the gym (biking, kayaking, jogging, etc.)

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Planet Fitness isn't a gym. I'd say quit that s**t hole asap and get a membership at a real gym.

Invisible Explorer

That wasn't helpful or very nice.

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
How about something you can do at home?
I dunno. Oftentimes when I'm bored with a routine there are two reasons: It's not challenging, and I've done it a million times before.

If your workout at the gym isn't exciting, why not look up some new exercises with weights? How can you mix up your routine while continuing to develop the same muscles you were doing? Places like T-nation (website) can help you think about new routines to do, or might have better forums to ask about motivation.

If your workout isn't challenging, why not increase weights? I've made it my goal to try and deadlift 100 pounds by the end of August. It's not much when I look at Olympians or my friends, but it's far more than I thought I could do in April when I started. If you add more weight, or have a goal weight for lifting, it's something to look forward to, and something to move toward. It's when you're just... there, at the gym, that things tend to get stale.

Another option would be to maybe listen to an audiobook while working out? I listen to them when I workout, and the rule I give myself is if I stop working out, I stop listening- which motivates me to keep moving if I want to get the end of the book.

Do they have trainers you can talk to in the gym that can address these issues? That'd be another good place to ask.
the easiest thing would be to set yourself some clearly defined goals, and then work towards achieving them.
for example, if you are looking to improve the time it takes you to run a mile, work on your running.
unless you are working towards elite athletics, or something highly competitive, you don't need to burn out your energy on weights.

weights have their place in a fitness regimen, but they are by no means the only thing you can do, and certainly not always the most effective depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
if its a matter of general health, then you should put your focus on diet and cardio rather than muscle building,

You can also intertwine your cardio with bodyweight movements like pushups to minimize your time in the gym.

So look hard at what it is you want to accomplish, and select your physical activity based on that.

and remember, that even though top level athletes train with weights, you don't always need to, if you are just looking to improve your health.

Invisible Explorer

Thanks for the responses. One of my goals actually is to get stronger arms because I'm really thin. Maybe I'm choosing machines that aren't working for me and should think about doing more with freeweights. I enjoy some machines but not all. It might be good to find freeweight exercises in place of the machines I don't look forward to.

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
A good motivation is to workout with a couple of friends. Workouts become fun when you friendly compete with your friends. Jogging or running is a good start. But just don't overdo it. Know your limits and theirs, etc.

Invisible Explorer

That's true! I actually much prefer working out with friends, but as it turns out, they lose interest much quicker than I do haha.

Wealthy Capitalist

Bring friends that like weightlifting. That helps me a lot they push me and we hang out while working ou
I have a gym in the apartment building I live in. I usually go late at night because I hate having other people around when I work out. They have a TV and a DVD player there. I usually plug in my phone and watch The Biggest Loser or anything Losing It with Jillian Michaels.

That usually keeps me motivated.

Profitable Giver

5,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
I lift things up and put them down

Dapper Ladykiller

I try to beat at least ONE max every time I go to the gym. If I can lift more than 5 reps at one weight, I can increase my max the next time. It's like a video game for me, and I'm leveling up my stats (lolol)

Also, signing up for some kind of competition (powerlifting, 10k, etc) is a great motivation for me. Once you've committed to something, you cant let yourself look like an idiot at the competition!

Invisible Explorer

Zuska Darling
I try to beat at least ONE max every time I go to the gym. If I can lift more than 5 reps at one weight, I can increase my max the next time. It's like a video game for me, and I'm leveling up my stats (lolol)

Also, signing up for some kind of competition (powerlifting, 10k, etc) is a great motivation for me. Once you've committed to something, you cant let yourself look like an idiot at the competition!

I actually just did this! I have a goal now that I need to work for. I'm hoping it works! smile

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
My motivation is that I can push myself harder, I can push myself to become stronger, and after that I can do it again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff