Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Citizen

Avgvsto

Having been in wrestling since i was tiny, i don't like having to admit this, strength training always focused on how to gain as much strength with changing weight as little as possible. There's a difference between strength and muscle, sure you can lift more if you're bigger but you're probably not that much more proportionately stronger. that's why I'm not advising weight training till later. Also don't stop at 50 push ups, get into 100 and start doing different variations like learning how to do a handstand or a planche push up.

Oh cool, do you still wrestle?
Ah I see, well that's some pretty sound advice. Planche pushups looks crazy but I'm sure with practice, I'll be able to get there. I honestly can't wait to get started. I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Dapper Reveler

Spirit Reborn
Avgvsto

Having been in wrestling since i was tiny, i don't like having to admit this, strength training always focused on how to gain as much strength with changing weight as little as possible. There's a difference between strength and muscle, sure you can lift more if you're bigger but you're probably not that much more proportionately stronger. that's why I'm not advising weight training till later. Also don't stop at 50 push ups, get into 100 and start doing different variations like learning how to do a handstand or a planche push up.

Oh cool, do you still wrestle?
Ah I see, well that's some pretty sound advice. Planche pushups looks crazy but I'm sure with practice, I'll be able to get there. I honestly can't wait to get started. I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
lol tomorrow never actually exists, just don't think about it do it right away. No I haven't wrestled in awhile i kind of coach right now but I'm trying not too. I think i might start doing Judo though. Oh and don't worry, i might never be able to do a planche push up, just stuff to look up to lol that s**t looks crazy- actually for clarity it might almost be impossible to do with my weight and body type so I'm not just weak or something.

Friendly Citizen

Avgvsto
Spirit Reborn
Avgvsto
It's really not that hard, make your whole day a work out, just make it time management. Every time you could be doing something else just work out. Watching T.V. do push ups. Could be reading, do wall sits while your reading or hula hoop while our reading. Bored jump rope. Theres a lot of time in the day just use it and you'll get in shape. here's a good quote by a soldier, “The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.”
― Norman Schwarzkopf

That's very true. Thanks for the helpful tips! : )
Nice quote, I like it.
I don't like when people consider health different then just the way you live life, it's kind of sissy s**t, just don't think of it as working out, think of it as embodying what you want to be with your life. Health really isn't that important to me, it's just your willingness to have a more effective physical self. Don't think of it as working out just think of it as a way to pass the time and just the kind of person you are. That's just my kind of take on it I guess, it's like sprezzatura, i was raised into it i guess.

Oh okay so basically working out as if it's effortless. Like it's something I just do. I kind of wish I was raised thinking in that same manner.

Dapper Reveler

Spirit Reborn
Avgvsto
Spirit Reborn
Avgvsto
It's really not that hard, make your whole day a work out, just make it time management. Every time you could be doing something else just work out. Watching T.V. do push ups. Could be reading, do wall sits while your reading or hula hoop while our reading. Bored jump rope. Theres a lot of time in the day just use it and you'll get in shape. here's a good quote by a soldier, “The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.”
― Norman Schwarzkopf

That's very true. Thanks for the helpful tips! : )
Nice quote, I like it.
I don't like when people consider health different then just the way you live life, it's kind of sissy s**t, just don't think of it as working out, think of it as embodying what you want to be with your life. Health really isn't that important to me, it's just your willingness to have a more effective physical self. Don't think of it as working out just think of it as a way to pass the time and just the kind of person you are. That's just my kind of take on it I guess, it's like sprezzatura, i was raised into it i guess.

Oh okay so basically working out as if it's effortless. Like it's something I just do. I kind of wish I was raised thinking in that same manner.
I had a friend who called the term hard work an imaginary excuse for people that didn't want to just do things, it's easy if you let it be. THat said they were never on my wrestling team ; p- ehh bragging about high school stuff is just sissy s**t though. Just the more you think about it the harder it is.

Friendly Citizen

Avgvsto
lol tomorrow never actually exists, just don't think about it do it right away. No I haven't wrestled in awhile i kind of coach right now but I'm trying not too. I think i might start doing Judo though. Oh and don't worry, i might never be able to do a planche push up, just stuff to look up to lol that s**t looks crazy- actually for clarity it might almost be impossible to do with my weight and body type so I'm not just weak or something.

Ugh, you're right > . >;; I'll start soon.
Well that's cool and judo sounds fun. Oh, well yes, it does look insane but boss at the same time. What? Too buff to do it? =P

Dapper Reveler

Spirit Reborn
Avgvsto

Ugh, you're right > . >;; I'll start soon.
Well that's cool and judo sounds fun. Oh, well yes, it does look insane but boss at the same time. What? Too buff to do it? =P
probably something like that, you just don't see many gymnastics guys much more than 160 ish pounds. I could probably be a lot lighter than i am now though, think i'll lose some weight soon, if i feel like it.

Friendly Citizen

Avgvsto
I had a friend who called the term hard work an imaginary excuse for people that didn't want to just do things, it's easy if you let it be. THat said they were never on my wrestling team ; p- ehh bragging about high school stuff is just sissy s**t though. Just the more you think about it the harder it is.

hahah.
no I get what you're saying. And it's kind of refreshing to view hard work in that way since I was kind of raised differently in how I thought of it. It kind of resembles my take on tackling homework back then: on focussing on one problem at a time as efficiently and as best as I can instead of looking at the questions as one huge assignment that needs to be done.

Friendly Citizen

Avgvsto
probably something like that, you just don't see many gymnastics guys much more than 160 ish pounds. I could probably be a lot lighter than i am now though, think i'll lose some weight soon, if i feel like it.

Sounds good~ well let me know if you ever feel like it. I could use some sort of exercise buddy.
Anyway- gonna start on these calisthenic things now.

Thanks for all your help ^ ^b

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Functional training is based mostly on doing body weight exercises with some free weights. You want to start with somewhat simple movements, building up to more complex movements which would include increasing instability, speed, combining movements together, etc...
Functional strength training is focused mostly on increasing your strength by neurological adaptions rather than simply muscle mass.

Friendly Citizen

MaxKon
Functional training is based mostly on doing body weight exercises with some free weights. You want to start with somewhat simple movements, building up to more complex movements which would include increasing instability, speed, combining movements together, etc...
Functional strength training is focused mostly on increasing your strength by neurological adaptions rather than simply muscle mass.

Thanks a lot Max. This was pretty helpful ~
I may have found a functional strength training vid [mostly body weight exercises] so at least I've got something to follow along to in addition to what Avgvsto has suggested.

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon

I may have found a functional strength training vid [mostly body weight exercises] so at least I've got something to follow along to in addition to what Avgvsto has suggested.
No problem, there is a lot on functional training on the web, not all of it is good though.
Be sure to start slow and easy so you don't over excite your neurons too much, which damages them. It's also good if you have some kind of sport or event you want to train for, so then you can think "how will this movement help me do X?" Even if this is dragging someone out of the street. Or you can try and work out which aspect of your fitness is weakest and concentrate on that.

Friendly Citizen

MaxKon
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon

No problem, there is a lot on functional training on the web, not all of it is good though.
Be sure to start slow and easy so you don't over excite your neurons too much, which damages them. It's also good if you have some kind of sport or event you want to train for, so then you can think "how will this movement help me do X?" Even if this is dragging someone out of the street. Or you can try and work out which aspect of your fitness is weakest and concentrate on that.

Ah, I see. I'll make sure to take it easy on the exercises. My current weakness in fitness would be my lack of upper body strength but I'm working on it with pushups. That's also a good way to think about it in terms of how a specific movement will benefit my overall goals.

Thanks again~

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon

Ah, I see. I'll make sure to take it easy on the exercises. My current weakness in fitness would be my lack of upper body strength but I'm working on it with pushups. That's also a good way to think about it in terms of how a specific movement will benefit my overall goals.

Thanks again~
Don't forget rows and shoulder work.

Friendly Citizen

MaxKon
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon

Thanks again~

Almost forgot, actually xD Thanks for that. Will do!

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon
Spirit Reborn
MaxKon

Thanks again~

Almost forgot, actually xD Thanks for that. Will do!
You don't want to create any imbalances.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff