Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am for all intents and purposes a beginner here, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

My school's (tiny) gym has exactly one power rack and a bunch of bars laying off to the side of it (in addition to the one bar in the rack). When I go to do deadlifts, do I take the bar out of the rack and do the movements just outside of it? Or do I take one of the bars off to the side and finagle around with them to get the weights on?

Also, when is it appropriate to use the clips on the bar?

Sorry for the barrage of silly questions...
In the gyms I've been a member of, you can do your deadlifts in the rack. The rack I use now has safety bars coming off it to catch your barbell if you fall during squats, so I usually back up just past the reach of those when I do deadlifts. If you're still unsure, watch what others do.

ALWAYS use the clips if you're putting weights on the bar (I'm assuming you're asking about safety clips). It just takes the slightest tip to the side for the weights to slide off and hit someone else, or drive the bar into someone on the opposite side from the loss of balance.

Your questions aren't silly at all. smile
littleruby
In the gyms I've been a member of, you can do your deadlifts in the rack. The rack I use now has safety bars coming off it to catch your barbell if you fall during squats, so I usually back up just past the reach of those when I do deadlifts. If you're still unsure, watch what others do.

ALWAYS use the clips if you're putting weights on the bar (I'm assuming you're asking about safety clips). It just takes the slightest tip to the side for the weights to slide off and hit someone else, or drive the bar into someone on the opposite side from the loss of balance.

Your questions aren't silly at all. smile

Thank you! That had been bothering me for a while. Someone had told me that you only use the clips if you are lifting inordinately heavy amounts of weight, but it seemed risky to me to just not use them (even if I only had 5 lbs on the bar).

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
ChemHate
I am for all intents and purposes a beginner here, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

My school's (tiny) gym has exactly one power rack and a bunch of bars laying off to the side of it (in addition to the one bar in the rack). When I go to do deadlifts, do I take the bar out of the rack and do the movements just outside of it? Or do I take one of the bars off to the side and finagle around with them to get the weights on?

Also, when is it appropriate to use the clips on the bar?

Sorry for the barrage of silly questions...

If there are a lot of people around I would personally go off to the side so that the squatters can have the rack because for deadlifts you really don't need the rack. Imagine if you were trying to squat and there was somebody taking up the entire rack when they don't even need it.

But if there's no one then I'd use it because getting the plates on there really is a hassle.
I'm a real gentleman when I have to leave my gym room at home and go to a public gym. I'm all about allowing space for others to work out and not one to hog up a machine or an area, I want to be treated with the same respect. But if there is barely anyone there (sometimes I go super early like 06:00) I wouldn't worry about space but if there is more people around I'd give some space for others can get a workout in.
Monster Pup

If there are a lot of people around I would personally go off to the side so that the squatters can have the rack because for deadlifts you really don't need the rack. Imagine if you were trying to squat and there was somebody taking up the entire rack when they don't even need it.

******** curl bros on the squat rack or bench press. emotion_donotwant

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces