Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ruthless Hunter

7,000 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Hi,

I want to gain a bit of muscle for weight loss purposes because I heard that it increases your metabolism. I find the gym to be really boring, though, just sitting there and lifting weights. And besides I wouldn't be able to get to the gym very often. Anyone have any ideas on some things I could do at home that might be a bit more interesting for me?
Ninja-meww
Hi,

I want to gain a bit of muscle for weight loss purposes because I heard that it increases your metabolism. I find the gym to be really boring, though, just sitting there and lifting weights. And besides I wouldn't be able to get to the gym very often. Anyone have any ideas on some things I could do at home that might be a bit more interesting for me?

Find a group to work out with. I know it's easy to be body conscious, but just know everyone else there is, too.

Dangerous Explorer

I agree with Quies_Letum, exercising with a group is a lot more entertaining and it also contributes to the "mental" factor of perseverance where in my experience, I find it easier to do a lot more when training with someone else. You can find other alternatives than gyms through different sports.
Quit being a wuss and get to a gym is the best advice I can give.
It literally all depends on what you have available to you at home. If anything. But there are hundreds, thousands of exercises even that you can do without any form of equipment. But weights and bosu balls and things of that nature definitely help ^^
Find what motivates you to even go or you'll be wasting money on membership or you gear will collect dust. For me I just watch movies on my iPhone while I lift, did this for years, got my strong muscles now...power level ain't 9000 yet but it's almost.

Ruthless Hunter

7,000 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
TheFinalChronicle
It literally all depends on what you have available to you at home. If anything. But there are hundreds, thousands of exercises even that you can do without any form of equipment. But weights and bosu balls and things of that nature definitely help ^^
I don't have anything and I have absolutely no room for big equipment, but I could get some weights

Ruthless Hunter

7,000 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
ExTERmINATION
Find what motivates you to even go or you'll be wasting money on membership or you gear will collect dust. For me I just watch movies on my iPhone while I lift, did this for years, got my strong muscles now...power level ain't 9000 yet but it's almost.
I hardly ever watch TV or movies. All I can think of is upbeat music.
If your goal is to lose weight you shouldn't be trying to add mass to your body. Weight loss and muscle gain require opposite diets. The heavier you are the more calories you burn just by existing. The only way to gain muscle is by shredding them and feeding them.

Ruthless Hunter

7,000 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Sabra702
If your goal is to lose weight you shouldn't be trying to add mass to your body. Weight loss and muscle gain require opposite diets. The heavier you are the more calories you burn just by existing. The only way to gain muscle is by shredding them and feeding them.
My goal is to lose fat, technically.
I would say find a heavy object and try to figure out an entertaining (and safe) way of moving it around. One simple weight option is just a sandbag. You can buy them at most hardware stores. Alternately, use stuff around your house. Soup cans, furniture, large books, and roommates (or siblings) can all be used for resistance training if you get creative.
Sex is good exercise.

Ruthless Hunter

7,000 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Yes Sequitur
Sex is good exercise.
lol don't tell my boyfriend that or he'll never leave me alone. He is a fitness freak and, you know, a guy.
There is an awesome fitness community that encourages everything from weight-loss and strength training, to eating healthier and being happy with your body. Fitocracy also has a great "game" element that rewards your exercising activities with points! A fun way to get fit, with a very supporting community.
Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press.

Learn what they are and practice proper form with them. This can be done by getting a length of PVC pipe the width of a barbell. 3/4" or 1", can't remember off the top of my head and Im too lazy to google it for you. Watch videos on youtube, should get you like, 90 percent of the way there. Practice high reps, since this is low weight, and volume will build muscle memory, like 5 set X 50-60 reps with as much rest as you need to keep good form.

Then look up Starting Strength or some similar beginner level barbell program. But up the set x rep scheme to more like 5 x 12 for the first four weeks, then switch to 5 x 8 for the next eight. After the initial 12 weeks, take a de-load week, basically a week where your do the same exercises, for the same number of reps, with the same weight as the week prior, but with half the reps.

E.G. Week 12: 5 sets x 8 reps @100lbs Week 13: 5 sets x 4 reps @100 lbs. Basically a week of half the intensity to allow your body to consolidate gains.

After this I would jump into the program as designed 3-5 sets x 3-5 reps with the core lifts, add cleans and bench if you want. Also pullups and dips. Broad jumps never hurt anyone either. Well, I mean, they might have...but its unlikely.

Don't follow the Starting Strength diet advice though, it is crap. I prefer paleo, just make sure you are eating enough. If you start losing overall weight (not just fat) that is not an issue unless you start getting weaker or stagnating, if you do, eat more. Especially more carbs after training.

With this plan you will put on a good bit of muscle in a year, probably ending up close to your genetic strength and muscular potential if you do everything right, which is individual and might include deviations from the plan as I have laid out. If you stick with it for longer, you will be beast.

But you only have to work out for like, less than an hour a day, 2-3 times a week. Warm up, 3 lifts, 3-5 sets each with 3 minutes between sets. Too easy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff