Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rough hands ftw. I have injuries on some of my joints so I have to bind them when doing heavy weights, but I've never needed gloves.

Shirtless Hunter

I know I should, and I still plan on buying some gloves soon.
I've only been getting calluses recently, and I do think that I might have a better grip with gloves rather than without.
I don't really like rough hands as a girl. ^^;
I dont use glovess,mhy hands dont get sweaty like dat n all da weight lifting without gloves helped give me callus on mhy hand soo..ye
MaxKon
Wrist wraps are a bad idea. Asking for injury, the amount of grip used prepares other muscles for the lift, try making a fist, see how all your arm tenses up? Without this you can easily strain a muscle.

Also from a functional standpoint when will you have to pick something up that is strapped to your arm? Rarely if ever, so you really need to have a good grip.
it might be that the exercise isn't meant to work out your grip, nor is it your goal to increase forearm/ grip strength. i use gloves and straps when i'm doing deadlifts because i don't want huge callouses and i aim more for towards working legs and back 3nodding

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
` Shyado
MaxKon
Wrist wraps are a bad idea. Asking for injury, the amount of grip used prepares other muscles for the lift, try making a fist, see how all your arm tenses up? Without this you can easily strain a muscle.

Also from a functional standpoint when will you have to pick something up that is strapped to your arm? Rarely if ever, so you really need to have a good grip.
it might be that the exercise isn't meant to work out your grip, nor is it your goal to increase forearm/ grip strength. i use gloves and straps when i'm doing deadlifts because i don't want huge callouses and i aim more for towards working legs and back 3nodding
Like I said when you grip something hard it tenses all the muscles in your body, which prepares them for work, so you get more out of the exercise and less risk of injury.
Also what is the point of having power in your legs if you cannot hold onto anything?
MaxKon
` Shyado
MaxKon

Like I said when you grip something hard it tenses all the muscles in your body, which prepares them for work, so you get more out of the exercise and less risk of injury.
Also what is the point of having power in your legs if you cannot hold onto anything?
gripping something hard doesn't cue "all the muscles in your body;" gripping something freely in your hand isn't going to prevent lower body or back injuries from occurring.

it's not that i "cannot hold onto anything," but the development and condition of my lower body outstrips my upper body. for others it may be that they only desire to develop their lower body or areas not concerned with grip strength.

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
` Shyado
MaxKon
` Shyado
MaxKon

gripping something hard doesn't cue "all the muscles in your body;" gripping something freely in your hand isn't going to prevent lower body or back injuries from occurring.

it's not that i "cannot hold onto anything," but the development and condition of my lower body outstrips my upper body. for others it may be that they only desire to develop their lower body or areas not concerned with grip strength.
Try gripping something hard, see if your muscles stay loose and relaxed. This isn't something I came up with, it's part of an extended kinetic chain, plus you can also injure your upper body during a dead-lift, squats, etc... if your upper body is not strong enough, since your full body is used to some degree in the exercise.
MaxKon
` Shyado
MaxKon
` Shyado
MaxKon

Try gripping something hard, see if your muscles stay loose and relaxed. This isn't something I came up with, it's part of an extended kinetic chain, plus you can also injure your upper body during a dead-lift, squats, etc... if your upper body is not strong enough, since your full body is used to some degree in the exercise.
if i grip something in my hand, surely my arm and shoulder will be tensed, but it's not like my calves will start tensing. apart from one supposed "expert" (and i'm using the term loosely) who has a theory on extended kinetic chain, there's no mention of such a theory existing, even in a highly reputable scientific search engine. therefore, i am extremely skeptical of its credibility.

while the upper body is used, grip in such exercises as dead-lifts and squats are more for stability and proper rep execution than the target muscles of the exercise. as for the upper body injury tied with such exercises, it's generally more related to core strength/ weakness than in one's grip (hence the core belt in extreme weights).

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
` Shyado
MaxKon
` Shyado
MaxKon
` Shyado
MaxKon

if i grip something in my hand, surely my arm and shoulder will be tensed, but it's not like my calves will start tensing. apart from one supposed "expert" (and i'm using the term loosely) who has a theory on extended kinetic chain, there's no mention of such a theory existing, even in a highly reputable scientific search engine. therefore, i am extremely skeptical of its credibility.

while the upper body is used, grip in such exercises as dead-lifts and squats are more for stability and proper rep execution than the target muscles of the exercise. as for the upper body injury tied with such exercises, it's generally more related to core strength/ weakness than in one's grip (hence the core belt in extreme weights).
Well there is a kinetic chain that extends from your foot to your shoulder, your body always operates as one unit, which is why I have issues with the belt too.
Why do you want to train your legs to be so much stronger than your upper body? It's not terribly functional.
If you just want more power in your legs there are far better ways to do it than simply lifting heavier, such as plyometrics. And for most people they will just end up making some imbalances much worse, like I did when I first trained.
Of course if you are doing this for a bodybuilding purpose and not for some form of fitness or sports performance goal then that changes everything in this discussion, since functionality is not your goal.
I prefer just using chalk most of the time. I like my calluses. (:

I do have some fingerless gloves that I use when maxing on deadlift, and when doing a lot of pullups.
I use black fingerless gloves. It makes my gripo better, my hands won't get damaged, and it looks BAD-a**.
I did when I was a p***y. Now my hands are just rough and tough like leather, and I don't have any need for gloves.

Shirtless Smoker

4,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Shameless Exhibitionist

I just bought myself some gloves today...
Been trying to do chinups, really only building up to doing some, but holycrap, my hands hurt so much from holding on to the bar... My arms have gotten to the point where they're okay, though. biggrin I can't wait to try them! whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff