Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stone-cold Bloodsucker

14,150 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Battle Hardened 150
I bought a pair of black, fingerless gloves at the store and was able to use them last week. What a difference they made! I am able to actually keep a grip on equipment since my hands sweat a lot.

So do you use gloves or wraps when weight lifting? Do you find they help more than when you didn't use them?

Edit: I have to wear something with a bit of support now, as my thumbs are prone to strains/sprains due to my joints and tendons being "out of alignment". My rehab therapist is helping me strengthen my muscles and gave me some supportive "braces" to use so my joints don't pop out of place.

I also have very sweaty hands so I need something to help minimize slipping. I almost hurt myself once due to my sweaty palms (I was working with a kettle-ball and it almost slipped out of my hands onto my foot) so I do need something to minimize the chances of slipping.
Our gym doesn't allow powders, even in the locker rooms, so chalk and the like are out of the question.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
I use gloves with wrist straps just because they make it a bit easier on my wrists, which I've had issues with in the past.
My palms also get very sweaty (when I was playing video games a lot, my sweat would drip and form tiny pools on the floor, under my hands gonk gonk ). To top it off, my grip used to be pathetic. I had the weakest grip of all adults I've ever known.

I'd considered buying gloves, but it was actually the sweatiness of my hands that stopped me from buying them. I didn't want to stuff my gloves with sweat.

So I dealt with this issue by wrapping small towels around the lat pulldown handles. After about three months of pulling them heavy, my grip improved tremendously. In spite of the sweat, I no longer need the towels, and my grip is not the first thing to give in any of my lifts.

Though if you use gloves and find them helpful, good for you! Every person is a different ^^
Sakura Rosina
I bought a pair of black, fingerless gloves at the store and was able to use them last week. What a difference they made! I am able to actually keep a grip on equipment since my hands sweat a lot. There is also less chance of picking up tiny, nasty germs (although I still wipe everything down and sanitize my hands).

So do you use gloves or wraps when weight lifting? Do you find they help more than when you didn't use them?

And as an added note, I'm currently in the process of brightening my gloves with puff paint. 3nodding

No, I don't wear gloves and I have a in home gym.

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Wrist wraps are a bad idea. Asking for injury, the amount of grip used prepares other muscles for the lift, try making a fist, see how all your arm tenses up? Without this you can easily strain a muscle.

Also from a functional standpoint when will you have to pick something up that is strapped to your arm? Rarely if ever, so you really need to have a good grip.

Fashionable Gaian

15,350 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100
I want to buy real gloves someday - but currently I just use my sleeves to lessen the friction between my hands and the metal.

I have no problem with my grip really - it's just that I've got such soft hands that the friction and heat developed in my palms make me want to drop the weight :B

So I have a question - did buying a pair of gloves solve that problem for you? (or maybe you haven't had it to begin with)

Kawaii Cub

I do, mostly because I get really dry hands, and rather than building callouses, I just basically lose my skin, lol.

Governator doesn't recommend it.

Amateur Businessman

I only use gloves on certain exercises like deadlifts, lat pull downs or when a lot of weight

Shameless Lunatic

The material of gloves and the weight of lifting usually make it uncomfortable. My alternative is chalking up my hands. It prevents them from sweating and I feel better.

Sparkly Wizard

10,725 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Novice Mage 100
I usually just chalk up my hands, yeah. I like having the calluses; they're proof of hard work!

Lunatic

13,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150
I have tried numerous times with various brands of gloves, I just gave up and made my own.

Honestly it helps for when I get to that point where I look like I just got out of a pool. xD

Ursine Comrade

Too poor to buy good gloves and campus gym doesn't allow chalk, so I tried wrist wraps. The wraps hindered me more than they helped though, so now I just muscle through and deal with the pain. This helped my forearms develop though, so I'm not complaining, and having good grip strength is pretty helpful on the piano, I find.
i just have calluses

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
I tried gloves, but found I much prefer just taping my hands with homemade "hooks" made out of tape. Gives me the grip I need without making my hands sweaty, and prevents callous tears! biggrin

Champion

siskataya
I tried gloves, but found I much prefer just taping my hands with homemade "hooks" made out of tape. Gives me the grip I need without making my hands sweaty, and prevents callous tears! biggrin
Ooooh, pictures please. I'm interested in what you mean by "hooks". surprised

@OP: I used to use a pair and at first it made a pretty big difference but ever since I lost them, I've been lifting without them. whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff